Is your dog food good? Look inside...

txyaloo

Established Member
Most of the major brands people know are really poor in nutritional value as is the crap the vet may recommend.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
Susie - YOur Dane's look like mine. :) I'm stuck on that breed now. Does your Harlequin have any Sight/Hearing problems? How old is he/she?

I dont' buy off of generalities. I buy off of what's best for the bread. Not all breeds need the same percentage and type of nutrients. As a rule of thumb, I generally stay away from anything with fillers though (IE: the cheap stuff).

Last edited:

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
Most of the major brands people know are really poor in nutritional value as is the crap the vet may recommend.

+1. I dont' buy certain name brands because they have fillers too.

I read the labels very closely pending what best suits what my dog needs. I'm extremely picky on what I get my dogs.:beer:

SNCBOOM

Established Member
Do they have a similar report for Cat Food?

Here is a formula to grade your own pet food. http://www.acreaturecomfort.com/ratingpetfood.htm

Some of the high quality dog food manufacturers also make cat food [Innova, Felidae]. But generally, if it is available at a grocery store or petsmart/petco it's probably a low quality food. I get my food from my local Pet Supplies Plus. They have a very large selection of high quality foods.

----------------
Now playing: Avenged Sevenfold - Desecrate Through Reverance
via FoxyTunes

txyaloo

Established Member
Here is a formula to grade your own pet food. pet food rating, pet food ingredients, dog food rating, cat food rating, grain free dog food, grain free cat food, ingredient rating

Some of the high quality dog food manufacturers also make cat food [Innova, Felidae]. But generally, if it is available at a grocery store or petsmart/petco it's probably a low quality food. I get my food from my local Pet Supplies Plus. They have a very large selection of high quality foods.
[/url]

As much as I hate Petco for the way they run their marine fish section, they actually have a really good selection of dog food in their holistic section. This is something new they've started in the last year or two. Every few months when I switch over to Solid Gold from Evo, I get it at Petco.

SNCBOOM

Established Member
I haven't been to one in a few years so I just assumed they were like petsmart. My mistake.

THE_STIG

Established Member
Wow, never knew Beneful was so bad, good thing I switched a few years back. I give him this natural stuff, can't remember the name for the life of me.

ponygt65

Multi-Quotin' Fool
Established Member
As much as I hate Petco for the way they run their marine fish section, they actually have a really good selection of dog food in their holistic section. This is something new they've started in the last year or two. Every few months when I switch over to Solid Gold from Evo, I get it at Petco.

+1. THat's where I get my food from now.

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member

Thanks for the link. :thumbsup:
We currently feed our 4 year old male cat the following:

Dry Food: Hill's Science Diet / Prescription Diet "T/D" Formula (Tartar Control) for Adult Cats
Wet Food: Medi-Cal Preventive Formula for Adult Cats

I will use the self rating system tonight and see how they fare.

Last edited:

txyaloo

Established Member
Thanks for the link. :thumbsup:
We currently feed our 4 year old male cat the following:

Dry Food: Hill's Science Diet / Prescription Diet "T/D" Formula (Tartar Control) for Adult Cats
Wet Food: Medi-Cal Preventive Formula for Adult Cats

I will use the self rating system tonight and see how they fare.

I'll tell you right now the science diet is crap. Anything you get from the vet is. Some of their medicated food is needed, but many times vets put animals on medicated food when they don't need it and could do just as well on a premium food that is actually correctly formulated for a pet's needs.

CobraSusie

Team Shelby Great Lakes State Director (Indiana)
Established Member
Susie - YOur Dane's look like mine. :) I'm stuck on that breed now. Does your Harlequin have any Sight/Hearing problems? How old is he/she?

My harlequin is completely deaf, I bought her from a breeder (knowing this when she was 2) he is an excellent dog trainer so she came to me housebroken and fully sign trained, best dog ever!

She is 5 years old now.

CobraSusie

Team Shelby Great Lakes State Director (Indiana)
Established Member
Wednesday, June 03, 2009

News FeedComments
Home
Forum
Dog Food Ratings
Contact Us
Links

Browse > Home / What’s really in your dog’s food?
September 7, 2008 by admin
Filed under Dog Food General
Leave a Comment

Above is a dog food label from a pretty popular dog food. Does the food you feed your dog have some of the same, if not the exact same ingredients? If so, you could be slowly killing your dog. The label above is from a brand of dog food that is bought by millions. If only they knew what they are actually feeding their dog, their friend and their campanion.

Lets take a look at this label and break it down. The most important ingredients are the first five. We will take a look at these.

Corn - Dog back teeth are not as flat as their best friends. There for it is harder for our furry ones to properly digest corn that is used in making dog food. Corn is used as a filler by most commercial dog food companies. When looking at the first ingredient in dog food, look for something that has meat such as, chicken or lamb.
Soybean Meal- If your dog is tolerable to Soybean Meal (not all are) it is alright in small amounts. Not as a second ingredient in your dogs food.
Beef and Bone Meal - Beef and Bone is basically the left over parts of animals AFTER the animal as been stripped of all its quality parts. What is left can be ground up and considered Beef or Bone meal and can include some of the following:
Blood
Hair
Hoofs
Hide Trimmings
Manure
Wheat Flour -
Animal Fat - The fat of the animals is necessarily the bad part. Its the quality of animals that these commercial dog food companies get their food. The rendered animals can come from any source. The animals used could have been at one time dead, dying, diseased or disabled.
VN:F [1.1.4_465]

please wait...
Rate this dog food: 6.0/10 (1 vote cast)

SVT-VNM

*** Snow, Needs to Detail
Established Member
Both our Jacks get Purina Small Breed formula - but some Purinas on that list are great while other failed. I'll have to take the time to actually grade it since its not on the list.

Users who are viewing this thread