Is SVTOA really going to outside ownership?

Stanger58

Established Member
This is true...

And, IMHO, it could be an even better deal for members...

There were MANY things that we could NOT do when we were being "administered" by the folks in Dearborn...

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
It explains the dual convention at Miller.
SAAC-32 will have a few different things going on. For starters, this year’s convention will dovetail with a national convention for the SVT (Special Vehicles Team) Owners Association. Members of this organization will be bringing Mustang SVT Cobras, SVT Lightning pick-ups, SVT Focus’ and just about any other Ford performance car you can name. We’re also expecting to see a bunch of new GT500s and it wouldn’t surprise us if some ‘06 Hertz cars began to show up in private hands.

It seems to be a good idea to me.

I've always been confused about all of the clubs. Can anyone post a thread (or just a post here) about all the different Ford-related clubs (or organizations)?

I've been to a couple of the MCA events (Nashville was the last one). I went to a SAAC event in Charlotte one time. They also have SCM and another one (or two)?

I think we should form CROA (Cobra R Owners Association). It would have the smartest (and fastest :-D ) conventions. :read:

b_tone

East bound and down!!!!
Established Member
Stanger58 said:
This is true...

And, IMHO, it could be an even better deal for members...

There were MANY things that we could NOT do when we were being "administered" by the folks in Dearborn...

In my experience Ken Eber and Rick Kopec only have the interest of making money for themselves.

Those that have seen the parades they call open track events know what I am talking about. They also stopped allowing passengers (or instructors) in the SAAC events along time ago, and why would they treat the SVTOA events any different?

I certainly hope I am wrong but I don't see much good coming out of this.

bpt

mrmustang

Husband/Father/Son
Established Member
1995COBRA-R said:
I think we should form CROA (Cobra R Owners Association). It would have the smartest (and fastest :-D ) conventions. :read:

Call me if your serious as I want in on the ground floor :beer:

Bill S.

93SVTCobra

Established Member
Brian,

Right now it seems that the Regional Directors have control of exactly what happens on track. I think it's a good thing at this point but I FULLY understand everyone apprehension.

Roger Davis

RSD
Established Member
B tone has it right.
Just another cash cow for Eber and Kopec. SAAC is supposed to be a club for Shelby Automobile owners but there are not enough Shelby Members to make this club work financially so they let anybody who has ever seen a Shelby become a member. They even let me join. Remember SAAC is a for profit club and so will SVTOA if these guys take control.
SVTOA track time will be just like the SAAC conventions, all their buddies will get in free and the rest of the paying customers will get to parade around in the slow run groups.

Don't let them take over. Form your own group.
Get a group of hard working members here and take control of your club.

RD

Roger Davis

RSD
Established Member
Actually Bill your last post is kind of silly, if you have something to say than say it. I have no problem saying what I want if I have an opinion.

RD

mrmustang

Husband/Father/Son
Established Member
Roger,

As you know I'm a long time SAAC and MCA member (since 82/81 respectively), I've owned a few of each of those choice marques over the years...However, I hear what you and B_tone are saying loud and clear. Can't argue with it at all as I have experienced exactly what the two of you have said up close and personal. My post above yours was to lighten up the mood before things turned ugly as that is where "I" saw it going.......If you think I was arguing with you, you are mistaken..........

Bill S.

93SVTCobra

Established Member
Guys,

Ken has given us the opportunity to schedule and run the SVTOA portion of the event at Miller as we see fit. I have the similar view as most of you do of SAAC but before you write off the SVTOA you might want to wait and see how this event goes.

We are allowed to have instructors in the car. Most/all clubs should not be allowing passengers anymore as their insurance doesn't cover it (Except either if an Instructor is driving or in the passenger seat).

svt2205

Established Member
Like many, I'm very skeptical about how SAAC will influence the new SVTOA, but I'm going to at least give things a period of time to see what works and what doesn't.

SAAC conventions used to be fun. Or at least I enjoyed them. Ya, the open track portion left a bit to be desired, but was that the ONLY reason you'd go? Funny, but there are folks on this site who say how much the events sucked, but any time I saw you guys at the SAAC events you always seemed to having a pretty good time. Odd....

