Is it possible to check or adjust bell housing alignment?

silvercoffin

Established Member
For anyone who hasnt already heard my bitching... I CANT FREAKIN SHIFT down the 1/4 mile since (heres the time line).............................

Stock trans and fms clutch I was having trouble with 3rd to 4th. it would always go into 2nd so i figured shift fork...3rd gear was getting harder to get into as well.. 2nd gear was a little bumpy but it would go in

1st only a spec aluminum flywheel and spec 3+ clutch (i couldnt shift at the track just wont go in and 2nd gear started to almost grind until it heated up..wasnt like that until the above mentioned parts were installed)

2nd. rpm trans #1 installed and spec 2 clutch...new insert for flywheel
( shifting problem in 2 until heated up was the same but didnt get to the track because clicking sound in trans)

3rd RPM TRANS #2 installed and broken in... 2nd gear issue still bad until heated up...cant shift any better at the track.

4th after noticing that the cable always loosens after a run, I installeda fiore adjuster to replace my steeda one and i installed a new cable...still wont shift. I went to JDM DAY and the guys from JDM adjusted my clutch after I ran and it loosened... I ran it and it still cant shift unless I granny shift it.

WHAT ABOUT ALIGNMENT?

I dont know anything about this. Is it something all mechanics and shops check when installing a trans and clutch? No one has ever mentioned it as a possibility.

Q. How important is proper bellhousing alignment?

A. Bellhousing alignment is crucial for proper clutch function and reliability of the related components. Due to manufacturing tolerances of engine blocks and bell housings, it is possible for the transmission centerline and crankshaft centerline to be misaligned. The result of this misalignment may result in hard shifting; pilot bearing/bushing wear; transmission main shaft bearing wear; and/or failure of the clutch disc hub (pleas refer to the vehicle's factory service manual

what would cause a cable to loosen after a run if the cable is new and the adjuster is not spinning/loosening? Is there something wrong with my spec clutch or flywheel that would cause this? I think next season I am going to try another new flywheel and clutch before giving up and selling the car.

Last edited:

racebronco2

Established Member
I know when installing a scattershield there has been some alignment issues with our engines and they have to use a dial indicator to get the scattershield aligned properly. I would call a shop that sets up cars for drag racing. hope this hekps.

Users who are viewing this thread