Is the 93R #84 now retired from pro racing?

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
I just picked up some pics from Mark/Brian's '04 Cobra in action @ the Mid-Ohio NASA AI race. Wow, it looks great! I have a feeling that car will be a big threat in their region very soon. After checking the preparation of that pushrod '04, I believe some of you other midwest AI guys may want to come south to race! M/B, good luck this fall!!

Mark, is the #84 1993R retired from pro now? How do the two cars compare on the track (if it's possible to compare them)?

Dean, I'm sorry to hear the news of your car. I'm glad to hear you are (mostly) OK. I hope your car turns out to be repairable. I wish you were close enough so I could lend some to help get it fixed. I hope everyone is OK with the situation of the incident.

Sign me,
Mixed emotions:cryying: :thumbsup:

93SVTCobra

Established Member
I was wondering how long it was going to take before the cat came out of the bag. Yes, I have a new race car. We (Brian Tone, myself and our third member who wishes to remain nameless) have spent the last 10 months building an 04 body in white race car. The AI field is getting progressively faster and faster and there were things that needed to be done to the 93R if we were going to stay a front running which I wasn't willing to do to the car so the decision was made to semi retire it. It was a tough choice but to stay in the front it was really the only prudent choice there was.

Our main focus on the new car was to build a safe, stiff foundation and also showcase what a well set-up IRS equipped Mustang can do. Yep, it's IRS equipped. We also wanted to build a car right to the limit of the current AI rules. Most people think we are crazy (well the one's that know us know we ARE crazy) but we believe that properly set-up there should be nothing that can touch us. Because we were determined to make the IRS work we looked at what the aftermarket had to offer and to be honest we really only had one choice, Kenny Brown. It seemed that everyone else offers just harder bushings but really didn't seem to know much else about the IRS. Now I know that Kenny Brown has taken A LOT of bashing in the past about their products but after working with them for 10 months I can definitely say they have their sh*t together.

Our car is equipped with the full rear IRS system consisting of the KB upper and lower control arms, inner tie rod kit, KW dampners and coil over kit as well as the full front AGS system which consists of the K-Member, A-Arms, KW struts and coil over kit. Quality of all the parts was definitely top notch and everything but the K-member fit perfectly. The K-member fitment issue was our problem because we were fitting a pushrod engine in a 04 body which requires a longer K-member. We mistakenly asked for a 79-93 k-member which wouldn't bolt right up. They now have a k-member which will allow you to bolt in a pushrod motor into a 96+ Mustang due to our efforts, pretty cool!

How does the car handle? According to Brian it is absolutely incredible. Turn in is absolutely amazing and transitions fell awesome. Out of the box our car qualified 3rd out of 23 cars on Sunday (but we were DQ'ed being 7 hp over our hp limit. more on that later) For a car that had not turned a lap until last weekend I'll have to say that we were definitely impressed!
At MO there wasn't a car that we couldn't keep up with from the entry of Madness to the last corner coming onto the front straight. Best part is there is still lots of tuning to do and we are boldly predicting big things for this car in the future.

After qualifying 8th on saturday (out of 24 AI cars) with less than 1 hour on the car we were mistakenly gridded in the back because there were two # 29's. Unfortunately we didn't realize it until the cars pulled out onto the track because of the way the cars were gridded. Needless to say Brian made the best of things and fought his way back up to 8th place within the 12 laps that the race lasted. We were happy to say the least.

We then went to stiffer springs (Kenny recommended the lighter springs to get a feel for the car) for Sunday's qualifying and took 2 seconds off our lap time. We were asked to report to the Dyno (they were dynoing most AI cars that weekend) and we turned out to be 7 hp over our limit. We had 324 hp for a 3011 car (with driver) with driver. Strange thing is that we dynoed earlier in the week at 302 hp and were quite disappointed with the results. We are guessing that the difference is what happens when the entire driveline breaks in. So our quailifying was disqualified :dw: and we turned the distributor and were down to 299 and were ready to race. We were once again gridded in the back and ended up with a dead battery on the grid. We ran down and push started the car but it lacked power. We brough the car in and found out that the alternator fuse had blown causing the electronics to run off our battery and ended up draining the battery. Overall we were extremely pleased with the weekend despite the setback and look forward to tuning the car and running at Beaverun in a few weeks.

Here's a few pictures of the car in it's present form:

IMG_3713.JPG

IMG_3717.JPG

The car is still not done as our aero kit still isn't installed and a few odds and ends still need to be installed or fastened down.

As a special bonus I'll give you guys the address to almost the entire build up of the car (at least until I run out of bandwidth)

www.on-trackperformance.com/aiindex.htm

Let me know if you have any questions.

Last edited:

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by ac427cobra

When can I take it for a spin?!?;-)

Being that I am organizing the SCMC event, I will need to check the car out to make sure it's safe for our event, I should be done by sunday afternoon. :D :D

Congtrats on the car mark, we wish you and Brian the best of luck.

Brian

JoeJ

Established Member
Mark,

Hey, great looking car. It should give those other AI racers a fit..:beer: You need to bring it down to Texas and run against John George and Wayne Manor...Give them a taste of what you up north guys can do in the AI group.

Quote:
"Dean, I'm sorry to hear the news of your car. I'm glad to hear you are (mostly) OK. I hope your car turns out to be repairable. I wish you were close enough so I could lend some to help get it fixed. I hope everyone is OK with the situation of the incident."

What happened to Dean?...Fill us in on the facts..Hope he is ok.

93SVTCobra

Established Member
Dean was involved in a rather large accident which resulted in his car being totalled and breaking his ankle in two places. The cage and belts did what they were supposed to do and things could have been worse. Dean is doing fine but won't be walking without crutches for 4-6 weeks.

pan7eraboyca - Although we have only used the KW's for one event I can tell you that we already prefer them over the Koni DA's that we have used previously. The biggest plus is that the adjustments are easy and you can definitely tell the difference between settings. Additionally the fact that the damper is built as a coil over from the beginning is a nice feature.

I'd recommend them!

The cage is chromoly not duct tape!!!!

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
Cant wait to check out the car in person....you guys did a great job right down to re-welding all of the factory attachment points....I assume for the cage, you guys did the geometry on CAD? It looks like a piece of art! :bowdown:

93SVTCobra

Established Member
We needed to figure out where all the stock lines went. Don't you remember sending those pictures to me at the beginning of the year?

13 Cobra Toy

Need More Track...
Established Member
Originally posted by 93SVTCobra
We needed to figure out where all the stock lines went. Don't you remember sending those pictures to me at the beginning of the year?

hell...I went to :sleeping: since then....:beer:

93 COBRA

Established Member
Mark,

Car looks really good. If you're looking for a driver to campaign #84 I would be available. :thumbsup:

newcastle

Originally posted by 93SVTCobra
I was wondering how long it was going to take before the cat came out of the bag. Yes, I have a new race car.

Beautiful car. Thanks for the link.

Users who are viewing this thread