Is it a 2008 Boss or Cobra R?

Dave Schotz

SCCA Racer
Established Member
Hey guys... don't know if this belongs here, or in the Cobra R section...

But who else wants...

450HP
450TQ
5.4 Litres (or bigger)
Aluminum Block
3400 Lbs

The rest is all discretionary... Can Ford get ANYTHING RIGHT??? :nonono:

I've been thinking... we're all waiting for a Boss 302... but do we really want to be going up against 6+ Litre Hemi's and LS2's??? with just 5.0??? (Let alone 4.6)!!! :cuss:

I mean... the GT500 is a BITCHEN car for the straight line...and top speed... kinda reminds me of the BOSS 429 days! ;) But for any of us purists out there... we are left to shop elsewhere... :shrug:

I mean 3850 LBS??? I can't do it!!! I just can't do it!!! I used to LAUGH at 71-73 Mustangs... and to think... they would weigh LESS than the GT500?? :xpl:

So who else is in for a $40,000 (yes... $40,000... I'll pay the same as the GT500...) Get rid of the HEAVY seats... CRAZY Iron Block, CRAZY on top Supercharger... SKINNY TIRES... 255's??? on 3850??? My F150 may take that car in a corner!! :bash:

Anyways... being a born and raised BLUE OVAL LOYALIST... can't FORD do the car right??? ARE WE FORCED to buy DODGE & GM PRODUCTS??? Let alone these friggin JAP CRAP EVO & STI'S??? UGGGHHH!!! :xpl:

Dodge hasn't gotten the weight thing right yet either (thank goodness)... and GM doesn't have a platform left to do it with... but they both have the drivetrains/powertrains to get it done quickly... if they choose too!!! :whine:

We need FORD to step it up with an N/A All Aluminum 5.4 at a MINIMUM... and I still don't like going against em with 30 less cubes! But it's a start!!! :rockon:

Am I way off base on this... is everyone else REALLY ok with an IRON BLOCK 5.4 in the FRONT of a MUSTANG... or a 4.6 ALUMINUM ONE?? When the rest of DETROIT is passing out 6.0 litre minimums??? Let alone 7 & 8 in their elite weapons? :idea:

Anyways... Back on topic... put me first in line... for a REAL COBRA R... or a REAL BOSS '3XX' and hey... add $10 more grand... just do it right!!! :bowdown:

Peace!

Dave

stang22

Established Member
.....Maybe you need to talk to Ford SVT and Carroll Shelby,...as they seem to view most everything differently than what you have said in your thread. I just know,that if I want answers,I listen to the "masters"mentioned above ,..not any uninformed,2nd guessing,uneducated views that you might find here amoung a few immature forum members,who basically don't have any clue on their comments of what they say! The New Shelby GT500 is quickest,best production mustang ever built.Ask those Gentlemen I mentioned!!! :-D

Dave Schotz

SCCA Racer
Established Member
I'm guessing this is somehow a slam on me... well... funny... when I google HTT's name I don't find anything about wins, or racing inspiration... :read:

And when I google Shelby... he is indeed the legend of legends... but I fear he was late on the introduction to this vehicle... and probably didn't get as much of a say as he'd a liked... :??:

If ya google my name... I think you'll see I am only about one thing, performance... and again... I tried to make it crystal clear... I am a HUGE BLUE OVAL fan... :bowdown:

stang22 said:
.....The New Shelby GT500 is quickest,best production mustang ever built.Ask those Gentlemen I mentioned!!! :-D
And lastly your quote above... I'd ask you... have you driven one yet? And don't you think that a 2007 'Quickest, Best Production Mustang' ever... should be able to out handle a 1998 Camaro SS or Firebird WS6??? :eek:

Again... don't mis-interpret this message... it was about does anyone else want to seem something a bit more pure? It wasn't to bash the GT500... the Boss 429 couldn't turn a corner either compared to a Boss 302... but it sure could fly on the big end... and is extremely respected by all, including me. :bowdown:

Peace!

