Is it bad to run pumps until tank is empty?

nast97

Gear Banger
Established Member
I wouldnt think u would have to run it bone dry. If ur filling up with e85 less than a gallon left should be ok. If you run them bone dry they can pick up crap from the bottom of tank

1QUICK10TH

Just A GT
Established Member
Your pumps will be fine doing that, if you have the socks on the bottom of the pumps you don't have to worry about what's on the bottom of the tank. Anything big enough to hurt the pumps isn't getting through that sock

yzracer931

Established Member
I personally would not run the pumps dry. The fuel in the tank helps cool the pump, running them dry and hot then filling with cold fuel could possibly kill the pump.

1QUICK10TH

Just A GT
Established Member
If the pump is picking up fuel the fuel is cooling the pump. Doesn't matter if the pump is submerged on not. OP, do not let the pumps cavitate and you'll be fine.

yzracer931

Established Member
An in tank pump should be submersed at all times. Yes, if the pump is picking up fuel will help cool it but without the pump being submersed, you could decrease the lifespan of the pump.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
I have drained many tanks of fuel this way when switching to E85.

As long as you stop the pump when the fuel runs out you will be fine. (You will hear the pump tone change and the fuel will stop flowing)

No problems.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I have drained many tanks of fuel this way when switching to E85.

As long as you stop the pump when the fuel runs out you will be fine. (You will hear the pump tone change and the fuel will stop flowing)

No problems.

I would have to agree.

Users who are viewing this thread