• Me

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • CCW

Votes: 24 77.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Travis

Established Member
Just looking for some input on an ongoing issue.

I bought a set of SP500 for my 03 SAS Cobra, and was assured that they knew the correct offset for fender flush. I used their offsets, and the tire sizes they recommended.

Once i put the wheels on the car (like 6 months after my initial order due to winter and military schedule), they stick out past the fender about 3/8-1/2 inch on either side.

Once i told ccw about the problem, they agreed to take the wheels back and swap them out for a different offset. The employee said to let him know when they were boxed up and he would give me the RGA number so i could send them back. ( i assumed that meant their account number for fedex/ups so they could pay to ship them back).

Turns out it was just a return authorization number that had nothing to do with shipping and he wanted me to pay to ship them back. I figured whatever, just get it over with so i did.

Now the new wheels are ready and i get an email about them wanting my card info so that i can pay to have them shipped back to me.

So my question is, am i correct thinking its a little unfair to have the customer pay to ship to and from CCW on an issue that wasnt my fault? It cost me $150 to get them to CCW and now they are looking for another $100 the get them back to me.

TLDR: having to pay shipping both ways with CCW on an incorrect offset issue

suicidekings

Garage Queen
Established Member
Exact reason I am waiting till my car is finished before ordering.

My thoughts are.. If they assured you they would fit, that was on them. If they were not 110% sure then they needed to disclose that up front. No you shouldnt have to pay both ways. Maybe only to send the pair back but certainly not to send the right ones to you again. Thats what I would expect if I was in your shoes.

sleek98

Established Member
If you specifically asked for the fitment and they told you it would be correct, which sounds like what happened from your post, then they should pay both ways.

If you just assumed their fitment was correct without asking then its on you.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Pretty much every set of CCW's I've seen on Cobra's sticks out from the fenders a little bit. They are accounting for people that aren't lowered and don't have either shaved or button head IRS bolts. This is especially true if you're trying to fit a wide wheel and tire setup on the car.

I have always been told that you MUST measure your own car for the fitment that you want. When I ordered my AR Torq Thrusts they wouldn't complete the order until I gave them the measurements. You decided to take the word of the company that it fit, which technically speaking they did, just not to your definition of how you wanted them to fit. In order for that to happen, you really needed to measure your car.

It sounds like they gave you a break on the replacement as most wheel manufacturers will not take a wheel back once it has been mounted. Given that, I think it's fair that you would have to pay for shipping.

Last edited:

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That's really unfortunate. I'm betting in their return policies they specifically state freight is not included regardless of fault.

I deal with this sort of issue every so often. Our terms and conditions specifically limit our liability regardless of fault (shipping, in/out charges, lost opportunity, etc.). I will usually prep the client to pay for shipping, invoice them for shipping, but then either credit them or give them a free service (Something to offset the cost) to maintain the relationship. The key is to ensure the client knows you are giving them something typically not included. A good deed unmentioned is a good deed not acknowledged.

My advice would be to accept their shipping policies but also try to get them to pick up one way of the shipping. It's a nice middle ground for both. It sucks for you because you're out the cash but I'd rather be out $150 instead of $250.

Good luck.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
I would need to see a picture of the stick out to make a real judgement. If you told them what you want and it was wrong I say it's on them.

Travis

Established Member
Exact reason I am waiting till my car is finished before ordering.

My thoughts are.. If they assured you they would fit, that was on them. If they were not 110% sure then they needed to disclose that up front. No you shouldnt have to pay both ways. Maybe only to send the pair back but certainly not to send the right ones to you again. Thats what I would expect if I was in your shoes.

If you specifically asked for the fitment and they told you it would be correct, which sounds like what happened from your post, then they should pay both ways.

If you just assumed their fitment was correct without asking then its on you.

Pretty much every set of CCW's I've seen on Cobra's sticks out from the fenders a little bit. They are accounting for people that aren't lowered and don't have either shaved or button head IRS bolts. This is especially true if you're trying to fit a wide wheel and tire setup on the car.

I have always been told that you MUST measure your own car for the fitment that you want. When I ordered my AR Torq Thrusts they wouldn't complete the order until I gave them the measurements. You decided to take the word of the company that it fit, which technically speaking they did, just not to your definition of how you wanted them to fit. In order for that to happen, you really needed to measure your car.

It sounds like they gave you a break on the replacement as most wheel manufacturers will not take a wheel back once it has been mounted. Given that, I think it's fair that you would have to pay for shipping.

That's really unfortunate. I'm betting in their return policies they specifically state freight is not included regardless of fault.

I deal with this sort of issue every so often. Our terms and conditions specifically limit our liability regardless of fault (shipping, in/out charges, lost opportunity, etc.). I will usually prep the client to pay for shipping, invoice them for shipping, but then either credit them or give them a free service (Something to offset the cost) to maintain the relationship. The key is to ensure the client knows you are giving them something typically not included. A good deed unmentioned is a good deed not acknowledged.

My advice would be to accept their shipping policies but also try to get them to pick up one way of the shipping. It's a nice middle ground for both. It sucks for you because you're out the cash but I'd rather be out $150 instead of $250.

Good luck.

All those 18x11 wheels do that. Biggest reason I won't buy them.

I would need to see a picture of the stick out to make a real judgement. If you told them what you want and it was wrong I say it's on them.

i told them i was SAS with an axle out of a mach and they said they had the measurements on file and didnt need me to measure anything. whoops. he said there was nothing to worry about and that they would be fender flush.

oh well. i paid the $100 because im deployed at the moment and i dont have the time or energy to fight them on it.

not impressed at all with ccw's customer service. not sure if they have always been like this or if its because of the weld deal...probably wont be doing business with them again.

i guess i dont get why they call them fender flush when they stick out past the fender a considerable amount

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
i told them i was SAS with an axle out of a mach and they said they had the measurements on file and didnt need me to measure anything. whoops. he said there was nothing to worry about and that they would be fender flush.

oh well. i paid the $100 because im deployed at the moment and i dont have the time or energy to fight them on it.

not impressed at all with ccw's customer service. not sure if they have always been like this or if its because of the weld deal...probably wont be doing business with them again.

i guess i dont get why they call them fender flush when they stick out past the fender a considerable amount

If they told you they would be fender flush, then yeah I would definitely side more with you. I haven't done business with CCW but I had always heard really good things about them. To be honest though, considering that your car is modified from factory original, I'm quite surprised they didn't want measurements from you. Most custom wheel manufacturers require that data. Sadly it sounds like you had a rep on the phone that was more interested in selling you any wheels than the right ones.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
As others have said, would need to see pics. "Fender flush" is not an exact measurement. There are tons of people on here that have setups that stick out some but still manage to tuck up and in, of course those are usually IRS setups. If you are running 11's I hope you don't now end up having rubbing issues on the inside.

Travis

Established Member
As others have said, would need to see pics. "Fender flush" is not an exact measurement. There are tons of people on here that have setups that stick out some but still manage to tuck up and in, of course those are usually IRS setups. If you are running 11's I hope you don't now end up having rubbing issues on the inside.

im out to sea right now and dont have access to the pics of the offset. that would be the cherry on top if now it rubs on the inside haha. i doubt it will though. i had less of an offset with my old wheels and wider tires and i was alright. guess i will find out in the spring

oldmodman

Established Member
The manufacturer should pay whatever it takes to correct their own mistake.

It's not your fault that wheels are heavy and bulky and cost a pretty penny to ship.

And look at what they charge for them in the first place. I would bet their is PLENTY of headroom in there to cover shipping costs. Unless they SCREW UP EVERY SINGLE ORDER!!

Bronze123

Established Member
Is there a price difference in the wheels?

I would try to talk to a manager, and work it out. In my mind bare minimum, send them to you at n/c, since you already spent over 100 on shipping.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member

that's the issue right there, pretty much guaranteed. what size tire were you running? and what brand? guys run 18x11 with fender flush with massive R888s and they dont stick out that much. im positive that you telling him you had an SRA out of a mach went in one ear and out the other. this stuff does happen. ive goofed before too. but they should definitely not be making you cover the cost of the shipping each/either way. ive made similar mistakes and had to eat it big time before with tires on the damn wheels. but that's part of doing business. now, if it was a "difference of opinion" as to what fender flush means and if you were really exaggerating how much theyre sticking out (which ive heard people tell me as well lol) then it would be a different story. but based on your description it definitely sounds like its the SRA goof up is the issue and thats an easy mistake to make (for someone not paying attention lol). had you taken them to a buddys car with an IRS, i bet they would have sat beautifully. in fact, call them up and ask you to provide the backspacing of the first set of wheels and the backspacing of the new wheels. i can tell you whether or not its correct. and if they were indeed wrong, then you should insist that they reimburse you for the cost of shipping. the previous owner would have had no problem doing that. from what ive heard/read, he would never have even charged you to begin with.

it definitely is. as mentioned above, the previous owner John was known for taking care of people like that. im sure this is just part of their new policies. many companies are like that. they dont cover their **** ups. its a shrewd way to do business and make profits. :nonono:

Last edited:

2001sleeper

Established Member
Fender flush is too subjective in my opinion and measurements should have been provided. Does your receipt state any of the fender flush or solid axle measurements?

I think the company is being fair in this ordeal. It sucks as a customer, but at least they are working with you.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
that's the issue right there, pretty much guaranteed. what size tire were you running? and what brand? guys run 18x11 with fender flush with massive R888s and they dont stick out that much. im positive that you telling him you had an SRA out of a mach went in one ear and out the other. this stuff does happen. ive goofed before too. but they should definitely not be making you cover the cost of the shipping each/either way. ive made similar mistakes and had to eat it big time before with tires on the damn wheels. but that's part of doing business. now, if it was a "difference of opinion" as to what fender flush means and if you were really exaggerating how much theyre sticking out (which ive heard people tell me as well lol) then it would be a different story. but based on your description it definitely sounds like its the SRA goof up is the issue and thats an easy mistake to make (for someone not paying attention lol). had you taken them to a buddys car with an IRS, i bet they would have sat beautifully. in fact, call them up and ask you to provide the backspacing of the first set of wheels and the backspacing of the new wheels. i can tell you whether or not its correct. and if they were indeed wrong, then you should insist that they reimburse you for the cost of shipping. the previous owner would have had no problem doing that. from what ive heard/read, he would never have even charged you to begin with.

it definitely is. as mentioned above, the previous owner John was known for taking care of people like that. im sure this is just part of their new policies. many companies are like that. they dont cover their **** ups. its a shrewd way to do business and make profits. :nonono:

That's very good info, Steve. Reading your post and Travis' original post, I totally agree that the latest shipping cost should have been covered by CCW. Customer service can make or break even a company with a good product. Which is why I always recommend True Forged to folks looking for wheels.

blinelaxd27

Established Member
i ordered wheels and winter tires for my infiniti from discount tire direct and they did not fit even though their site and their rep stated they would. they gave me a different wheel that was a little more expensive, prepayed shipping to send wheels back and sent me new wheels with tires already on them at no cost to me.

Users who are viewing this thread