Is California the only state?

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
That has smog/emissions? Or are we just the only state that is beyond strict about it?

Nope. Though I think we're the only state with a statewide emissions inspection program. There are smog tests in other places but it's a county thing Iirc, and some places its a simple OBDII scan only. And those states have actual vehicle inspections, here in stupid CA your bumper could be falling off and control arms failing but as long as what's coming out if the tailpipe is clean you're good to go. They only care about the emissions here, **** it if someone's wheel hub falls off at 80mph and kills a few people in a 20 car pileup.

Last edited:

NastyNate420

Established Member
Ca is strict on SMOG ...they could care less about the condition of your car.
NJ Inspections are more of a pain in the ass to pass because they check your WHOLE car out. Im sure there are other states.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
Nope. Though I think we're the only state with a statewide emissions inspection program. There are smog tests in other places but it's a county thing Iirc, and some places its a simple OBDII scan only. And those states have actual vehicle inspections, here in stupid CA your bumper could be falling off and control arms failing but as long as what's coming out if the tailpipe is clean you're good to go. They only care about the emissions here, **** it if someone's wheel hub falls off at 80mph and kills a few people in a 20 car pileup.

CA is supposed to be going to ODB scan only as well. theyre getting rid the tail pipe sniffer.

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
Quick check showed eight states with emissions testing programs.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
Certain counties in Texas have the tailpipe sniffer. Others have OBDII only. Still others don't check at all/visual only. I'm in an OBDII county IIRC, which is awesome because they never look under the car. $14 a year to make sure my lights, brakes, horn, ebrake and gas cap all work is fine with me. Not really a PITA, takes 15 min tops and worth it to ensure the cars on the road are at least minimally safe.

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
Can a catless tune be set to pass the OBDII only scan?
I would imagine so, an OBD test is looking for codes, and that all tests have been completed(so that you don't clear codes just before pulling in)

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Confirmed, Jan 1 CA will be down to OBDII scan only on 2000 or newer vehicles. Older than 2000 will need OBD scan + sniffer test.

And yes @ UnleashedBeast. As long as no codes are present the diagnostic equipment should see it as no different than a working cat.

When I sold my Cobra it had catalytic converters removed in the tune (Sniper SF tune) and it passed just fine.

9CobraVert8

Established Member
Ca is strict on SMOG ...they could care less about the condition of your car.
NJ Inspections are more of a pain in the ass to pass because they check your WHOLE car out. Im sure there are other states.

The NJ part you said is incorrect. In the past, yes it was a total PITA to pass. I remember when I was in line and a lady failed because here fender was cracked and had jagged edges.

But within the past two years or so they relaxed their inspections to only emissions and checking the CEL.

I've recently gone thru with an ABS, BRAKE, and AIR BAG, lights on and still passed.

Edit: Also, OBDII cars they only check the CEL for emissions issues, OBDI they put a sniffer in the tailpipe to check emissions. A buddy of mine passed in his '04 A4 with no cats, because he had CEL eliminators in.

Last edited:

01VNMS4v

T-E-X-A-S!!
Established Member
Is California the only state?.....

That everyone wishes would just fall off the ocean..... YES we do

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Is California the only state?.....

That everyone wishes would just fall off the ocean.....

philosoraptor_701035_480x300_v2.jpg

If a state falls OFF the ocean, is it really just connecting itself back with land?

Stanger00

Established Member
Confirmed, Jan 1 CA will be down to OBDII scan only on 2000 or newer vehicles. Older than 2000 will need OBD scan + sniffer test.

And yes @ UnleashedBeast. As long as no codes are present the diagnostic equipment should see it as no different than a working cat.

When I sold my Cobra it had catalytic converters removed in the tune (Sniper SF tune) and it passed just fine.

I didnt bother testing the waters with that and I was tagged with the new program that was only supposed to target OBD1 cars, STAR inspection. I guess Mustangs fall in the high fail rate category.

Besides OBDII and tailpipe sniffer CA inspections are not that bad. Like others have said you can drive cars that are about to fall apart and still get registered as long as it passes the sniffer :bash:

Could be worse and live in Europe who have real strict inspections.

Users who are viewing this thread