Is it time for $100k 2000 Cobra R?

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Personally i dont think so. But there is always someone willing to pay above and beyond. I could never buy a car and let it sit for 20 yrs.

Canuck03SVT

Established Member
Not when you can buy a GT500 for the same price. They're nice but, imo overrated.

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
That’s a little ambitious by the seller. A Ferrari Testarossa recently sold at auction for $99k and it only had 14k miles on it.
I love R’s, but in that price range so many more options with more performance and wow factor are available.

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
Over rated, how? In 2000, a lighter new edge mustang, with IRS, and a 5.4L, and only 300 made? Not bad for 20 years ago.

If your talking about speed and handling by today's metrics? Nope, it a relative dog, compared to many S550's.

Curious, ever driven one?

Not when you can buy a GT500 for the same price. They're nice but, imo overrated.

Last edited:

nmp1

Established Member
I don't believe a 00R has passed the 80K mark, and there are still a lot of unanswered questions with this car. I don't understand how sellers expect to get record setting sales prices when they have mediocre pictures and 1 sentence descriptions.

On a side note, this car is pretty close to me if anyone gets this seller down to a reasonable price.

Canuck03SVT

Established Member
Over rated, how? In 2000, a lighter new edge mustang, with IRS, and a 5.4L, and only 300 made? Not bad for 20 years ago.

If your talking about speed and handling by today's metrics? Nope, it a relative dog, compared to many S550's.

Curious, ever driven one?

No, never seen let alone drive one.

Overated because they were out performed by mass produced sports cars like the ZO6 (2002) and the Viper. Not to mention the 03/04 Cobra's performed similarily for significantly less money.

Don't get me wrong, I think they're great cars, just not worth 100k right now.

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
^^^ all good, I too agree not worth $100k. After 20+ years the value of these cars have just begun to get back to their MSRP (many were bought with an ADM, so not even there yet). ~10 years ago, they were in the $4x's.

BTW most of your "comps" are later cars (you reference 2002, and 03-04). Since the gas crisis in the 70's, everything gets faster, and "better" as years go by. The Viper is a better comp, but the R would hold its own against that era Viper.

For me, there is much more to a vehicle than "speed". Its an experience. The 00R (and the other 2 R's before it) provide a unique mustang driving experience, that I enjoy.

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
Barrett Jackson sold a wrapper 1993 R for $132,000, so it isn’t out of the realm of possibility. I just don’t think the timing is right for the New Edge cars. The Foxes have only in the past few years become the hot thing. Give it time and maybe the 00R will get it’s due.

Established Member
I love my 95 R because it has always been a track car. Its no where near the fastest on the track now, even with the upgrades I have done, but it is crude and violent, not smooth and predictable. Guys use to being in fast track cars still get a little queasy in my R. Wife will never go in it again. That's what I like about mine, vs a newer, faster car. Plus, If I show up at a track with Porsche, BMW, and Ferraris, its a bet that several will come by to see if its a real one, and its nowhere near the crowd draw a 2000 is.

BTW, for 100K, it would be in someone else garage.

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
We are not at the 6-figure mark for the venerable 00R YET... it will happen relatively soon, but this posting is optimistic to say the least.

Not only are these rare cars, but they are simply a joy to drive. You don’t get a similar experience driving a Terminator. The R is 100% race car and you never forget that when driving it. It shares my “co-favorites title” in my garage.

TFStang

Established Member
I’m not surprised quite frankly. These are getting harder and harder to find lately. Might not be $110K right now, but they will get there.

Numbers on cars are all over the place right now. Never seen anything like this. I actually wouldn’t be surprised if someone bought this R at close to asking and I wouldn’t have said that last year.

The 00R is a very special car and crazy fun to drive.

nmp1

Established Member
I’m not surprised quite frankly. These are getting harder and harder to find lately. Might not be $110K right now, but they will get there.

Numbers on cars are all over the place right now. Never seen anything like this. I actually wouldn’t be surprised if someone bought this R at close to asking and I wouldn’t have said that last year.

The 00R is a very special car and crazy fun to drive.

Car prices are nuts this year across all platforms. I just can't see buying a $100k car you can't really drive. I never wanna own a car where I worry about every single mile or about hurting the value if i want to enjoy it.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
I enjoy Mustangs and Ford products. For $100K I would be looking at options. Maybe a vintage Boss 302/Mach I CJ or even a GT350. That will also get you into a high-end Cobra replica or a CSX Continuation Cobra if found at a good deal. Then there are Super Snakes that are in the $50s for the 07-09 and 13-14 in the $80+range. I'm not saying I wouldn't pull the trigger, but there are others I would look at VERY CLOSELY.

Tom

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
How are you doing finding a shop to replace the head gasket on your 2000'R'?

Users who are viewing this thread