Is the coyote BBQ tick harmful?

nate714

Established Member
Hey everyone, I just had the ford dealership do the first oil change on my 2014 a6 gt and it immediately developed the famous coyote BBQ ticket.

I took it back to ford and they are looking into it now, but from what others have told me the dealership will most likely say it is "normal" for the engine. I hate the sound of the tick and it's certainly not what I paid for so I'm wondering if there is any way to prove that the sound is harmful and not just annoying.

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member
I've heard it on mine before if I really tried after an oil change. It's been about 3k since I last changed it. Nothing I ever noticed until I really tried after a fresh oil change and it did tick. Never thought another thought about it bc u can only hear it on mine if u listen hard w the hood open right after an oil change. Mine doesn't use a drop of oil so I'm not worried about it. How bad is your tick?

mjohns930

Established Member
Mine has done it since new. 23k miles later, hasn't used any oil between changes or gotten worse. Meh. I'm over it.

nate714

Established Member
I've heard it on mine before if I really tried after an oil change. It's been about 3k since I last changed it. Nothing I ever noticed until I really tried after a fresh oil change and it did tick. Never thought another thought about it bc u can only hear it on mine if u listen hard w the hood open right after an oil change. Mine doesn't use a drop of oil so I'm not worried about it. How bad is your tick?

Mine sounds like someone is banging away at a type writer with morse-code rhythm, I can hear it anytime the windows are rolled down.

slick3

Established Member
Mine sounds like someone is banging away at a type writer with morse-code rhythm, I can hear it anytime the windows are rolled down.

Mine was just as bad after my first oil change, second time around I switched oil to amsoil dominator 10-30, amsoil filter, primed filter, put in the new oil. Hasnt came back in 20k. I call it fixed.

choate

Drive with a sparkling glove on your shift hand
Established Member

My GTO was like that. Never had a problem and the younger guy I sold it to drives the,crap out of it. He burnt the clutch out of it I know and did some good upgrades. Corvette style cold air intake. Long tube s. Fast intake etc and it still does 12 secs in the quarter mi. If this car was loud tick tho I would have,it investigated under warranty if you are. My goat was sold at 99k and had 120 last time I talked to him about 2 years ago

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
Mine comes and goes. I just get into boost and hope the motor lets go so I can go built... So far no dice so I doubt the tick is harmful.

Users who are viewing this thread