IRS Swap Double Check

drewsky121

Established Member
Read a lot of forums.. found as much info as I can.. but i want to double check this since I'm ordering everything half way across the world and need it to be ready for when i get home. if you've done the swap, please chime in! just want to make sure i've got it all covered.

1995 Mustang GT swapping in a 2003 cobra irs.

-Bought the IRS, coming with solid bushings and a pumpkin brace.
upgraded crossmember brace as well.
-cobra brakes/pads/rotors as well as brake lines from the original car
-exhaust from the cobra (think it was a flowmaster or something else)
-went ahead and purchased Koni SA shocks w/ coil over conversion for the IRS
-also got the ABS sensors as well to plug into.

Everythign else should be fine correct? I understand that i will have to lower the tank to drill two holes for support. someone said its best to make a plate to go on top to prevent it from caving in when bolted up.
Also, i'm correct in saying the E-brake lines will work?

Any help is appreciated! Thanks guys.

blacksheep-1

Established Member
Make sure you get the rear bracket for the IRS (takes the place of the quad shock mount) they are not the same. I'm thinking at that point it's a bolt on, I think you only have to fab up a top plate if it's going into a pre-94. I've put these things into everything except an SN95, but I think they are the same as a new edge. Keep the IRS cradle bolts with the IRS as well.

stand by...
Here's a thread I did a while back
new edge rearend swap IRS/ stick axle

it sounds like you have it pretty well covered though.

Last edited:

Gravik

Established Member
I didn't have to lower the tank when I did the IRS swap. Drilled right into the trunk.

Also you may have to get your driveshaft shortened and you will need a precision u-joint.

blacksheep-1

Established Member
I didn't have to lower the tank when I did the IRS swap. Drilled right into the trunk.

Also you may have to get your driveshaft shortened and you will need a precision u-joint.

Yes the IRS driveshaft is def shorter..forgot about that one do a search, somewhere on these forums is the correct lengths listed.

drewsky121

Established Member
I heard the 94-98 you have to drop the tank to drill holes that are pre-existing on everything 99 and up. If i grabbed a cobra driveshaft and just swapped out the front yokes, would that work?

are these the mounting brackets you're talking about? 2003 2004 Mustang Cobra IRS Mounting Brackets L R Set 99 01 Rear End | eBay i haven't heard anybody mentioning i need to get those before.. but i'll look into it.

drewsky121

Established Member
after doing a few searches. looks like the t56 is longer than the t5 which is why the driveshaft is shorter. i need to change out the flange on the IRS to fit the driveshaft i currently have but the people who have done it seem to say it works. all 94-04 driveshafts are the same length minus the cobra because of the t56.

UncleSAm

Blow Me
Established Member
You don't have to drop the tank, when I did the the swap in my 98, just attached the brackets where the quad shocks went and drilled and done. Just swapped over my pinion flange and used my factory drive shaft

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
You don't have to drop the tank, when I did the the swap in my 98, just attached the brackets where the quad shocks went and drilled and done. Just swapped over my pinion flange and used my factory drive shaft

I really would like to know how in the world you didn't have to drop the gas tank. The gas tank/fuel lines are literally IN THE WAY where the holes need to be drilled on the passenger side.

blacksheep-1

Established Member
I heard the 94-98 you have to drop the tank to drill holes that are pre-existing on everything 99 and up. If i grabbed a cobra driveshaft and just swapped out the front yokes, would that work?

are these the mounting brackets you're talking about? 2003 2004 Mustang Cobra IRS Mounting Brackets L R Set 99 01 Rear End | eBay i haven't heard anybody mentioning i need to get those before.. but i'll look into it.

Yes they are but that guy is raping you, call FTBR and see if he has an extra set, they're getting expensive but not THAT expensive. If worse comes to worse call me, I may have a set lying around here that I'll sell for 1/2 that, I'd prefer to keep them but I don't mind helping someone out.

You can also check with MPS auto salvage

Last edited:

UncleSAm

Blow Me
Established Member
I really would like to know how in the world you didn't have to drop the gas tank. The gas tank/fuel lines are literally IN THE WAY where the holes need to be drilled on the passenger side.

Don't know what to say. I bolted the bracket in and used a long ass bit and Put 4 holes and then dropped the 4 bolts in from the truck...

Mystic-SVT

snuggle fest, mmmmm!
Established Member
Even with the longest bit I had (18") there was just no way to drill straight up into the frame. I figured removing the gas tank was better than damaging the tank or cutting into the the fuel lines and BBQ-ing myself.

UncleSAm

Blow Me
Established Member
even with the longest bit i had (18") there was just no way to drill straight up into the frame. I figured removing the gas tank was better than damaging the tank or cutting into the the fuel lines and bbq-ing myself.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

drewsky121

Established Member
no i wasn't buying them from hi, i was just making sure thats what i was looking for. if you are willing to sell them, i will probably buy from you if you are willing to part with it because the IRS i'm buying does not include it...

blacksheep-1

Established Member
no i wasn't buying them from hi, i was just making sure thats what i was looking for. if you are willing to sell them, i will probably buy from you if you are willing to part with it because the IRS i'm buying does not include it...

Why not? they're part of the unit, if not where did they go?, They can't be used for anything else. he must still have them. Like I said, I'd prefer to hang on to my , check with FTBR.

drewsky121

Established Member
They don't have any, know of any other places that may? the guy i bought it from doesn't have them, he's just a parts collector. didn't come off his car and apparently failed to grab them.

sonicsaleen

1st or last
Established Member
Yes they are but that guy is raping you, call FTBR and see if he has an extra set, they're getting expensive but not THAT expensive. If worse comes to worse call me, I may have a set lying around here that I'll sell for 1/2 that, I'd prefer to keep them but I don't mind helping someone out.

You can also check with MPS auto salvage

Thats what Mps charges for one side.

blacksheep-1

Established Member
It's your lucky day, I have an extra set, I'll take 80 bucks (an extra 5 for having to dig them out of hiding) plus shipping from Florida. I'm old skool and don't do the pay pal BS so we need to work something out if you're interested.

BTW if you text message me, the deal is off ......:nono:

apparently, I have 2-1/2 sets of them..make sure these are the right ones, I have no reason to keep the quad shock brackets around so these should be the right ones.

BpDNhnVl.jpg

O82xSN0l.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread