Is there aftermarket head for 03-04?

saadcobra

Be away from me
Established Member
I don’t know if there is or not. If there is, what is the diff. btw stock head and aftermarket? Any gain in hp? How much they cost?Will it fix the tick that on the stock head?:??:

00 Aggie

Its just a slow vert...
Established Member
I don't think there is, but you can port and polish the heads (there are a few companies that do this).

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Stock flow really well. But you could just get an Aviator set and build it up yourself.

mystic1

KB'd BITCH!!!!
Established Member
I know VT engines has the factory warmed over with porting, polishing and then upgrade the cams also. This is one of they very last things that you should want to do to your car. I think they are priced at about $3000 plus your core exchange. Ask me watse of money, better off buying a stroker motor.

J15BIG

Established Member
I was on SHMs web site the other day and say those FR500 heads. Who in their right mind would spend that much money on cylinder heads?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Would new heads work better on a highly modified Cobra vs. one having average mods? I was talking to someone a month ago at one of the tracks (who knows the '03/'04s very well) and he said that due to the design of the stock heads it would be difficult to improve upon them unless you've got a highly modified motor. I assume he meant a motor with 700+ hp. Comments?

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
Its a point of diminishing returns on dollar:performance ratio. These engines are still immature compared to the windsor line. The pulley and cai and catback, et cetera are the low hanging fruit. It gets harder to extract power the farther down the list you go.

The factory heads are also pretty darn good to begin with, and majorly expensive to machine after casting. most of you wouldnt spend the money required for one billet much less a pair of fully machined aftermarket heads, so why bother tooling up for it?

Apart from the 00R head which is made from unobtainium, the Navigator heads flow the most. Seems like a set of nav heads on a built 4.6 would be just what the drag racers asked for.

Shadowgray03

Snake Charmer
Established Member
Originally posted by mystic1
I know VT engines has the factory warmed over with porting, polishing and then upgrade the cams also. This is one of they very last things that you should want to do to your car. I think they are priced at about $3000 plus your core exchange. Ask me watse of money, better off buying a stroker motor.
The $3k also doesnt include cams so your looking at $4k+ which is a lot of money. As for your idea to buy a stroker instead, keep in mind that with a stroker you may find that the stock cams become restrictive.

Personally I did buy a stroker, I also went with crower stage 2 cams. As for porting, im leaving the heads alone, they flow pretty well on their own.

Users who are viewing this thread