is 15 W50 too thick?

ogc

Established Member
Hey guys,

Well I have a little bit of a blow by problem, I replaced the PCV still have the issue, so it is obviously something to do with my rings.

Anyways, I have heard running a thicker oil will help, I am currently running Mobil 10W30, is 15 W50 to thick for our motors?

The car only gets driven in the summer.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Yes. I would go 20W30.

Or change to Castrol German Spec 10W30. Its a heaver oil than its Mobil 1 counterparts.

I've noticed less consumption. I've got 1200 on it so far and I can't see any noticable loss. I could see a decrease with Mobil 1.

ogc

Established Member
VirtualSVT said:
Yes. I would go 20W30.

Or change to Castrol German Spec 10W30. Its a heaver oil than its Mobil 1 counterparts.

I've noticed less consumption. I've got 1200 on it so far and I can't see any noticable loss. I could see a decrease with Mobil 1.

Yah Mobil just seeme to be way to thin for the weight it is given.

Cool, I just wanted to make sure I wasnt going to hurt anything any worse.

Ciotti

See-ahh-tee
Established Member
I've got the blowby problem as well, I seem to remember someone on here suggesting Valvoline Max Life oil at one point???

I'm running Penzoil's 5w30 full synthetic and I find myself dumping an extra quart in about every 3 weeks.

Anyone else running heavier oil have suggestions on a specific brand that has worked well for them?

Virtual, I'm assuming that you're running that german Castrol right now and it's working well?

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Ciotti said:
Virtual, I'm assuming that you're running that german Castrol right now and it's working well?

Correct. 7 quarts at that. I've also noticed a little less topend noise especially after the car heats up.

Ciotti

See-ahh-tee
Established Member
I hate to be the dumb new guy, but maybe there are some others out there also wondering what happens when our lash adjusters pump up???

Edit...
Found the answer, I may be the dumb new guy but at least I know how to do a mean Google search or two...

With a hydraulic cam the valve spring must exert enough pressure against the valve lifter (or lash adjuster) plunger to keep it centered in its travel to prevent "lifter pump-up". When pump-up occurs the valve is held slightly off its seat resulting in a significant loss of power and possibly a misfire. It is this loss of power and misfire that is often misdiagnosed as a fuel system or ignition system problem.

High oil pressures and high viscosity oils aggravate "lifter pump-up" in hydraulic lifters. When either oil pressure or oil viscosity is going to be increased beyond the manufacturer's recommendation, a corresponding increase in spring seat pressure is necessary to prevent "pump-up" (even with an "anti-pump-up" lifter). Since oil viscosity in no way relates to the oil's film strength, and the scuffing protection provided by the film strength, Crane Cams recommends following the OE manufacturer's recommendation with respect to engine oil.

Last edited:

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
fyi, german castrol is only 0w-30. 5w-40 is belgian castrol. Anything else is group III american made junk.

whtcobra1998

Jet Powered
Established Member
I run castrol syntech 5w 50, made my valvetrain happy and I beat the livin sh*t out of my caron a daily basis, no problems actually runs better and keep it at 6qts.

Stangmike

It looks mantastic
Established Member
yeah 15w50 is what you put into diesel engines...

if you are getting blow by at 10w30, then step up to 10w40, and that will help.

Users who are viewing this thread