Dave

Last edited:

stang22

Established Member
...No brother,no slam at all to you,just the truth by the masters,(their words)...as I have mentioned. ;-)Here's for ex., some info on handling per your question,and I quote their words: "In terms of performance, the Mustang's solid-rear-axle setup in the GT500 has been proven in race competition this year with a Mustang FR500C taking the checkered flag at the season-opening Grand-Am Cup race at Daytona," he points out.

The GT500's suspension is lower than a Mustang GT's, and uses recalibrated front and rear shocks, upgraded front and rear stabilizer bars and revised spring rates. The key to the GT500's three-link architecture, according to Ford, is the Panhard rod that provides precise control over the rear axle. It's centrally located and fastened to the upper front end of the differential, while trailing arms are located near each end of the axle.

It all rolls on 19-by-9.5-inch wheels wrapped in massive tires measuring 255/45ZR19. And the brakes are equally impressive. The Brembo front rotors are 14 inches in diameter, cross-drilled and clamped by four-piston aluminum calipers. In back, chose 13-inch rotors and four-piston calipers." I hope that helps you out alittle with your quetion on handling.

Last edited:

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
first, the tires are 285s(not that big a deal but what ever), and second, do you really think that ford is gonna release a next gen cobra(may not be by name but we all know its the next cobra) that cannot out handle the previous gen cobra(00'R aside)??? that doesnt even make sense. im not saying that i dont think ford shouldnt make a new R, by all means go for it, but the GT500 isnt going to be that bad.

i think they should bring back a re-engineered 351 to compete in these horse and cube wars. then have the 5.4 as the base performance engine. although im not so sure that ford could get this thing down to 3400lbs considering the 00'R was 3590lbs and thats in an overall smaller car with a stripped interior.

G. El Dorado

Established Member
I'd like them to make a KR (king of the road) version of the GT500 with a GT motor and a rollbar for under 50k.

Antagon

Established Member
I don't get why ford has to be so retarded on the issue. Just look at what GM did with the vette.

Lower weight? Make liberal use of carbon fiber and lightweight metals
More power? Jam a 6+ liter motor in there

I think Ford has their mind on their money, and their money on their mind :p Such obvious fixes for the GT500, yet they won't implement them?? If they can build the Zo6 for 70k, and even the Blue Devil for 100k (est), then why is this all we get for 40k?

XCELR8

I love my 4V
Established Member
Antagon said:
I don't get why ford has to be so retarded on the issue. Just look at what GM did with the vette.

Lower weight? Make liberal use of carbon fiber and lightweight metals
More power? Jam a 6+ liter motor in there

I think Ford has their mind on their money, and their money on their mind :p Such obvious fixes for the GT500, yet they won't implement them?? If they can build the Zo6 for 70k, and even the Blue Devil for 100k (est), then why is this all we get for 40k?

Carbon fiber and titanium are MUCH more exspensive. Maybe that's where the $30,000 dollar difference comes from. :rolleyes: Do you really think that Ford doesn't possess the ability to do such if they wanted to? They didn't because the Mustang is a pony car. The idea of a pony car is to offer high performance for a cheap price. I don't know about you, but if it gets any more exspensive than $40K, that isn't my idea of cheap.

Bottom line, GM doesn't make a near 500bhp car for $40 grand. Shit, no car manufacturer other than Ford does...

crazyhorse06

Established Member
I think what Dave is saying is - the Gt500 is a great car, but he wants a track car. I personally think Ford will make one. I think the next SE will be a BOSS as he described above, although I doubt a very big weight savings. Today's safety standard won't allow that much of a savings without significant cost for light weight materials. There may be a Cobra R in the future (likely a GT500KR) that will be very expensive, but, fit the light weight frame, carbon fiber, no seats, stereo, A/C, etc.

The only problem I see is "the way forward" may be the way backward for such a specialized vehicle. They did the GT. Now the development dollars may need to rest for a while.

mrGT

Established Member
crazyhorse06 said:
I think what Dave is saying is - the Gt500 is a great car, but he wants a track car. I personally think Ford will make one. I think the next SE will be a BOSS as he described above, although I doubt a very big weight savings. Today's safety standard won't allow that much of a savings without significant cost for light weight materials. There may be a Cobra R in the future (likely a GT500KR) that will be very expensive, but, fit the light weight frame, carbon fiber, no seats, stereo, A/C, etc.