I wish I was in a position to go to the SAAC/SVTOA event this summer, but it's too dam far from NH to justify the expenses. Knowing SAAC, it's only a matter of time before it's back to Lime Rock anyway....

93SVTCobra

Established Member
Well the Cobra R Unions are a good way to gauge interest and we seem to get the same 10-15 cars attend.

How do we get everyone else to show up?

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
b_tone said:
In my experience Ken Eber and Rick Kopec only have the interest of making money for themselves.

Personally, I have no problem with a for-profit organization.

This subject is continually argued in vintage. You'll find a few non-profit organizations and a few for-profits. I happen to race in a for-profit organization (HSR and SVRA are owned by the same two guys). I do it mostly because all my racing buddies race in it, and they have fun and safe (full course with full SCCA staffed safety workers) events.

I think HSR/SVRA attracts the racers because they work hard to turn a small profit for the owners. The organization must listen to the racers (so they'll come back). In the order turn a profit, the must bring in sponsorships (http://www.hsrrace.com/HSR/HSRHome.nsf/weblinks/EJEN-62LLA9?OpenDocument and http://www.svra.com/SVRA/SVRAHome.nsf/weblinks/EJEN-5ZDVBS?OpenDocument ). Those sponsorships pay for the right to get their name out in front of the racers. This creates a lot of free food, dinners, race souvenirs, and other benefits (i.g., Pace trailers is a sponsor and their rep always comes by my Pace with offers and help).

The sponsorships also allow the racing organization to rent some of the best tracks (Sebring, Daytona, Mid-O, RD America, The Glen, Rd Atlanta, Infineon Raceway, VIR, and Hilton Head Concours d'Elegance). The best bargain in amateur racing is the SVRA 12 Hours of Sebring. You get a driver's pass to the event (allowing you to enter the pits during the real race), and you get to have your own races in front of 150,000 people. The entry fee includes four crew passes (called super passes), paddock parking, and two races (a dash and an eduro) for the price of what almost equals four general admission tickets.

1993R said:
We should do our own deal. It could be a lot of fun.
I guess we should be not-for-profit since we'd probably go broke. :-D

Eligibility: You must own, have owned, or may soon own a Cobra R.
Officers: The guy that picks up the bar bill gets to be President.
Mission Statement: Have fun.

Last edited:

b_tone

East bound and down!!!!
Established Member
1995COBRA-R said:
Personally, I have no problem with a for-profit organization.

Neither do I but it becomes laughable when they put 85 cars in a run group and charge $250/day for the privilege of running your car at a SAAC event. Being for profit is not a bad thing, it only becomes bad when you abuse your paying members which is historically how SAAC works.

SDW Racing

Established Member
b_tone said:
Neither do I but it becomes laughable when they put 85 cars in a run group and charge $250/day for the privilege of running your car at a SAAC event. Being for profit is not a bad thing, it only becomes bad when you abuse your paying members which is historically how SAAC works.

I agree whole heartedly with Brian, experiencing the SAAC fiasco firsthand its a win/lose situation...and you know who loses. :cryying: :cryying:

Stanger58

Established Member
b_tone said:

Those that have seen the parades they call open track events know what I am talking about. They also stopped allowing passengers (or instructors) in the SAAC events along time ago, and why would they treat the SVTOA events any different?

I certainly hope I am wrong but I don't see much good coming out of this.

bpt

As Mark said, Ken is allowing us (SVTOA Regional Directors) to plan the National convention, including the On Track activities. My proposal is to have a TRUE school format w/mandatory drivers' meetings, mandatory classroom sessions for the Beginner and Novice groups, Intermediate, Advanced and Instructor run groups.

If you've attended an SVTOA On Track event in the past, then you'll know how hard we work to make sure the beginners and novices LEARN, while still providing adequate track time for the Intermediate and Advanced groups. All of the Regional Directors are COMMITTED to this format at the National event and at all of the regional OT events.

Want to help make sure this happens?? Get involved... raise you're hand. We've been given the opportunity to make SVTOA just what WE want it to be... On Track, car shows, crusies, ralley's, etc. And I know all of us Regional Directors would WELCOME the help.

We're all ears...:banana:

Users who are viewing this thread