IRS, sure gets hot

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Interesting, i wonder if the T2R survives better under heat, or is the actual exhaust the one that causes more problems than anything else.

As i said before, i haven't had a problem yet, i have side exhaust and a T2.

What does the Cobra R has for diff?

The 2000 Cobra R came from the factory with a POS Eurodisc and most of us have replaced them with a Torsen T2R. A Torsen will run cooler because there are no slipping discs inside. Slipping discs generate lots of heat.

FWIW

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

sleepless

Established Member
My T2R runs very hot; even with the wrapped exhaust. I had to add a catch can to keep it from spraying on the exhaust. But, it smoked only once when we overfilled it a bit (also got black flagged :( ).

To keep the temps under control, I have a diff cooler with dual fans (there just isn't enough air flow underthese cars!). Before, I'd easily hit 260 degrees. Now, even on a hot day and 30 minutes of hard driving, it barely hits 260 sometimes (usally in the 240 range; much like the engine oil and coolant... seems to be a magic temp).

As you can see below, we've tried all things possible to keep it cool. Everything was in stages:

1) Oil cooler (not enough)
2) slots in bumper cover (not enough)
3) air scoop (not enough)
4) dual fans (nice and cool now :) ).

2121088876_52f3140c67_o.jpg

I didn't try painting it all white though :p

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
My T2R runs very hot; even with the wrapped exhaust. I had to add a catch can to keep it from spraying on the exhaust. But, it smoked only once when we overfilled it a bit (also got black flagged :( ).

To keep the temps under control, I have a diff cooler with dual fans (there just isn't enough air flow underthese cars!). Before, I'd easily hit 260 degrees. Now, even on a hot day and 30 minutes of hard driving, it barely hits 260 sometimes (usally in the 240 range; much like the engine oil and coolant... seems to be a magic temp).

As you can see below, we've tried all things possible to keep it cool. Everything was in stages:

1) Oil cooler (not enough)
2) slots in bumper cover (not enough)
3) air scoop (not enough)
4) dual fans (nice and cool now :) ).

2121088876_52f3140c67_o.jpg

I didn't try painting it all white though :p

Does your unit turn on automatically? If so, that may be part of the problem. Turning it on at 190 is too late IMHO. I turn mine on when it hits about 135 or so. If I waited until 190 to turn it on it would run 250 for the remainder of the session.

FWIW

sleepless

Established Member
Does your unit turn on automatically? If so, that may be part of the problem. Turning it on at 190 is too late IMHO. I turn mine on when it hits about 135 or so. If I waited until 190 to turn it on it would run 250 for the remainder of the session.

FWIW

It is manual switch. I turn it on as you do; at a pretty low temp.

Maynor

Established Member
Where are you guys buying your T2R's? Do they have the groove milled in for the half-shaft c-clips or do you need to find someone to do that part?

Ideally, I'm looking for a bolt and play drop in T2R if possible.

I'm going to be dropping the Pumpkin in the next few weeks to helicoil several stripped bolt holes for the diff cover. I'm tired of the leaks.

Might as well swap the differential at the same time. Suggestions?

9746Cobra

spinnin4Vs
Established Member
A buddy of mine who did the three days at Daytona has bearing noise from the rear of his 03 Cobra. It boiled out the fluid at least once, though not at this event. He has stock gears and runs good fluid (Royal purple synthetic I think).

It didn't seem to me that the sound is coming from either side, but just the back. He's thinking he'll replace the wheel bearings and see if that gets it. If not, he'll have the rear chunk rebuilt.

I'm not willing to put a diff cooler on my daily driver, so I'm not doing Daytona or sustained high speed tracks like it in this car again. I'm going to prep up the '97 Cobra for that.

For you guys who still have doubts, go for a normal drive on the interstate. When you get home reach underneath and put your hand on the pumpkin. You'll be burned after about three seconds! Now imagine a bunch of full throttle and high speeds! It cooks fluid and bearings in short-order.

9746C

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
For you guys who still have doubts, go for a normal drive on the interstate. When you get home reach underneath and put your hand on the pumpkin. You'll be burned after about three seconds! Now imagine a bunch of full throttle and high speeds! It cooks fluid and bearings in short-order.

9746C

You can also burn your hand on an oil pan or a trans. Those are normal operating temperatures.

I have a temp sending unit on my diff and it barely reaches 140-150 when driving on the street. Same with my engine oil temp.

But get it on the track where you run WOT 80% or more of the time and it's a totally different thing!

FWIW

9746Cobra

spinnin4Vs
Established Member
Well, in comparison the IRS gets far hotter.

I recall doing the same with solid axle vehicle and it was just warm.

9746C

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
True. I was trying to relate the temps when he talked about not being able to touch it.

10 seconds of 130 degree's is enough to burn though.

Users who are viewing this thread