IS accufabe throttle body and plenem worth it? 03 cobra

5_0coyote

Established Member
alright well i finally got my 03 cobra tuned by devin at ADS in chandler Arizona and wow what a difference for my old tune. Well anyways i still have stock intake tube and stock throttle body and plenem and devin the tuner said if i get a JLT intake And Accufab throttle body and plenem that i would make more hp. Is that true? a lot of people are saying the Accufab isn't worth ut and don't add hp but has any one felt the diff or even got a dyno numbers?

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
A ported stock tb/plenum combo makes close to the exact hp/tq as a ported Accufab. So to answer your question no it isn't worth it at all. "tip-in" throttle response would be a hair more snappy maybe and that's it. Check out the *sticky* thread at this top of this engine sections page for the tb/plenum combo's testing that was done a few years ago. It's got some helpful info.

5_0coyote

Established Member
A ported stock tb/plenum combo makes close to the exact hp/tq as a ported Accufab. So to answer your question no it isn't worth it at all. "tip-in" throttle response would be a hair more snappy maybe and that's it. Check out the *sticky* thread at this top of this engine sections page for the tb/plenum combo's testing that was done a few years ago. It's got some helpful info.

Alright to what do you recommend get the stock throttle body and plenum ported? And i have the stock intake tube but a bigger filter i heard those are restrictive what do you say about that? thinking about getting a JLT RAI.

stangfreak

Established Member
Port the stocker and enjoy the stock drivability. I still have the stock intake and I make 710 rwhp with my whipple on 21 lbs of boost in the heat and my car has a soft motor.

03' White Snake

Established Member
And for the money to port the stock TB and plenum you can almost buy the accufab TB. Polished Accufab TB looks waaaay better than a cast stock TB.

Definitely get rid of the stock intake tube for a JLT.

5_0coyote

Established Member
Port the stocker and enjoy the stock drivability. I still have the stock intake and I make 710 rwhp with my whipple on 21 lbs of boost in the heat and my car has a soft motor.

Alright how about the dragon throttle body and plenum?

5_0coyote

Established Member
And for the money to port the stock TB and plenum you can almost buy the accufab TB. Polished Accufab TB looks waaaay better than a cast stock TB.

Definitely get rid of the stock intake tube for a JLT.

Alright will do you think it will keep the Heat a bit lower or what? is the whine going to be a bit louder?

SlowSVT

Established Member
You won't do much better regarding this topic than advice from Posi. stangfreak has been around before they invented dirt.

nuff said

cj428mach

Established Member
The stock intake elbow has proven itself many times as far as power goes. I'm running a JLT gen 2 because I feel it fits better than the OEM elbow. My Powered by SVT coil covers I had on my old SB car would agree, lol.

Tractionless1

Established Member
Accucraps are notoriously hard to tune for driveability as the blade frequently catches the bore. I sent mine back for adjustment and was charged $90. Six weeks later, same problem. The solution? Send it back for another $90 adjustment, yep that's what they said!

I got a Dragon and had the same issue, difference is Dragon sent parts free to repair myself. When I couldn't adjust properly they fixed and shipped if for FREE! Haven't looked back since. While you may not pick up HP as some say above the throttle response is GREATLY improved. The difference between the Accucrap and Dragon was like the difference between Accucrap and OE.

whitedevil95

@the03cobro
Established Member
Accucraps are notoriously hard to tune for driveability as the blade frequently catches the bore. I sent mine back for adjustment and was charged $90. Six weeks later, same problem. The solution? Send it back for another $90 adjustment, yep that's what they said!

I got a Dragon and had the same issue, difference is Dragon sent parts free to repair myself. When I couldn't adjust properly they fixed and shipped if for FREE! Haven't looked back since. While you may not pick up HP as some say above the throttle response is GREATLY improved. The difference between the Accucrap and Dragon was like the difference between Accucrap and OE.

Sucks you had that issue. Mine has been great. Bolted right on set TPS voltage and maintained stock like drivability. No sticking no hanging idle.

whitedevil95

@the03cobro
Established Member

Sucks you had that issue. Mine has been great. Bolted right on set TPS voltage and maintained stock like drivability. No sticking no hanging idle.

94slowbra1

Established Member
so at what point does a t/b and or plenum become a worth while upgrade? certain hp level, boost level ect.... i do agree that on mild car (eaton with pulley) its probably not worth it. a ported stocker can handle the flow. what about a whipple/tvs/kb car making in the range of 600. to me a single blade t/b is better that a stock t/b, even ported.
with that being said i run a posi ported stock t/b on my 2.3 whipple and make 616 to the wheels with stock like drive ability

5_0coyote

Established Member
so at what point does a t/b and or plenum become a worth while upgrade? certain hp level, boost level ect.... i do agree that on mild car (eaton with pulley) its probably not worth it. a ported stocker can handle the flow. what about a whipple/tvs/kb car making in the range of 600. to me a single blade t/b is better that a stock t/b, even ported.
with that being said i run a posi ported stock t/b on my 2.3 whipple and make 616 to the wheels with stock like drive ability
Yeah my eaton is ported and i have a 2.9upper and alb lower so aim spinning the eaton pretty good.

5_0coyote

Established Member

Yeah sounds like thats what aim going to be doing cause i and ported and make 16psi on the eaton. Put is there any gains from porting?

03' White Snake

Established Member
My tuner has no issues tuning accufab. I made sure i switched to a single blade before ordering my KB as the plenum is not the same when you step up to a TS. My car drives like stock until i put the hammer down. To each is their own.

snakerider

SVT-DROP
Established Member
I been running SB Accufab tb and plenum for almost 5 years now. First ran it with my ported eaton now running it with 2.9 whipple . I never had a issue with hanging idle or any tuning issues. One thing for sure is it does have crisper throttle response over the stock tb.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread