IRS to Solid Rear

TrickStang37

Established Member
to some, yes. its a preference thing. i'd have to drive an 03/04 cobra with a solid to sell me on it though.

WS6JJP

Corn juice powered
Established Member
i did the swap on my old 03 ocbra that i had and it did shed more than 100lbs and yes it is worth it. I installed a stock 8.8 that 3.73's installed with aftermarket lower control arms and stock upper control arms (no quad shocks either) and i had ZERO wheel hop. If you're getting wheel hop from a solid rear axle you're doing something wrong. Besides the twin screw blower that i had on it, the SRA mod was the 2nd best thing i did to that car!

TrickStang37

Established Member
i did the swap on my old 03 ocbra that i had and it did shed more than 100lbs and yes it is worth it. I installed a stock 8.8 that 3.73's installed with aftermarket lower control arms and stock upper control arms (no quad shocks either) and i had ZERO wheel hop. If you're getting wheel hop from a solid rear axle you're doing something wrong. Besides the twin screw blower that i had on it, the SRA mod was the 2nd best thing i did to that car!

LOL do you really think the solid is immune to wheel hop?? it's very real, it doesn't happen often at all, but it's not perfect either.

TrickStang37

Established Member
How much weight will this shave off the rear of the car??

anyone know??

Thanks,

Mike
and if your going to do it, MAKE SURE to reinforce the tq boxes. they'll probably still end up getting mangled but atleast they'll hold up a little longer. it's about a MUST as getting subframe connectors in a performance car.

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
LOL do you really think the solid is immune to wheel hop?? it's very real, it doesn't happen often at all, but it's not perfect either.

Very true, Wheel hop can and does happen with SRA's as well. The thing to remember though, is it can usually be cured with simple pinion angle changes or better control arms. It also is WAY less destructive in an SRA car than it is in an IRS car. Wheel hop will tear CV joints apart and also causes enormous amounts of stress on the diff cover.

281CJ

Established Member
Some guys will swap their solid for your IRS, you can find mach1 and GT guys willing to trade all over.

webleedorange61

GO HORNS!!
Established Member
Some guys will swap their solid for your IRS, you can find mach1 and GT guys willing to trade all over.

yah and thats what ill prolly do. Do you know if the mach 1 and GT rear ends are the same? a friend is putting 620 whp on his mach 1 rear end and is holding up great.

supercarkiller

griggsg40svt
Established Member
i did a solid axle swap w/ griggsgr40 set up in rear and absolutley love it no wheel hop and car hooks great still saving for front setup though

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
DON"T DO IT!!!!

why is everyone so quick to ditch the IRS? they don't break easily and they don't hop. it's ALL about the tire

LuDamiKE81

Flattest of the Flat
Established Member
I did it. DO IT do it! You'll love it. Although i had to get drag bags the gt eibach sportlines squat a LOT. But now it rides like a cadillac and pulls like a train. I also have 3.73's. I took the axle out of my gt and got finished in about 4hrs.I also ditched the quad shocks. No wheelhop yet.

MikeW

Established Member
DON"T DO IT!!!!

why is everyone so quick to ditch the IRS? they don't break easily and they don't hop. it's ALL about the tire

:dw:
So help us all out here and let us know what the magic tire is.

Have have had:
315 Hoosier DR's
275 MT Dr's
315 BGF DR's
295 Falken RT-615's
Goodyears
KDW's

On and one that wont snap the stock halfshaft like a twig.

Users who are viewing this thread