Is it ready for emissions?

Bluewrx2001

Established Member
I live in Ct and failed due to it not being ready. So I drove about 60miles total then ran this scan is it ready now? Hate to go and fail again.

Attachments

• 22A512F8-9227-469E-9FFE-1DE745C4A823.jpeg
    22A512F8-9227-469E-9FFE-1DE745C4A823.jpeg
    331.3 KB · Views: 165

nxhappy

Established Member
60 miles wont be enough. usually it takes at least 100 miles of city and hwy. Check all of the monitors. only 1 allowed not ready is EVAP.

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
Do you have hi flow cats on the car? You may have a tough time getting the catalyst ready.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL

01yellercobra

Established Member
The last time I was smogged I set the monitors within 20 miles. But I had a stock type tune and a stock mid pipe.

Is the P1000 code still showing?

Bluewrx2001

Established Member
It’s not showing any codes on my scanner

Attachments

• 36252ED2-F038-4184-93C0-42FD9CBEE079.jpeg
    36252ED2-F038-4184-93C0-42FD9CBEE079.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 136

01yellercobra

Established Member
Is that your old print out? I think our cars have 7 monitors to set. It's been a bit. The scanner I use will show a whole bunch of monitors and quite a few aren't supported on our cars. So they'll show up as not supported.

Boogie Chillin

Pew, pew, ... pew, pew, pew.
Established Member
The egr has to clear before catalyst will. Is it deleted?

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Boogie Chillin

Established Member
Yep EGR Valve, DPFE, EGR solenoid, vacuum lines, mounting bracket, egr exhaust tube. If you have aftermarket headers, look for a egr tube cap on the driver side.

Boogie Chillin

Established Member
You have a tune that prevents the code from being thrown, but the test will never complete.

03cobra#2

Hobbyist Of Many Hobbies
Established Member
I just went through something similar. Luckily I had all the stock emissions stuff on my car, but I did have hi-flow cats. I had to have a tune written so that all the emission monitors switched on, drive the car for a few days and pass the test. Doing some checking online it seems that if you have hi-flow cats they sometimes don't reduce emissions enough to get the catalyst monitors to ready them selves. I don't think there is really a way around this, because the new emissions test they do check readiness monitors, and if the monitors are turned off you won't even be able to complete the test.

Get the stock parts on your car, get a tune, drive the car and pass. When you are done, get collectors plates so you don't have to worry about this again.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
Looks like you have two items "Not Ready". Is that why you failed? Just those two? Did you ask the Emissions Rep?

Can you pass if just one of those items is corrected to read "Ready"?

This emissions stuff is a real PITA. I had same failure issues as you. I bought my current car (Roush) a couple of years ago and ended up taking it to a great tuner in New Hampshire. He fixed me up in short order.

Most any good tuner would be able to sort this out for you in a jiffy. So before you get too frazzled or worried, I would recommend you seek a qualified tuner. It could be as simple a turning a few things on in the tune. That's what I did, then I bought SCT-X4 from the tuner with two tunes on it... my original 'power tune' and the new 'emissions tune', so I can switch back and forth as needed.

If you follow one of the Ford "drive cycle" protocols, you should be able to get all monitors reset in about 20 miles, maybe a little more, but all should reset pretty quick. You'll have to do this 'drive cycle' crap (every time) as soon as you mess around with the tune.

My car is supercharged (625 rwhp), with hi-flow cats and no problem getting the 02 sensors (and all other monitors) to reset quickly.

Bluewrx2001

Established Member
Got a hold of who I bought car from and is rounding up all the EGR stuff I’ll need. Looks like I’ll be putting it back on I’ll let you know how I make out.
Thanks everyone for the help

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
He doesn't have EGR guys. That's not a "jiffy" type fix. That's tracking down and installing everything first.

I was thinking he could maybe get down to one "Not Ready", but apparently not (according to you guys) without re-installing EGR. Good to know, thanks.

Sometimes you gotta wonder why folks remove some of these things. I mean, does removing the EGR give you ANY power increase at all???

Good luck OP!

01yellercobra

Established Member
I was thinking he could maybe get down to one "Not Ready", but apparently not (according to you guys) without re-installing EGR. Good to know, thanks.

Sometimes you gotta wonder why folks remove some of these things. I mean, does removing the EGR give you ANY power increase at all???

Good luck OP!
No it doesn't. All it really does is clean up the engine compartment. It's supposed to help with MPG, but I was able to tune my 01 to get the same MPG it got with the EGR in place. The EGR isn't active at idle or WOT.

Users who are viewing this thread