is the Hurst shifter really that bad???

bhollie

Established Member
read the product review on it and was wondering if i would be better off with a steeda or Pro 5.0?
I have noticed with the hurst that i cannot power/speed shift as fast as i did with the T-5/Pro-5.0 combo on my 94 cobra, i just thought it was from not being used to the car yet or because it was a different tranny.
any ideas?

thanks

Lilredcpe

Established Member
I have a Hurst in my '04. I think it is slightly better than the stock shifter but it still leaves something to be desired. Honestly I think the whole clutch quadrant/stock shifter/tranny combo on these cars leaves something to be desired especially considering they're 30k plus hi-perf vehicles. I've driven 350Zs, Audi quatro's and BMWs that shift a lot smoother stock and with less drivetrain noise and I hope Ford will make some major imporvements in this area with their next Cobra (fingers crossed considering the 2005 models!). Don't get me wrong though. I LOVE my Cobra, drivetrain clunks and all, and when I think muscle car I know I've got one. The first car I ever owned was a 1968 Plymouth Roadrunner with a 440 Hemi, posi-trac and a "factory" Hurst shifter. I consider Hurst to be kind of old school and I think that's why I went with that instead of some of the others out there. I've heard all the praise and reviews and I think that the new MGW shifter is probably the best one out there. However my car is a daily driver, not a competiton rig, and I prefer the nostalgic aspect for now. Just my 2 cents worth I guess and my opinion that any aftermarket shifter has got to be better than the stock one...

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
I have the Steeda, and love it. However, I installed a Hurst in a friends Firebird, which uses the same base mechanism, and I hate it. It is pretty bad, the throws are a little longer, but mostly the spring tension is too weak right out of the box. The tension is adjustable though, and I think that will fix some of the problems. Biggest thing is that on a 4-3 shift it goes between the gate on 1-3, basically it can't center fast enough on its own.

I would go with the Pro 50 and the Steeda, I just felt like the Steeda was a little smoother, so I went with it.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by Lilredcpe
I have a Hurst in my '04. I think it is slightly better than the stock shifter but it still leaves something to be desired. Honestly I think the whole clutch quadrant/stock shifter/tranny combo on these cars leaves something to be desired especially considering they're 30k plus hi-perf vehicles. I've driven 350Zs, Audi quatro's and BMWs that shift a lot smoother stock and with less drivetrain noise and I hope Ford will make some major imporvements in this area with their next Cobra (fingers crossed considering the 2005 models!). Don't get me wrong though. I LOVE my Cobra, drivetrain clunks and all, and when I think muscle car I know I've got one. The first car I ever owned was a 1968 Plymouth Roadrunner with a 440 Hemi, posi-trac and a "factory" Hurst shifter. I consider Hurst to be kind of old school and I think that's why I went with that instead of some of the others out there. I've heard all the praise and reviews and I think that the new MGW shifter is probably the best one out there. However my car is a daily driver, not a competiton rig, and I prefer the nostalgic aspect for now. Just my 2 cents worth I guess and my opinion that any aftermarket shifter has got to be better than the stock one...
I agree with your comments. I had the TriAx (actually two of them) and while they helped, they couldn't cure the basic idiosyncrasies of the stock drivetrain components. No shifter will do that.

spinscan

Established Member
I have a triax that I bought from a member on this site. I also have the MGW handle and I couldn't be happier with this combo.
It is a bit on the noisy side, but it doesn't bother me all that much.
I had a 69 RR, but I don't remember much about the shifter. I wish I had it now though.LOL

WDW MKR

Established Member
Tri-Ax, MGW handle, and UPR clutch quadrant/firewall adjuster... excellent combo! :thumbsup:
I've used Hurst shifters in a couple of different cars and didn't like any of them.

Users who are viewing this thread