Is California the only state?

BladeX10

Established Member
I dont think CA is all that bad with smog. Out of every car i've owned, I only failed smog 1 time by a hair. I think i was like 2 points off on the NOX or something. I was so pissed i drove it around the block and hammered it alittle bit then took it back for a retest and it passed.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
I dont think CA is all that bad with smog. Out of every car i've owned, I only failed smog 1 time by a hair. I think i was like 2 points off on the NOX or something. I was so pissed i drove it around the block and hammered it alittle bit then took it back for a retest and it passed.

When I bought my cobra the current owner had bassani high flow cats on it. It barely failed. The guy was even under there with a torch trying to heat up the cats to get it to pass for us. Swapped a stock H in there and boom, blew roses.

I dont think the smog thing is an issue either. Worstcase you keep stock parts, swap them over a day before smog, get it smogged, get to see/remember how slow the car is, then swap back the next day.

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
I just went thru all of the readiness monitor bs with one of my cars and it was a pain in the ass. You are allowed 1 "not ready" code and I had 2. I did eventually get the car to pass but I learned a lot about how the smog stuff works in CA.

spitin venom

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Established Member
besides no codes being present wont it need to show all the ready tests as ready? i took one of my cars in after i had wiped the CEL and the guy told me to drive it around for about 30 miles which i did. CEL didnt come back but when he hooked up the OBDII something was still showing as "not ready" which he said would still fail. i ended up just paying to do it the *cough* easy way *cough*. but who knows how long those hook ups will be around. they used to be everywhere but not any more :shrug:

If you reflash the computer (tune), clear a CEL, or replace a battery the monitors will reset. Yes, "friendly" test centers are very few and far between now. A close friend of mine is a smog tech and he told me he would not touch my car if I had an o/r mid pipe. My rear o2's were turned off in the tune and it triggered the "not ready" codes.

SNCBOOM

Established Member
OBDII scans here in the Atlanta area, this year was my first dealing with this and it's another added PITA. It's funny, they passed the Lightning no problem with dry-rotted tires.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
When I bought my cobra the current owner had bassani high flow cats on it. It barely failed. The guy was even under there with a torch trying to heat up the cats to get it to pass for us. Swapped a stock H in there and boom, blew roses.

I dont think the smog thing is an issue either. Worstcase you keep stock parts, swap them over a day before smog, get it smogged, get to see/remember how slow the car is, then swap back the next day.
Pretty much what I do. Change stock H-pipe back on, smog it, and change it back to catted X-Pipe.
Passes with flying colors.

coposrv

Established Member
Ca is strict on SMOG ...they could care less about the condition of your car.
NJ Inspections are more of a pain in the ass to pass because they check your WHOLE car out. Im sure there are other states.

MA is like this. We just got rid of one of our vans due to this. Failed inspection for body rot. It wasn't terrible but bad enough to not justify fixing and throw away an other wise good running work vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread