Is SVTOA really going to outside ownership?

TXPD

Rookie Racer
Established Member
My personal feeling is that having SAAC take control of SVTOA could be a great thing. It might be a disaster. It could go either way.

The Shelby guys that I know often complain loudly that SAAC conventions have become nothing but an O/T event. There seems to be little question that the car show part of the experience has been hurt in recent years. Enough so that they are trying to revive it openly.

SVTOA runs far more track events than does SAAC and so SAAC's apparant interest in track days/weekends may even grow after this merger.

Its also true that SAAC is huge. SVTOA and the entire late model Mustang hobby can get a boost from the power of SAAC.

I have a '69 Boss 302 and a SAAC membership. I have a '95 Cobra R and an interest in SVTOA and SCMC. I would probably want to be involved if we created a Cobra R group.

Personally, I think its a wait and see thing. It could go either way so, don't hold back. Go to the events and speak up. It looks more and more like I will be at the SVTOA Sebring Camp Steeda for my first SVTOA thing.

I will be interested to see what they have there.

Stanger58

Established Member
TXPD said:
My personal feeling is that having SAAC take control of SVTOA could be a great thing. It might be a disaster. It could go either way.

Rob,

Please READ the announcement here... http://www.svtoa.com/ :read:

SAAC is NOT taking control of SVTOA. The ONLY connection is that SAAC and SVTOA are owned by the same group, Specialty Performance Vehicle Clubs LLC. Yes, Ken Eber is the National Director and has connections to both groups, but he wants them to be SEPARATE and distinct groups.

Right now, the Regional Directors are essentially serving as the "board of directors" for SVTOA, with Ken serving as the "National Director". And my invitation still stands... if you want to get involved and help set the direction of the club and help US grow a true enthusiast-based group, here's a list of all the Regional Directors and their emails;

SVTOA Eastern Region
Brian Shafranek, Regional Director
[email protected]
Pittsburg, PA

SVTOA Central Region
Dell R. Hughes, Central Region Director
[email protected]
Oklahoma

SVTOA Great Lakes Region
Mark Wilson, Regional Director
[email protected]
Milford, MI

SVTOA Rocky Mountain
Bryan Appleby, Regional Director
[email protected]
Boulder, CO

SVTOA North Central Region
Jeff Lacina
[email protected]
Olathe, KS

SVTOA Southern Region
Gene Pavliscak, Regional Director
[email protected]
Largo, FL

SVTOA Southeast Region
Clay Purifoy, Regional Director
[email protected]
Myrtle Beach, SC

SVTOA Western Region
Vicky Griffin, Regional Director
[email protected]
Santa Clarita, CA

SVTOA Canadian Region
Laura Querin, Regional Director
[email protected]
Mississauga, ONT, Canada

We look forward to hearing from all y'all... And Rob, see you at Sebring!

Last edited:

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
b_tone said:
Neither do I but it becomes laughable when they put 85 cars in a run group and charge $250/day for the privilege of running your car at a SAAC event. Being for profit is not a bad thing, it only becomes bad when you abuse your paying members which is historically how SAAC works.

I agree 100%. They also only used one of the short tracks when they went to VIR last summer. I voted with my feet and didn't attend.

I did have fun at the SAAC event in Charlotte and the MCA event in Nashville. The Nashville O/T was well run. I think I had 10 other cars in my run group. I still remember that 00R passing me on the front straight...like I was standing still. :dw:

93SVTCobra said:
How do we get everyone else to show up?
That is a good question. I doubt a regional event (location) would bring in but a few cars.

Stanger58 said:
Ken is allowing us (SVTOA Regional Directors) to plan the National convention, including the On Track activities.
I don't think there has ever been a national event before the upcoming Miller event?

Regardless, I wish for a successful future for SVTOA. I would hope that they seek corporate sponsors to help defray some of the costs from the membership. I don't see any reason why the aftermarket suppliers and retailers shouldn't pay to get their name in front of Cobra enthusiasts (just look at advertising support at MM&FF). If I were the new controlling owners, I'd spend some money upfront to seek additional membership and exposure which would allow me to later go to sponsors for their support. I'd offer "exclusive" sponsor levels for those that came on board first. FRPP, Mustang Plus, Mustang Unlimited (etc.) would be programmed on my phone.

griffined

SVT driver
I have yet to decide on whether I'm sending in money to the new SVTOA.

I spent money with NASA on their HPDE stuff when I lived in CA, and was happy with those open track days.(about 4 or 5 that I attended)

I also joined the Norcal SAAC club in '03 and attended the Mini-Nats at Sears Point Infineon (where the NASA HPDEs I went to were held) and ran my car both days of the open track. The track day was well run, and not oversold.

I didn't go to any SAAC meetings or banquets, because unlike most of the folks, I wasn't really interested in Shelby history, meeting Shelby owners, or meeting Carol Shelby. I simply wanted to participate in the open track event.

I did join the local Mustang club here in FL after I moved.

shlbygt

Established Member
Griffened,
If you enjoyed Mini Nats, you need to try out the SVTOA event at Sebring in April.
http://www.motorsportreg.com/calendar/event.cfm?uidEvent=0C0A0916-09FE-D354-7D1C8662828E5ADC
I live in the SF Bay Area and used to frequently run with NorCal SAAC but now I am more inclined to fly in to an SVTOA event to instruct with a rental car, than run my track car with the local SAAC group. The Mini Nats event attracts way too many once a year wonders that do not have a clue as to how to behave or drive while on track.
SVTOA On Track is a better overall value with both classroom and in car instruction for novices and instructors are available to anyone else who wants instruction in the higher run groups. We also don’t over sell the run groups so everyone can enjoy their track time.
As an example, this years Mini Nats cost me $320 to run only on Sunday, $600 if you ran both Saturday & Sunday. SVTOA is charging only $335 for Saturday & Sunday with instruction at Sebring.

SL 1993 R

Established Member
I would have to agree with shlbygt on the NorCal mini nats. I used to do their open tracks, back when they still could get Laguan Seca and the prices were reasonable. (late 80's) Now the price is high, and the once a year wonders on their parade laps don't do it for me. I often make the trek to hook up with the COCOA guys at Willow Springs.

I have both a Shelby and a Cobra R, but think the clubs should be kept separate. Now I'm trying to figure out how to get both cars to Miller...

Users who are viewing this thread