Is my damn motor toast??!

"SNAKIE"

Established Member
K for the background, I have a built forged motor with 11-1 comp.. Anyway I'm driving like a grandma and all of a sudden my motor dies while coasting. Couldn't start it so I droped gear. It started smelling like crayons and sounding like a diesel truck. I popped the hood and it seemed like coolant came out of the cap. It looked muddy and brown. Does this mean my head gasket it toast and allowed oil to mix with coolant? Sorry my grammar and punctuation is off, I'm just a little heated! Any insight as to what happened???

quikcobra

Established Member
Compression test results? Sounds like the gasket tho. Its not a bad thing, Now you get to go bigger and badder.

"SNAKIE"

Established Member
Yea I figured so.. :( just don't get how it went considering I was driving like a grandma at the time.
Anyway any recommendations on a new motor? Mmr? Or is my motor still salvageable considering it's all forged??

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Yea I figured so.. :( just don't get how it went considering I was driving like a grandma at the time.
Anyway any recommendations on a new motor? Mmr? Or is my motor still salvageable considering it's all forged??

Being forged has nothing to do with it being salvageable or not. Do a compression check to see what the problem is before you start thinking about a complete engine.

Wynn

Wants 11's
Established Member
Is it possible the oil cooler gasket went, allowing oil and coolant to mix? I know it's a long shot, but I hope it's something easy for you man.

rtvickers

Established Member
Sorry to hear the trouble. I know it sucks.

Thats exactly what mine did last weekend when my thermostat went out. Not saying thats what it is but why not check and see. Had mine fixed and all is good now. No more diesel (valve rattle) sounds. Its maybe be a long shot but its cheap to just pull it out.

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member

A blown head gasket doth not a toasted motor make. It'll be a pain but I would say if you think it's the head gasket, tear it down, replace the gasket w/ something stronger and put it back together. It's labor intensive yes, but still less than a new built engine.

I have a buddy who blew a copper head gasket in his '95 5.0 after adding a Vortech but he tore it down, replaced the gasket and got back up and running w/ no other major repairs. He now has the burned gasket in a picture frame in his garage.

"SNAKIE"

Established Member
Sorry to hear the trouble. I know it sucks.

Thats exactly what mine did last weekend when my thermostat went out. Not saying thats what it is but why not check and see. Had mine fixed and all is good now. No more diesel (valve rattle) sounds. Its maybe be a long shot but its cheap to just pull it out.

Did u have any symptoms before it happened. I looked at my heat gauge and it looked normal. I did have terrible valve rattle as I parked it. I'm really hoping it's this oil cooler gasket..

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
You will need to tear it down to find out. But, a blown gasket doesn't mean kill. Since you didn't seem to run it long after the symptoms, you could be ok.

Users who are viewing this thread