Issue with Steeda X11 balljoints / SLA Boss Comp LCA's

Chris_Red_V8

Shiny.
Established Member
I have a koni strut coming out for replacement, and while I was inspecting the suspension before disassembly, I found a lot of play in the tire while in the air. I was able to move it laterally about 1/4", and I could see the strut move relative with the wheel. I did some poking around and enlisted some help and could see that the ball joint seemed to have some play in it, on both my arms.

They were purchased in June, installed in July and have logged about 4500 miles (spent most of their time in a paint shop, long story). They were greased on install long with the bushings (they have a zerk on the bottom).

I called Steeda for support, they recommended regreasing them. I've done so and the play has tightened up some (to the point where play in the wheel can be felt, but its much more dampened and more like 1/32"), but my concern is that this is excessive, and that from the factory, the tolerance was much more tight (0-0.3 mm (0-0.012 in) per the service manual). Steering did clean up a bit, but now I'm curious how often they'd require regreasing, and how long until the grease is just pushed out letting the void/tolerance just open back up.

Steeda will take the arms in for inspection (I don't have any stockers) or I can buy another set, but I wanted to get some opinions before I move forward. I'm concerned that with just street use, this could be an issue with those balljoints, and they're not a fun part to replace (removing the rack is a huge PITA to get at the front LCA bolt). I have zero track miles on them, and I bought these arms for that specific purpose.

Also, are the balljoints serviceable as in can they be pressed out and replaced should I want to source a different brand? I wouldn't be as concerned if this was just one side, but being both isn't a good sign.

Deranged2013

Established Member
If I had 1/4 movement with Steeda ball joints after just 4500 miles, I would pull them out and go back to OEM Ball joints. Or try Whiteline or SR performance. With that much play, the grease is just a temporary band aid covering up defective parts. Good luck

Chris_Red_V8

Shiny.
Established Member
Steeda issued a new set of balljoints. I'll at least give them a chance, but we'll see what happens in another 5000 miles.

Otherwise I may consider the howe racing ones from the Boss 302S. Spendy, but should be plenty stout for my needs (considering I never was able to track the steeda ones)

tj@steeda

Established Member
Chris,

I spoke to Gus ... please keep us updated on how they perform.

We have these ball joins on several of our Steeda vehicles ... one being a DD ... without any issues in play.

Best Regards,

TJ

Chris_Red_V8

Shiny.
Established Member
Will do. Don requested I send these back and he'd let me know what you guys found. Please keep on them to follow up on that as I'm curious why these had such a short life.

BMR Tech

Glad to see them promptly address the situation, as I told you they likely would on the other forum.

Unfortunately, these things occasionally happen. Our ball joints have seen similar issues years ago, and it was a defective batch that we had no control over. We don't make our ball joints either, so it is difficult to control these occurrences.

Definitely ensure the new ones are full of grease before abusing them.

Good luck.

Chris_Red_V8

Shiny.
Established Member
Glad to see them promptly address the situation, as I told you they likely would on the other forum.

Unfortunately, these things occasionally happen. Our ball joints have seen similar issues years ago, and it was a defective batch that we had no control over. We don't make our ball joints either, so it is difficult to control these occurrences.

Definitely ensure the new ones are full of grease before abusing them.

Good luck.

I agree, I wasn't trying to put down anyone's parts but maybe make sure that it wasn't something that was common with the part or some sort of setup/misuse issue. Super glad Steeda is handling this in a manner that keeps my car on the road.

Definitely. I'll be sure to grease these and make sure the installation is done with the correct tools by a reputable machine shop.

Thanks for your help with a third party's part, you guys have been great with helping me get this car sorted out (the PRI display you guys had last year was helpful in getting measurements for my oil cooler).

BMR Tech

HAHAHA! No problem sir. Glad to see everything work out for you - even that oil cooler!

Chris_Red_V8

Shiny.
Established Member
To what degree of bad idea is this?

Ball Joint Service Kit for 2WD and 4WD Vehicles

look.gif

Chris_Red_V8

Shiny.
Established Member
the new joints are in, the tool made it easy. 2.5 hour job with breaks for beer, posting useless stuff on facebook, etc.

The new ones were greased, however I gave them a few pumps after install to be safe. the driver's was more loose than the passenger, but when you put the old joints in a vise and check for play, you don't find a whole lot. Not sure what the issue is with these, but my wheels definitely don't move now.

We will see what Steeda finds (thanks again for the great support), and how these fare after a couple months.

Chris_Red_V8

Shiny.
Established Member
Well back to square one. The play is back in the replacement set. These I had greased on install, before a track event and right after. They made 1000ish street miles and one track event.

Frustrating as the play results in sloppy steering and a "tram lining " effect as the tires can move on their own.

Users who are viewing this thread