• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

Is only having a new tune worth it?

Discussion in '2nd Generation' started by coild, Apr 11, 2021.

1. coild

coild Boss 351 to SVT Cobra Established Member

Hi guys!
    Just wondering if it is possible to have just a better & hotter tune installed without having the crank pulley changed for more boost. Is it worth it? Any idea what the HP/TQ increase would be? 2004, bone stock, 90,000 miles.

2. CobraBob

CobraBob Authorized Vendor Premium Member Established Member Single Barrel Sirs

I guess it depends on how good your current tune is. If you don't change any bolt-ons, I would not expect a big enough power increase with a new tune to make it pay off. What size upper pulley do you have now?

3. DSG2003Mach1

DSG2003Mach1 Premium Member Premium Member Established Member Single Barrel Sirs

If no tune at all and you tune it, it would probably be a decent increase and the trans tuning is always a big plus imho.

if it has a tune on it, unless it's crap a retune on the same fuel would likely net very little

4. coild

coild Boss 351 to SVT Cobra Established Member

Truck is bone stock.

5. CobraBob

CobraBob Authorized Vendor Premium Member Established Member Single Barrel Sirs

Then most-definitely a tune alone is worth it! You will notice an increase in performance, but is there a reason you might not want to also go with a smaller upper pulley? You're missing out a lot if you keep the stock upper. Example, my '03 Cobra made 385/370 with nothing but a catback and intake. I went with a 2.90 upper, tune and 4-piece idler set and it jumped to 459/480. I still remember the first drive after the install. OMG! HUGE difference. So much so that I didn't want to park it. So, you really should go with a smaller upper with the tune.