Is this a Cop Trick?

Ford>Chevy

Established Member
Here in Masshole County (MA), I drive in the left lane all the time, and never get pulled over or followed. And I'll be doing 70 in a 60, and the cops just turn the other way. Luck I guess. Drivers up here suck a** anyway, at least from my experience. My Drivers Ed instructor was a cop, and he told me cops don't care if you go 5-10 over, at least that's what he said. His best advice was to floor it when merging on the highway lmao.....

Dusten

Established Member
Last night I was driving back from a football tourney (which my team won) and was passing through Bellevue, WA on the 405. I was doing the speed limit since traffic was a bit heavy. Next thing I know, my radar is on full freak out mode.

A King County Sheriff flew up behind me fast, he was easily going 20+ over the limit with no lights on. He was within a foot of my bumper and I didn't slow down or tap the breaks so he was forced to slow down. He was riding my tail at 60 which was dangerous as hell (couldn't see his headlights) so I just put on my blinker and got over in the next lane. He sat on my side for a min, I rolled my window down and waved at him as I have no issues with the law, no tint, nothing...

So here is the question, is that a game some police play with muscle/sports cars? Or was he just trying to be a jerk? :rolling:
In Washington is illegal to drive in a lane other than the right unless passing traffic to your right, so if a faster cat comes up behind you, you have to move over.

rosem32

Established Member
In Washington is illegal to drive in a lane other than the right unless passing traffic to your right, so if a faster cat comes up behind you, you
have to move over.

Here is the RCW for you. I like blanket answer and I expect you to also drive on the right half of the road too if your not passing someone. I drive to not hinder anyone but not crazy enough to beg for a ticket.

[h=2]RCW 46.61.100[/h][h=1]Keep right except when passing, etc.[/h]
(1) Upon all roadways of sufficient width a vehicle shall be driven upon the right half of the roadway, except as follows:

(a) When overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction under the rules governing such movement;

(b) When an obstruction exists making it necessary to drive to the left of the center of the highway; provided, any person so doing shall yield the right-of-way to all vehicles traveling in the proper direction upon the unobstructed portion of the highway within such distance as to constitute an immediate hazard;

(c) Upon a roadway divided into three marked lanes and providing for two-way movement traffic under the rules applicable thereon;

(d) Upon a street or highway restricted to one-way traffic; or

(e) Upon a highway having three lanes or less, when approaching a stationary authorized emergency vehicle, tow truck or other vehicle providing roadside assistance while operating warning lights with three hundred sixty degree visibility, or police vehicle as described under *RCW 46.61.212(2).

(2) Upon all roadways having two or more lanes for traffic moving in the same direction, all vehicles shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic, except (a) when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction, (b) when traveling at a speed greater than the traffic flow, (c) when moving left to allow traffic to merge, or (d) when preparing for a left turn at an intersection, exit, or into a private road or driveway when such left turn is legally permitted. On any such roadway, a vehicle or combination over ten thousand pounds shall be driven only in the right-hand lane except under the conditions enumerated in (a) through (d) of this subsection.

(3) No vehicle towing a trailer or no vehicle or combination over ten thousand pounds may be driven in the left-hand lane of a limited access roadway having three or more lanes for traffic moving in one direction except when preparing for a left turn at an intersection, exit, or into a private road or driveway when a left turn is legally permitted. This subsection does not apply to a vehicle using a high occupancy vehicle lane. A high occupancy vehicle lane is not considered the left-hand lane of a roadway. The department of transportation, in consultation with the Washington state patrol, shall adopt rules specifying (a) those circumstances where it is permissible for other vehicles to use the left lane in case of emergency or to facilitate the orderly flow of traffic, and (b) those segments of limited access roadway to be exempt from this subsection due to the operational characteristics of the roadway.

(4) It is a traffic infraction to drive continuously in the left lane of a multilane roadway when it impedes the flow of other traffic.

(5) Upon any roadway having four or more lanes for moving traffic and providing for two-way movement of traffic, a vehicle shall not be driven to the left of the center line of the roadway except when authorized by official traffic control devices designating certain lanes to the left side of the center of the roadway for use by traffic not otherwise permitted to use such lanes, or except as permitted under subsection (1)(b) of this section. However, this subsection shall not be construed as prohibiting the crossing of the center line in making a left turn into or from an alley, private road or driveway.

