Is all in the tune....?

03kevo

Established Member
Got my car tuned 3 weeks ago with the mods in my signature. As far as i know, my tuned is at 11.2 AFR at 669RWHP. I feel like my tune is a little conservative, but a what point should i worry about throwing a rod through the block or after what period of time at 669rwhp will it blow up, suppose nothing affects the tune.
I usually do sprited driving around town, shifting at 4300rpms. Every 2500miles i will spin it to 7000rmps not more than twice. Never seen the track.

SteveG@Lethal

Established Member
Long as your fuel hat holds, timing is safe, and you drive it correctly... your good with that set up. I've seen 800plus out of these motors.

legos_mustang

Established Member
Got my car tuned 3 weeks ago with the mods in my signature. As far as i know, my tuned is at 11.2 AFR at 669RWHP. I feel like my tune is a little conservative, but a what point should i worry about throwing a rod through the block or after what period of time at 669rwhp will it blow up, suppose nothing affects the tune.
I usually do sprited driving around town, shifting at 4300rpms. Every 2500miles i will spin it to 7000rmps not more than twice. Never seen the track.

I was taking a look at superchargers a while back and yours seems to be in line with Stage II's with with your mods. While every car is different, I saw a few Stage II your mods would seem to produce power in the same ballpark as in this article:

Video: Supercharged Boss 302 makes 640 rwhp on the dyno | Mustangs Daily

There are some making quite a bit more but it looked like they had pulley changes and were piling on more boost. What makes you feel like its conservative? Is it when the boost kicks in, or just a comparison with other similar setups or is it something in the way the car drives?

The number of boosted Boss 302s is pretty small, but there are several GTs that have survived in high 500 to low 600 rwhp range for the last 2 years now, and it seems many have made several trips down the drag strip. Plus you have the benefit of forged / stronger internals and your fuel pump upgrade should keep you safe in that department. Theoretically, with a good tune I would think this could survive for several years, especially with the way you say you're driving it.

But as I'm sure you already know, any time you add that much HP to an engine you are running outside its designed parameters, so you're taking a risk. I think you've mitigated it as best possible without tearing the motor down and building it specifically for supercharging. They put a lot of work into the 302 to be able to take the stress of the track repeatedly so it should hold up fine. I didn't see who tuned your engine or if it was the stock procharger tune, but I would make sure that they were reputable, and had tuned several 5.0 motors including supercharged. If it is the stock procharger tune, I would probably have it checked by a reputable tuner just to make 100% sure that everything is working. Finally, just make sure you stick with good gas... again... probably nothing you haven't already heard.

I was actually wondering what your IATs are with the procharger stage II. I'm wondering because I'm still not sure what I want to do with my Boss. Initially, it was going to be a track car for me. The plan was to keep the drive train stock, as I was going to track the car regularly and warranty preservation seemed smart when driving it like that, but my situation has changed and that may no longer be possible, so I'm wondering what I'm going to do. Anyway, bottom line I may end up supercharging it and so I've been kicking around what type.

I haven't even decided what type, but I actually have been shying away from procharger, even the stage 2, primarily because of the location of the air intake. I know that they advertise that the intercooler lowers the air temps low enough, but I've never heard from anyone with a Procharged system living in a hot weather climate. I live in Az and often the car would be driven in stop and go in city traffic in 115+ degree weather.

Not to mention, we can only get 91 octane and is some of the worst gas in the country, I can't get E85 anywhere within an 45 minutes of my place so that's out - so I'm wary of throwing something in with high IATs. I was wondering if you had any experience with your IATs in stop/go traffic in any sort of heat this summer. Also, when do you start to feel the boost kick in - is it around 4K?

Last edited:

svt1111

Established Member
Prochargers resist heat soak very well, as do all centri blowers.

They build power in a linear fashion, depends on pulley size, but usually around 3,500 rpm. They pour on the top end like a freight train.

I had a D1SC on my 2011 GT. It rolled, believe me! It is for sale. Whole kit. PM me if interested.

The location of the air intake on the Procharger would appear to be a hot air intake. It is. However, I've datalogged IAT's and it was always cooler than the 2.9 Whipple on my GT500. That says something. The Stage II intercooler is very efficient. The air intake location is not an issue on the kit, I thought it would be and tried to prove it was, but it simply doesn't matter. The only temps that matter are those coming out of the intercooler and physically entering the intake manifold. And that's where the kit shines.

OP- your motor should last a long time with those driving habits at that HP level. If you road raced 2-3 times a month, and drag raced 2-3 times a month, I'd say it will reduce the longevity. But since you only "performance" drive, it should last a time.

I was taking a look at superchargers a while back and yours seems to be in line with Stage II's with with your mods. While every car is different, I saw a few Stage II your mods would seem to produce power in the same ballpark as in this article:

Video: Supercharged Boss 302 makes 640 rwhp on the dyno | Mustangs Daily

There are some making quite a bit more but it looked like they had pulley changes and were piling on more boost. What makes you feel like its conservative? Is it when the boost kicks in, or just a comparison with other similar setups or is it something in the way the car drives?

The number of boosted Boss 302s is pretty small, but there are several GTs that have survived in high 500 to low 600 rwhp range for the last 2 years now, and it seems many have made several trips down the drag strip. Plus you have the benefit of forged / stronger internals and your fuel pump upgrade should keep you safe in that department. Theoretically, with a good tune I would think this could survive for several years, especially with the way you say you're driving it.

But as I'm sure you already know, any time you add that much HP to an engine you are running outside its designed parameters, so you're taking a risk. I think you've mitigated it as best possible without tearing the motor down and building it specifically for supercharging. They put a lot of work into the 302 to be able to take the stress of the track repeatedly so it should hold up fine. I didn't see who tuned your engine or if it was the stock procharger tune, but I would make sure that they were reputable, and had tuned several 5.0 motors including supercharged. If it is the stock procharger tune, I would probably have it checked by a reputable tuner just to make 100% sure that everything is working. Finally, just make sure you stick with good gas... again... probably nothing you haven't already heard.

I was actually wondering what your IATs are with the procharger stage II. I'm wondering because I'm still not sure what I want to do with my Boss. Initially, it was going to be a track car for me. The plan was to keep the drive train stock, as I was going to track the car regularly and warranty preservation seemed smart when driving it like that, but my situation has changed and that may no longer be possible, so I'm wondering what I'm going to do. Anyway, bottom line I may end up supercharging it and so I've been kicking around what type.

I haven't even decided what type, but I actually have been shying away from procharger, even the stage 2, primarily because of the location of the air intake. I know that they advertise that the intercooler lowers the air temps low enough, but I've never heard from anyone with a Procharged system living in a hot weather climate. I live in Az and often the car would be driven in stop and go in city traffic in 115+ degree weather.

Not to mention, we can only get 91 octane and is some of the worst gas in the country, I can't get E85 anywhere within an 45 minutes of my place so that's out - so I'm wary of throwing something in with high IATs. I was wondering if you had any experience with your IATs in stop/go traffic in any sort of heat this summer. Also, when do you start to feel the boost kick in - is it around 4K?

5 DOT 0

Established Member
I'm confused, why go through the time and expense of adding all those mods and not drive the car hard and often? What's the rev limit set at and have you tested it? I'd be testing the rev limiter daily and enjoying the additional HP and not worrying about how long it's going to last. Seems you've already made the decision to void your warranty so why worry now? ;-)

03kevo

Established Member
Thanks for the responses.

I'm confused, why go through the time and expense of adding all those mods and not drive the car hard and often? What's the rev limit set at and have you tested it? I'd be testing the rev limiter daily and enjoying the additional HP and not worrying about how long it's going to last. Seems you've already made the decision to void your warranty so why worry now? ;-)

Just because i added all those mods does not mean i should beat on the car and rev all the way to rev lim in every gear. If you dont know yet, these motors cost money to rebuild and lots of it. I dont think i want to be building a motor every other week.

wojowojo16

Established Member
I had a 2001 cobra with a P1 @ 14 psi and ran it hard every time I drove it.....it had a built bottom end but so does your boss....enjoy it!

Users who are viewing this thread