Is this a Cop Trick?

Lt. ZO6

Established Member
I've initiated enough disciplinary actions against officers to know that anything is possible. Cops don't grow on trees...

ViperRed91GT

Lightning Guru
Established Member
Obviously not the case in your situation, but I have actually found it safer to not run the front lights and only run the rears while traveling to certain calls. You'd be surprised the stupid stuff people do when they see lights everywhere. The rear lights are just to show that I'm going somewhere important once I've passed.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
jblood37, I should have been more detailed off the start. I thought it was already a law in every state and everyone knew that you cant sit in the left lane at the speed limit or else you got a ticket.

FHP would be bringing in billions of revenue here in Florida if that was the case.

JST A HDA

Established Member
Prob was en route to a call that didnt need to run ER but needed to get there fast. Some departments will only let you run ER on specific calls while other departments (like mine) prefer you to run ER so people will get the hell out of your way lol. I work midnights now and I cant tell you the last time I ran with lights somewhere....when I was on 3-11's though....ER pretty much half the time because of the traffic.

But like others have said...get the hell out of the left lane unless your passing someone lol. Thats what I love bout goin through KY. Its a law there that youre not allowed to be in the left lane unless to pass and they WILL pull you over for it and issue you a ticket for it.

Last edited:

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
A few years ago I was in the left lane during rush hour with cars all around me when i noticed a cop flew up on my tail. I wasn't speeding but I was keeping up with traffic. I had cars in front of me, and beside me, so there was no where I could go. He was shoved so far up my tail I could barely see his hood. Riding my ass will piss me off about as quick as anything especially if I can't go anywhere else. I had enough so I politely reached over and slowly grabbed the E brake (no brake lights). He wound up having to turn into the median to keep from hitting me. I seen the whole thing in the mirror. I went on like nothing happened.

:lol:

Stanley

Established Member
Premium Member
Cobra_4
Red Rocket Mike
Troponin
Siver03SVT

I wasn't in the fast lane/ far left lane. I was in the middle lane

But like others have said...get the hell out of the left lane unless your passing someone lol. Thats what I love bout goin through KY. Its a law there that youre not allowed to be in the left lane unless to pass and they WILL pull you over for it and issue you a ticket for it.

venom_inc

Killing time at work.
Established Member
Should have called 911 and said there was a car dangerously tailgating you and feel that you are being threatened.

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
80-1aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaacccccccccccccccccccccc_63780a69324426478f9cc97fe95b78469f8583a8.jpg

rosem32

Established Member
BADWS6TA, Bet I am telling the whole story. Jesus....I was in the middle lane, cop blasted up behind me with no lights (20 over), I then got into the far right lane, then he sat beside me for a min until I waved. Then he speeds off to another car...not much of a story.

I was seeing if it was a trick by asking cops on here. Have a nice day.

cbj5259

Established Member
Could have been any number of things, including the cop being an idiot, but I'm going to guess there was a reason. Off the top of my head: he/she just received a BOLO for a car matching your car's description and got up on you to confirm the plate and/or the driver description. Once he made said observations and determined it wasn't you or your car, he backed off. Not all police officers have eagle eye vision (especially at night and maybe on the wrong side of 40, don't ask me how I know) and have to get fairly close up to a car to grab the digits off a plate. Stuff like that happens all the time.

Last edited:

Gravik

Established Member
Could have been any number of things, including the cop being an idiot, but I'm going to guess there was a reason. Off the top of my head: he/she just received a BOLO for a car matching your car's description and got up on you to confirm the plate and/or the driver description. Once he made said observations and determined it wasn't you or your car, he backed off. Not all police officers have eagle eye vision (especially at night and maybe on the wrong side of 40, don't ask me how I know) and have to get fairly close up to a car to grab the digits off a plate. Stuff like that happens all the time.
I thought most police cars were equipped with automatic plate scanners?

cbj5259

Established Member
I thought most police cars were equipped with automatic plate scanners?
No most arent. In my entire county there are maybe 25 cars equipped with LPR's. There are over 600 police officers and probably over 300 cars. The problem is cost. My station only has one car equipped with it. The cost for the system is about $22k per vehicle.

Snake Plissken

Established Member
Speaking of plate scanners...

Visiting a friend that lives on a four lane (40mph) road and a police officer sits in the suicide lane with the plate scanner car. I ask my buddy, what's up with the cop sitting in the suicide lane? His reply, I don't know, but I have the video going. Waiting for someone to hit him. Then it'll be YouTube time.

Seems like a poor choice, putting other people's lives in danger besides his own.

Last edited:

snakedoctor

Established Member
A state trooper tailgated me for 15-20 miles on a highway (55 MPH limit). I had my cruise set at 55 before he even came up on me. I was 17 and driving an 89 Trans Am, he was driving an unmarked Z28. I finally let the teenager in me win and sped away from him up to about 105. He promptly caught up with me, pulled me over, and ticketed me.

I have no doubt some LEO's use this as a tactic....especially in an unmarked car.

We had this happen when I was in high school. There was a part-time cop that would cruise around in his personal Z-28, I think it was around an '87. He would pull up to people on the weekends that were cruising (usually IROC-Z'S AND 5.0'S) And instigate races at the red light. When the other person would take off like a bat out of hell, he would hit the lights and pull them over.

Snake Plissken

Established Member
The LEOs around here are on "thin ice" when it comes to pulling people over. Especially if they're African-American. I think we all know why.

Users who are viewing this thread