IRS to Solid Rear

LuDamiKE81

Flattest of the Flat
Established Member
Btw i snapped a shaft in the irs, went level 5's then cracked the housing WITH a irs brace then i was set on my decision.

NJ 03Mach1

Hillclimbers do it better
Established Member
Any of you guy's looking to swap, if ya go to Mach1Registry.com and post there i'm sure you'll find a Mach willing to swap over.

I did the IRS swap, and LOVE it.

TrickStang37

Established Member
yah and thats what ill prolly do. Do you know if the mach 1 and GT rear ends are the same? a friend is putting 620 whp on his mach 1 rear end and is holding up great.

you'll want to upgrade the rear end to 31 spline if your planning on abusing it, stock 28 spline would be borderline.

WS6JJP

Corn juice powered
Established Member
LOL do you really think the solid is immune to wheel hop?? it's very real, it doesn't happen often at all, but it's not perfect either.

i can admit that it *is* possible....but out of all of the SRA mustangs/cobras ive owned i have never, not once had wheel hop, on or off the track. As a matter of fact the last SRA car i had that DID wheel hop was my 96 WS6 Trans Am. It did it so bad i thought the rear hatch window was going to shatter. Like i said, im sure its possible just not very probable.

281CJ

Established Member
yah and thats what ill prolly do. Do you know if the mach 1 and GT rear ends are the same? a friend is putting 620 whp on his mach 1 rear end and is holding up great.

Hes not launching it hard then, the GT and Mach1 are the same rear, 28spline. People snap them stock with DR's or Slicks so hes not punishing that rear at all or hes got a built one. the only difference is the gearing, mach1 is 3.55Ii THINK GT is 3.27?

RAZRS EDGE

Stay Humble
Established Member
:dw:
So help us all out here and let us know what the magic tire is.

Have have had:
315 Hoosier DR's
275 MT Dr's
315 BGF DR's
295 Falken RT-615's
Goodyears
KDW's

On and one that wont snap the stock halfshaft like a twig.

Want to know what your problem is? I'm going to venture and guess every one of those tires mentioned above were mounted on a 17" or18" wheel. Am I wrong?

It's called getting a tire with some SIDEWALL. Trying to run a low-profile drag radial at the track with these cars that produce such an ample amount of Torque on the low end is retarded IMO. You can do it, BUT most do not know how to drive/launch at the track and can't for the life of them think to lift when wheel hop occurs.

You can run stock half shafts ALL DAY and do 5k+ launches and not have a problem if you do 1 of 2 things. The first being, run a 26" or 28" tall tire(depending on your power output and gearing). Secondly, if you MUST run a low profile drag radial at the track:)nonono:), replace the crap-factory IRS Bushings with Derlin bushings along with Aluminum differential bushings. When you run such a low profile tire, there is nothing there to take the brunt of the hit when you launch the car. So all that energy will generally find its way back into the IRS subframe and I hate to say it but our IRS isn't what I would call a marvel of Engineering design. A FULL Derlin bushing set is HALF the cost of a set of DSS half shafts.

Point being, when you know what you are doing and running the right equipment, the IRS flat out works. I've cut 1.5X 60' times for years on these cars with stock half shafts and I know MANY others that have as well. And I have NEVER broken a pair.

MikeW

Established Member
Razers Edge I have ran a 27 inch tall tire but your are correct it was a 18 inch rim 295/45/18. I have yet to break a stock halfshaft my self but I have seen one or two die with DR's. I do agree that more sidewall (less stiff) works wonders but not many street cars running a 15 inch rim with bi-ply tires 24/7. My best 60' on a complete stock IRS is 1.68 (sucks). I'm going soild where the chances of breakage is less. I will also run a 15 inch rim and slick at the track without having to grind on my IRS to do it.

For what I want to do with the car the "nice IRS ride" is not that important to me. It is not due to lack of knowledge I assure you. Heck, my vert will still have IRS in it if I feel the need for a nice smotth ride and 600RWHP.

Last edited:

RAZRS EDGE

Stay Humble
Established Member
Razers Edge I have ran a 28 inch tall tire but your are correct it was a 18 inch rim 295/45/18. I have yet to break a stock halfshaft my self but I have seen one or two die with DR's. I do agree that more sidewall (less stiff) works wonders but not many street cars running a 15 inch rim with bi-ply tires 24/7. My best 60' on a complete stock IRS is 1.68 (sucks). I'm going soild where the chances of breakage is less. I will also run a 15 inch rim and slick at the track without having to grind on my IRS to do it.

For what I want to do with the car the "nice IRS ride" is not that important to me. It is not due to lack of knowledge I assure you. Heck, my vert will still have IRS in it if I feel the need for a nice smotth ride and 600RWHP.

I agree with this too b/c I don't run my slicks 24/7 either! But if you want to launch the car from a dig(especially on the street), you need to think about everything I mentioned before. B/c from a dead stop is where 99% of people break the stock half-shafts. Can even happen from a SLOW roll. Just have to learn when to get out of the throttle!

And I'm not necessarily calling you out, just to anyone with this problem. :beer:

MikeW

Established Member
I see what you mean... I am not anti-IRS and know it can be made to take LOADS of abuse.. I am just taking the short road and hope to spend less $$$ in the long run. I was going level 5 halfs but since I have two 03's I figure why not build a nice SRA for one and see how it goes. I'm keeping the IRS incase I want it bac in the car down the road.

I have a buddy that had a 1,000RWHP Viper that was on IRS (upgraded halfs) and he never had any issues so IRS can do the job for sure.

RAZRS EDGE

Stay Humble
Established Member
I see what you mean... I am not anti-IRS and know it can be made to take LOADS of abuse.. I am just taking the short road and hope to spend less $$$ in the long run. I was going level 5 halfs but since I have two 03's I figure why not build a nice SRA for one and see how it goes. I'm keeping the IRS incase I want it bac in the car down the road.

I have a buddy that had a 1,000RWHP Viper that was on IRS (upgraded halfs) and he never had any issues so IRS can do the job for sure.

Well good luck with the swap if you do it! Still think you should keep the ol' IRS in there though :thumbsup:

SaleenFiend

04 MC Cobra
Established Member
SRA was the best mod on my 01 cobra ever, 2nd best mod on my bro's 03 cobra (behind a whipple), and will be the next mod on my 04 cobra

TrickStang37

Established Member
Hes not launching it hard then, the GT and Mach1 are the same rear, 28spline. People snap them stock with DR's or Slicks so hes not punishing that rear at all or hes got a built one. the only difference is the gearing, mach1 is 3.55Ii THINK GT is 3.27?

+1

in the end, i think it ends up costing a little more for the solid axle, but you do lose the weight.

331power

Established Member
Better forward grip, less complicated, less expensive easier to work on, save AT LEAST 100 pounds which is great for the terminators. Also dont let others tell you that they ride like crap and that they cant handle. All you need is a TQ arm and a Panhard bar!

MustangMikeKy

Whippled L
Established Member
I broke my half shaft before the car ever moved . . .

17 inch rim. . . which is bad. . . but 26inch tall. . . 12 psi

i wanted to do 15's, with 26's. . . but didn't get them in time . . . and it took 2 HARD launches before it broke on the 3rd

HEMIHUNTER

Established Member
Good info Razrs.
I like the IRS. IMHO it makes the Cobra what it is. That being said you guys that 1/4 mile a lot do have a point.
It's up to you.
p.s. there is a member here thats workin' on a beefed up version of the IRS I think he's road testing it as I type.
If you can wait or are on the fence do a search.

splitdecisions

Established Member
at what point does one decide that a SRA is necessary? My plans are a ~450-500ish whp street terror, with the occasional drag strip visit maybe once or twice a year. Is the SRA really worth it for my goals/objectives?

If not what can I do from stock to the IRS to help out with wheel hop other than an IRS brace and tires(555r DR's)?

...and how much of a PITA is the install?

/threadjack

Last edited:

SaleenFiend

04 MC Cobra
Established Member
at what point does one decide that a SRA is necessary? My plans are a ~450-500ish whp street terror, with the occasional drag strip visit maybe once or twice a year. Is the SRA really worth it for my goals/objectives?

If not what can I do from stock to the IRS to help out with wheel hop other than an IRS brace and tires(555r DR's)?

/threadjack

1. Easier to work on, less hassle.
2. Can Be built to ride as good as IRS
3. Easily built to be stronger and more reliable that an IRS
4. Saves Weight

Fast Willy

Established Member
I did the swap but put steeda's 5 link-2 in the car at the same time with there lower control arms and I would say it handles better then any irs car .

TrickStang37

Established Member

/threadjack
subframe connectors and bushings cured it for me.

Users who are viewing this thread