[2007 c 83 § 2; 1997 c 253 § 1; 1986 c 93 § 2; 1972 ex.s. c 33 § 1; 1969 ex.s. c 281 § 46; 1967 ex.s. c 145 § 58; 1965 ex.s. c 155 § 15.]
[h=2]Notes:[/h]
Rules of court: Monetary penalty schedule -- IRLJ 6.2. *Reviser's note: RCW 46.61.212 was amended by 2010 c 252 § 1, changing subsection (2) to subsection (1)(d)(ii), effective January 1, 2011.
Legislative intent -- 1986 c 93: "It is the intent of the legislature, in this 1985 [1986] amendment of RCW 46.61.100, that the left-hand lane on any state highway with two or more lanes in the same direction be used primarily as a passing lane." [1986 c 93 § 1.]
Information on proper use of left-hand lane: RCW 28A.220.050, 46.20.095, 46.82.430, 47.36.260.

Dusten

Established Member
Here is the RCW for you. I like blanket answer and I expect you to also drive on the right half of the road too if your not passing someone. I drive to not hinder anyone but not crazy enough to beg for a ticket.

[h=2]RCW 46.61.100[/h][h=1]Keep right except when passing, etc.[/h]
(1) Upon all roadways of sufficient width a vehicle shall be driven upon the right half of the roadway, except as follows:

(a) When overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction under the rules governing such movement;

(b) When an obstruction exists making it necessary to drive to the left of the center of the highway; provided, any person so doing shall yield the right-of-way to all vehicles traveling in the proper direction upon the unobstructed portion of the highway within such distance as to constitute an immediate hazard;

(c) Upon a roadway divided into three marked lanes and providing for two-way movement traffic under the rules applicable thereon;

(d) Upon a street or highway restricted to one-way traffic; or

(e) Upon a highway having three lanes or less, when approaching a stationary authorized emergency vehicle, tow truck or other vehicle providing roadside assistance while operating warning lights with three hundred sixty degree visibility, or police vehicle as described under *RCW 46.61.212(2).

(2) Upon all roadways having two or more lanes for traffic moving in the same direction, all vehicles shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for traffic, except (a) when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction, (b) when traveling at a speed greater than the traffic flow, (c) when moving left to allow traffic to merge, or (d) when preparing for a left turn at an intersection, exit, or into a private road or driveway when such left turn is legally permitted. On any such roadway, a vehicle or combination over ten thousand pounds shall be driven only in the right-hand lane except under the conditions enumerated in (a) through (d) of this subsection.

(3) No vehicle towing a trailer or no vehicle or combination over ten thousand pounds may be driven in the left-hand lane of a limited access roadway having three or more lanes for traffic moving in one direction except when preparing for a left turn at an intersection, exit, or into a private road or driveway when a left turn is legally permitted. This subsection does not apply to a vehicle using a high occupancy vehicle lane. A high occupancy vehicle lane is not considered the left-hand lane of a roadway. The department of transportation, in consultation with the Washington state patrol, shall adopt rules specifying (a) those circumstances where it is permissible for other vehicles to use the left lane in case of emergency or to facilitate the orderly flow of traffic, and (b) those segments of limited access roadway to be exempt from this subsection due to the operational characteristics of the roadway.

(4) It is a traffic infraction to drive continuously in the left lane of a multilane roadway when it impedes the flow of other traffic.

(5) Upon any roadway having four or more lanes for moving traffic and providing for two-way movement of traffic, a vehicle shall not be driven to the left of the center line of the roadway except when authorized by official traffic control devices designating certain lanes to the left side of the center of the roadway for use by traffic not otherwise permitted to use such lanes, or except as permitted under subsection (1)(b) of this section. However, this subsection shall not be construed as prohibiting the crossing of the center line in making a left turn into or from an alley, private road or driveway.

[2007 c 83 § 2; 1997 c 253 § 1; 1986 c 93 § 2; 1972 ex.s. c 33 § 1; 1969 ex.s. c 281 § 46; 1967 ex.s. c 145 § 58; 1965 ex.s. c 155 § 15.]
[h=2]Notes:[/h]
Rules of court: Monetary penalty schedule -- IRLJ 6.2. *Reviser's note: RCW 46.61.212 was amended by 2010 c 252 § 1, changing subsection (2) to subsection (1)(d)(ii), effective January 1, 2011.
Legislative intent -- 1986 c 93: "It is the intent of the legislature, in this 1985 [1986] amendment of RCW 46.61.100, that the left-hand lane on any state highway with two or more lanes in the same direction be used primarily as a passing lane." [1986 c 93 § 1.]
Information on proper use of left-hand lane: RCW 28A.220.050, 46.20.095, 46.82.430, 47.36.260.
I spend 130 miles a day on the freeway. I have no issue driving in the right lane except when passing.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
Cobra_4
Red Rocket Mike
Troponin
Siver03SVT

I wasn't in the fast lane/ far left lane. I was in the middle lane, they need rams and shooting tires out? WTF :) .... 3 lanes...sheesh some people need the mental evaluations again...lol

I apologize for suggesting you should be plowed off the road for being in the left lane which you were not in. I think the middle is fair game and I usually pick that lane because it gives me the most room to maneuver in an emergency. Is it a cop trick? Yes it is. I've experienced it and I know 2 people who've taken the bait and received tickets for speeding. The cop will ride your ass hoping you get mad and hammer down so he can pull you over. The one time it happened to me I did not react, I know those CV headlights, but I was still pulled over.

cbj5259

Established Member
I apologize for suggesting you should be plowed off the road for being in the left lane which you were not in. I think the middle is fair game and I usually pick that lane because it gives me the most room to maneuver in an emergency. Is it a cop trick? Yes it is. I've experienced it and I know 2 people who've taken the bait and received tickets for speeding. The cop will ride your ass hoping you get mad and hammer down so he can pull you over. The one time it happened to me I did not react, I know those CV headlights, but I was still pulled over.
I guess they didn't teach me this trick in my academy? Lol, I feel cheated. See my earlier post for the plethora of reasons why a police officer may seem to be riding your bumper.

Last edited:

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
I guess they didn't teach me this trick in my academy? Lol, I feel cheated. See my earlier post for the plethora of reasons why a police officer may seem to be riding your bumper.

Your reasons don't seem like good reasons, aside from the one about just being an idiot. They center around the officer trying to read a plate and match a driver description. If the officer was as close as the OP claims I don't think he would be able to see the low rear bumper plate past his own hood. And I don't know if he would be getting a description of much else than the back of his head, if you can even see that past the Recaro seats. If it were me, with free lanes to his left and right, I would first go for a look through his driver or passenger side window and see the plate while approaching. All without raising the level of risk and making it obvious to the driver that someone is interested in him. Unless I wanted to pull him over, then I would just ride his ass and hope he sped up. They don't even need to teach this to me lol.

Last edited:

cbj5259

Established Member
Your reasons don't seem like good reasons, aside from the one about just being an idiot. They center around the officer trying to read a plate and match a driver description. If the officer was as close as the OP claims I don't think he would be able to see the low rear bumper plate past his own hood. And I don't know if he would be getting a description of much else than the back of his head, if you can even see that past the Recaro seats. If it were me, with free lanes to his left and right, I would first go for a look through his driver or passenger side window and see the plate while approaching. All without raising the level of risk and making it obvious to the driver that someone is interested in him. Unless I wanted to pull him over, then I would just ride his ass and hope he sped up. They don't even need to teach this to me lol.
Well...like I said there are a number of reasons to get close to a vehicle and stick with it for a bit. 1) The officer is getting fresh info on a BOLO that just occured. The officer may or may not have a mobile data terminal that is working or is receiving updated information and is waiting for verification via the radio, which can take several minutes. If the vehicle was potentially just used in a violent crime with a firearm implied or used, ie a robbery, homicide, etc...you would not pull alongside the vehicle and expose yourself to a potential round coming your way. 2) Traffic complaints that are happening in real time. I can't tell you how many people call in "reckless, speeding, dui" drivers everyday. On average the officers on my squad probably handle nearly 20 complaints per shift. The caller is usually on with dispatch and dispatch is relaying the information in real time to the officer on the road. The officer needs to verify that they are following the correct vehicle because 8 times out of 10 the complainant provides the wrong tag information. This requires following the car, relaying the info to dispatch and having the dispatcher re-verify the description with the original complainant via phone. It can take several minutes...all of which the target vehicle will be followed and followed closely until the information is either verified or not.

I have been doing this job for over 17 years...am a patrol supervisor and have never done, seen or encouraged what you are proposing is a cop trick...and trust me, I know some tricks and that's not one. So you can either take my word for it or keep going with your theory. Either way, it's no skin off my back, but just figured I would try to help you out.

Users who are viewing this thread