Is it legal to post vids of people w/o consent?

KEVINS

Established Member
I always thought it was illegal to post pics/vids of people w/o their consent..?
If so why aren't more people in trouble for doing it?

I see a lot of police dash cams and people simply posting vids' of people arguing, ect but how can this be legal w/o consent? What gives me the right to walk up to a stranger and start filming them then post it on-line for the world to see?

ks

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
Apparently in public it is legal, which is bad. Maybe it depends on the state.

I read an article a while back a woman caught a guy taking pictures up her skirt up the stairs (her up higher and him below) and a judge ruled it is public and nothing can be done.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Apparently in public it is legal, which is bad. Maybe it depends on the state.

I read an article a while back a woman caught a guy taking pictures up her skirt up the stairs (her up higher and him below) and a judge ruled it is public and nothing can be done.

I'd be interested to look into this a little more but from what I recall most of the time this happens what they're photographing falls under other protection.

Depends on a lot of different circumstances.

It's interesting how much it varies from state to state even. Florida is a dual party consent state - you can't record a conversation without the consent of both parties unless it's in a place with no expectation of privacy. There are still limitations on what you can record and its intended purpose.

I remember a guy had hidden video cameras in a changing area for either Disney or Universal parade performers and his sentence wasn't quite as bad as it could have been because there was no audio

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
If it's in public, it's fair game. If you're doing a film project and will be making a profit off the work, you don't have the right to post the videos without consent. There's a LOT of gray area with it.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
If it's in public, it's fair game. If you're doing a film project and will be making a profit off the work, you don't have the right to post the videos without consent. There's a LOT of gray area with it.

exactly, you have to get a consent form signed by anyone in the shot.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
I would imagine some of the production crew out of frame, off camera is getting consent forms signed.

I googled it real quick and they came back with a few things - in some cases they do get consent forms - if they went in someone's house they got a consent. Some of the consent forms are because they want to use them in commercials or other promotional things. The majority of people being pulled over, stopped etc... they run with under it being in public and newsworthy

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
I always thought it was illegal to post pics/vids of people w/o their consent..?
If so why aren't more people in trouble for doing it?

I see a lot of police dash cams and people simply posting vids' of people arguing, ect but how can this be legal w/o consent? What gives me the right to walk up to a stranger and start filming them then post it on-line for the world to see?

ks

Something called the 1st Amendment. In public you do not have a reasonable expectation of privacy.

Four Door SVT

Established Member
Multiple times I’ve thought about snapping photos for meme purposes but didn’t because of this exact reason legal or not legal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread