is there any way to check the octane rating of gas?

hudson231

Established Member
I have a 2014 gt with about 6k miles on it. Im running an aed tune, o/r x, 1 piece drive shaft, airaid cai, and drs. I contacted shaun about getting a tune for nitrous. He told me based on my previous logs i would be pushing it with a 50 shot due to fuel quility. He said he would not do a tune for me unless i started running race gas. Now just to make sure were on the same page im not bashing him in any way. Sometimes he can be a little abrasive but imo hes still a tier 1 tuner.
Anyways back to the original question. Ive alwase ran chevron gas. I was wondering if there was a way to test other brands and compare them. I know i could do data logs and watch the knock but im trying to see if there is a test you can do without makeing your car know
Thanks

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
To get an accurate ready you're going to need some lab grade equipment, which isn't cheap. I'd like to have one for the site. I may have to look in to getting one.

Rct851

Established Member
im starting to look into storing some race fuel to blend with the 93oct I put in it just to be sure the quality is good. it's not my daily driver so the cost isn't that bad for peace of mind.

And obviously because racecar lol

hudson231

Established Member
alright thanks all
I know it varies from region to region and im thanking instead of n2o just go ahead a do a torque converter

50blackout

Established Member
When I first got my sct x4 I would see how much the knock sensor would react with each companies gas (Octane rating is not the "be all end all" for knock, there are many other factors like load, temperature, etc.) I found that 76 and Costco gas was causing the least amount of knock. Conclusion: maybe their gas is a little bit better? )

I totally understand why you want to find the octane of each gas because sometimes you fill up and wonder "Did I just put premium, or the did the truck driver "accidently" dump some regular in the premium tank? Or maybe I got the "bottom" of the tank?) With your mods, good gas is important.

Anyway, good luck, finding the best gas station is like finding the pot of gold! (at least here in CA)

SixPak

Established Member
I often put a couple (two) gallons of E85 in a tank of gas and notice an immediate improvement in performance, especially in the summer heat here in Texas. Gas mileage suffers a little, but I'm not worried about that.

cjd223

Established Member
So Hudson you live in LA? Costco is all I run in our vehicles. I wounder what 100 octane aviation gas runs now. That's all I ran in my old turbo Buick for the street. Track? 108 octane race gas. I ran lots of boost and timing. Back in the day one could buy 100 octane Sunoco.

Last edited:

SixPak

Established Member
So Hudson you live in LA? Costco is all I run in our vehicles. I wounder what 100 octane aviation gas runs now. That's all I ran in my old turbo Buick for the street. Track? 108 octane race gas. I ran lots of boost and timing. Back in the day one could buy 100 octane Sunoco.
I can remember Sunoco selling 105 at the pump. I believe they had a different formula for rating octane back then, but 105 was about the highest you could get on the streets. I think the local small airports sold 110 but would not pump it into your car. You had to bring you own gas cans and transfer it.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I often put a couple (two) gallons of E85 in a tank of gas and notice an immediate improvement in performance, especially in the summer heat here in Texas. Gas mileage suffers a little, but I'm not worried about that.

You're effectively leaning out your car by adding in the E85.

50blackout

Established Member
And ARCO is now tier one? That used to be the crappiest gas around.

When I was doing my "testing" Arco was one of if not the worst gas. I had 5 degrees timing being pulled consistently. To make sure it wasn't a "bad" batch I tried it again twice. Same results. Went to Costco right after and there was vey little or no knock.

Quesplosive

Atomic Snake #3
Established Member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRWVH8_TMN0&list=UUmvW5ZBWVG-D1aVCZQCLS6w
This is the type of test equipment used by the blending companies and most refineries.

Ah the good old knock engines. I used to rate gas at a refinery. Basically you get your reference fuel ( mixture made to get correct octane number; made from a mixing chart) and rate both the motor and research engine. Then you go ahead and add your fuel and see what number you get for each engine, add them then divide by two. Thats your octane number. I was about to start doing some batch testing on xylene and toluene. Was going to also test what torco really did. Only thing i switched jobs before I did my tests.

Last edited:

36382mm

Established Member
Back in the day I remember going around and testing the specific gravity of their premium grade from different stations. Don't remember what the relationship between specific gravity and octane is if any but it should give you an idea of consistency. The best part it's a very simple setup.

Users who are viewing this thread