The only problem I see is "the way forward" may be the way backward for such a specialized vehicle. They did the GT. Now the development dollars may need to rest for a while.
+1 for that

Ford is going to be focusing on developing and producing vehicles that will sell in very large numbers and will be profitable. There aren't enuff racer/muscle car enthusiasts to make Ford a profitable company. But I do believe that there are Ford Exec's that want hi-po vehilcles just as bad as we do.

200MPHCOBRA

Liberty Tree Needs Water
Established Member
I think the Ford faithful are going to be behind the eight ball as far as displacement goes for quite some time, as it has been since the mid to late 80's. I for one would like to kick the ass of the engineer that gave us that ridiculous bore spacing of the mod motors.

Dave Schotz

SCCA Racer
Established Member
Thanks Guys! Yeah... just hoping for a track car.... :rolling:

And agreed... whether GT500KR... or GT350 or Boss... or Cobra R... :thumbsup:

Just make her light, 450+ HP... able to corner, and some cubic inches. :bowdown:

Please :burnout:

1993cobramustan

P'O'd SVT POSTER
Established Member
Go Buy The Fr500 From Ford-it's Available Today

crazyhorse06 said:

ALL OF YOU GUYS ARE MISSING THE FACT THAT YOU CAN BUY THE NEW FORD FR500 WITH THE CAMMER MOTOR FROM FORD RACING...NO, YOU CAN
'T LICENSE IT FOR STREET USE...BUT IT IS THE SUCCESSOR TO THE "R" MODELS, AND FOR 125,000.00 PROBABLY COLLECTIBLE..........

skinsand

Established Member
...The idea of a 2008 Cobra R is giving me wood.

Build it to look like the GTR concept, put out 400+ HP/TQ, Weight 3600+/-
MSRP for $35k...

:beer:

stangfreak

Established Member
Ry_Trapp0 said:
first, the tires are 285s(not that big a deal but what ever), and second, do you really think that ford is gonna release a next gen cobra(may not be by name but we all know its the next cobra) that cannot out handle the previous gen cobra(00'R aside)??? that doesnt even make sense. im not saying that i dont think ford shouldnt make a new R, by all means go for it, but the GT500 isnt going to be that bad.

i think they should bring back a re-engineered 351 to compete in these horse and cube wars. then have the 5.4 as the base performance engine. although im not so sure that ford could get this thing down to 3400lbs considering the 00'R was 3590lbs and thats in an overall smaller car with a stripped interior.

yes!!!! bring back the 351 baby.

about the race thing, the R wasnt ment for the drag strip. i think we all know that. a lot of the handling cars arent that light if you really think about it.

but for us drag strip guys, we want POWER AND LIGHT VEHICLES DAMMIT!!!!

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
i really do like the thought, but the fact is to create a mustang like this you will see a msrp above 65k.

lets look at the 2000 mustang svt r -
little interior with no a/c and sound system.
built for the track, to be raced at the track.
cost 50k msrp in 2000.
weight of over 3500lbs or over 200 more than the mustang gt of that same year.
i saw that the balance half a percent better, 56.5/43.5.

2006 mustang gt -
its a bigger car than the 2000 mustang gt.
bigger car equalls bigger frame, bigger body, more weight.
bad weight balance of 57/43.

now how can one add a bigger engine, bigger brakes, a world class irs, stiffen the frame up and take wieght off the 3600lb car without doubling the mustang gt's price? :idea:

Last edited:

icu812

GOT MILF?
Established Member
[/QUOTE]the Boss 429 couldn't turn a corner either compared to a Boss 302... but it sure could fly on the big end... and is extremely respected by all, including me. :bowdown:

Dave[/QUOTE]
the 429 was a :smmon: turd :read:

chuckstang

Established Member
the Boss 429 couldn't turn a corner either compared to a Boss 302... but it sure could fly on the big end... and is extremely respected by all, including me. :bowdown:

Dave[/QUOTE]
the 429 was a :smmon: turd :read:[/QUOTE]
:poke:

Users who are viewing this thread