Is there anything wrong

Tin Knocker

Established Member
Is there actually anything wrong with the stock motorcraft oil? I've read a lot of post about people switching to synthetics for various reasons. But I don't think anyone has said that the stock oil is bad, or is it?

03snakerush

Established Member
Changed my oil 3 times so far in 4800 miles and all I've used is the Motorcraft 5w-20w. So far so good but after reading and debating with others here I'm inclined to go with a synthetic on the next oil change.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The stock oil is fine. Synthetics will extend your protection and reduce friction, but for the average driver the stock oil should be more than adequate. The important thing is to change your oil and filter at least every 3,000 miles. I do mine about every 2,000 miles but then again I don't put more than 500 miles on the engine a month. I personally plan on switching to Red Line oil but it's probably an over-kill for me.
:)

StreetSnake

Established Member
I agree with CobraBob I have used the Motorcraft also, and I also change my oil every 2000 miles. BTW really good price on it at Walmart:beer:

03 COBRA SB

Rocky Mtn. SVT Cobra
Established Member
Originally posted by Tin Knocker
Is there actually anything wrong with the stock motorcraft oil? I've read a lot of post about people switching to synthetics for various reasons. But I don't think anyone has said that the stock oil is bad, or is it?

depends how you use your Cobra, mine sits in the garage alot, and i race at least once a month. I use Mobil 1 0W20 and change it after every race trip or 3 months if normal use(balls to the wall). I only have 4k miles in the first year.

add:

if you have ever seen a motor broke down after years of fossil oil use, you will never put in again.

Last edited:

Tin Knocker

Established Member
Thank you for the replies. Your right, it depends on how someone uses the car. If it's a daily driver or not, or if its raced or not. I'm with you CobraBob on changing around 2000 mi. I don't drive mine a lot either. But maybe thats a good reason to change to synthetics. It will protect the engine better on start ups after sitting for a while. And I guess it wouldn't break down, or thicken as much when sitting.

Wilson & Co

SnakeJockeyExtraordinaire
Established Member
Hey Tin-
Feel bad for you guys in this weather..Hot & Humid!!! My friend is a plumber and says you guys have it worse than him!!..

SVT F15O

Rest night.
Established Member
Motorcraft Synthetic Blend 5W-20 here. Nothing but. The Lightning has gone 22,000 miles with a boat load of 1/4 mile runs and no problems. -Mat-

Tin Knocker

Established Member
Originally posted by Wilson & Co
Hey Tin-
Feel bad for you guys in this weather..Hot & Humid!!! My friend is a plumber and says you guys have it worse than him!!..

You got that right. Hot as hell in the summer and freezing your a$$ off in the winter. But the money is awsome.:-D

davidmax

Established Member
I have a 30K motor in the 03' and a 75k motor C5R 427 TT on my Z06 and I use redline 10-30 on all my motors and on all my Turbo cars I change at 4500 mile intervals and on SC motors every 5500 miles.
If I'm balls to the wall I change at 3k but no sooner .
I just tore down an 01' Z06 motorthat did the Xtreme Red Line syn motor 10-30 oil every 4500 mile.I built this motor 66,000 miles ago and he placed a 300 HP shot of juice in it and burned (melted) his #2 pisto and the heads and and rotating assembl were so new looking it was better than i ever thought and he often went 5-6k intervals.
I'm sold on the Xtra 1-2.00 bucks per QT. and he wanted to blow the motor,he already had a 150 shot on it and got crazy turned a couple of 9.65's and now his C5R Daytona is going in next 2 weeks or so with a 12 lb. TT maybe 17 lbs and 8000.00 more for ceramic ball bearing turbos and larger ones to make 800+ rrwhp.
He promised me no gas on this 1 Its a 55k setup and I want it to live specially with variable boost,no warranty.With fixed boost and we build the motor its about 725 rrwhp and a 24/24 warrantty,Dave Smilovic

Sonic 03 Cobra

Yes, that's a 2011
Established Member
Why waste your money changing every 2k miles? If Ford thinks it can go 5k, and has to write 100k mile warrantees on that, I am confident that the oil can last 5k between changes. Now if you drive like a friggin lunatic then maybe the 3k "severe duty" schedule is better for you. But 2k? Comeon, that's just pissing money away, especially when each change is like 50$.

Coyote 5.0

Member BED Racing
Established Member
I have my dealer change the oil. Motorcraft oil and filter every 3K.
Did the same with my 1997 CObra, Had 80K when I sold it and it didn't use or leak any oil.

Tin Knocker

Established Member
Originally posted by Sonic 03 Cobra
Why waste your money changing every 2k miles? If Ford thinks it can go 5k, and has to write 100k mile warrantees on that, I am confident that the oil can last 5k between changes. Now if you drive like a friggin lunatic then maybe the 3k "severe duty" schedule is better for you. But 2k? Comeon, that's just pissing money away, especially when each change is like 50$.

You're right. If you drive your car every day, changing at 2k is a waste of money. But it will take me 5 to 6 months to reach 2k. I don't think I should wait longer than that to change the oil. Or can I?

caveman6666

V8 Ford, V Twin Hogs.
Established Member
Originally posted by Tin Knocker
You're right. If you drive your car every day, changing at 2k is a waste of money. But it will take me 5 to 6 months to reach 2k. I don't think I should wait longer than that to change the oil. Or can I?

With mineral oil, the long intervals may result in increased sludge buildup. You should be OK with synthetic.

KOTH

Hang loose - travel light
Established Member
Originally posted by Sonic Blue
I have my dealer change the oil. Motorcraft oil and filter every 3K.
Did the same with my 1997 CObra, Had 80K when I sold it and it didn't use or leak any oil.

My plan as well.

Users who are viewing this thread