Is wheel hop an issue with the new Cobra?

eci

Banned
BS. Every other GT500 owner I've seen has complained of massive wheelhop. Get BMR LCA and UCA.

EvanStang

the "Hit Man"
Established Member
I wouldn't think they would wheel hop, it doesn't even have IRS.... I've had several live axle cars and never had wheel hop... I thought it was only from the IRS.... I could be wrong... I've haven't heard of any wheel hop issues with the GT500.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
a live axle is not immune to wheel hop. There's one commercial for the mustang GT (05+) that you can clearly hear a bit of wheel hop in the tire squeel.

It shouldn't be anywhere near as bad as what people complain about with the IRS Cobras...even though I didn't have issues with my 03 cobra and I don't have hop issues with my 99 either...

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
my shelby has hopped 3 times. 2 times while doing a dry burnout at the track on the stock rubber @ 27psi...and one time slamming second at the track it hopped about 4-5 times.

I drive the shit out of my car on the street and it never hops. My term didn't hop much at all either, but it did a whole lot more than my shelby ever has. Every time I powershifted second it would hop a couple of times, and if it was cold out it would hop in first.

I put bmr adjustable upper and lower control arms (and a 1 piece aluminum driveshaft and safety loop) in my shelby last Sunday, but the car has been at the paint shop getting the lower trim painted since Monday so I don't have any seat time.

wildosvt04

Established Member
Haven't had any issues with it. I expect it in second after the shock though.
Shit my buddies 04 Vette does the same thing after a second gear rip. (I know, I've done it in his car)

But the wheel hop (if you can even call it that) is NOTHING like what happens on 99-04 Cobra's I can guarantee you that!

Last edited:

chuckstang

Established Member
do you own a gt500 or have personally driven one?
I remember my solid ass gt mustang hopped but just not nearly as bad as my 99 cobra.

wildosvt04 said:
Haven't had any issues with it. I expect it in second after the shock though.
Shit my buddies 04 Vette does the same thing after a second gear rip. (I know, I've done it in his car)

But the wheel hop (if you can even call it that) is NOTHING like what happens on 99-04 Cobra's I can guarantee you that!

cobraCMDR

I Whine
Established Member
Live axles do hop. Thats why ford put quadrashoks on them to prevent this. My 03 GT never hopped. does the new mustang/gt500 have quadrashoks or another device to keep the axle planted during a burnout? I honestly don't know. But if it hops at all I would say it does not. Oh and all you buying upper and low CL arms try getting some better tires. my 04 has a BF brace and with et streets I have never had hop during a burnout. Now the F1s are another story. Can't wait to get some BFG's or M/T DRS

wildosvt04

Established Member
chuckstang said:
do you own a gt500 or have personally driven one?
I remember my solid ass gt mustang hopped but just not nearly as bad as my 99 cobra.

Why yes I do own one Chuck. :burnout:

DSC02340.JPG

The wheel hopping 04 goes back sometime next week. me>:bash:<the 04

My 2001 Snake was just as bad as your 99 at wheel hop.:nonono:

chuckstang

Established Member
wildosvt04 said:
Why yes I do own one Chuck. :burnout:

DSC02340.JPG

The wheel hopping 04 goes back sometime next week. me>:bash:<the 04

My 2001 Snake was just as bad as your 99 at wheel hop.:nonono:

Gorgeous car! The wheel hop in my car is really wearing on me and getting old. The 3 link solid in the gt500 was actually a turn on for me and I hope its hop free

CPViolation

Car Crazy
Established Member
Torch10th said:
a live axle is not immune to wheel hop. There's one commercial for the mustang GT (05+) that you can clearly hear a bit of wheel hop in the tire squeel.

It shouldn't be anywhere near as bad as what people complain about with the IRS Cobras...even though I didn't have issues with my 03 cobra and I don't have hop issues with my 99 either...
I love my IRS. No wheel hop if you do it right.

Users who are viewing this thread