IRS, sure gets hot

9746Cobra

spinnin4Vs
Established Member
The diff cooler is too much trouble for me to go though.

Besides I have a paid off '97 Cobra I can drive OT. Which is what I'm going to do. Won't need a diff cooler on that.

9746C

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Okay so it wasn't standard on the R's it was an option?

9746C

Not an option either. It was however recommended by Ford for driving on track.

The 2000 R was a base Mustang with one and only one option, the R package. IIRC the R package was about the same price as the base Mustang.

FWIW

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
I run the diff housing vent tube up into the frame rail like a solid axle car. If it belches out the vent tube, all it does is help my rear frame rail not to rust... :D

I've also seen installations where a hose was run into the trunk and into a vented expansion tank (the orange kenny brown 04), or into an empty bottle of motor oil (kermit)

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
How would this be for a simple solution (light track use)? Turn downs and a diff girdle with more capacity (.5 pint in this case)?

CF-808_MED.jpg

BlackStripes

Established Member
wow, i didnt know about this product!!!

"Includes fill, drain and breather ports for easy servicing of the rear as well as possible external pump hook up"

Enough for me.... I am ordering one.

Sorry, i got excited :D.

I'd say that you are gonna be fine. As i said before, i dont have a cooler -I do have side exhaust-, i open track my car about 7-8 times a year, i am not too slow (about 4 secs off the AI record in tracks i go), but i still have street tires... so, i am not pushing the diff as much.

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
Is it a direct bolt in? I'd like to see what all is involved with changing (fabbing?) brackets to get it in place of the factory cover. It may not be much easier than putting in brackets and installing a cooler (I'd imagine it is though since there is no plumbing, tapping, wiring, etc involved). Definitely cheaper though. I also agree with Bruce that I don't know if it would really help as much as needed anyways. Looks to be more of a drag piece as they add the cap girdles which I don't see as being needed for OTing.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Drilling and tapping the bottom of the case wasn't that big of a deal. I did it in the car. Then drilled and tapped the OEM cover (off the car) for a return line and a temp sending unit. The hard part was fabbing up the bracketry for the pump and heat exchanger/fan. :(

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
Drilling and tapping the bottom of the case wasn't that big of a deal. I did it in the car. Then drilled and tapped the OEM cover (off the car) for a return line and a temp sending unit. The hard part was fabbing up the bracketry for the pump and heat exchanger/fan. :(
I agree that's why I'm wondering if this cover would improve cooling, would it even really be that much easier to install than a cooler setup. I personally don't really think so but it definitely would be cheaper which for a lot of people could be a nice alternative. I will be sticking to a cooling system myself though FWIW.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Spintech of all people makes an awesome set of stepped FLSFCS I have them on my red 99 OT car and love them.

.5 pint Not worth it, do it right and install a cooler.
.5 qt might make the cover worthwhile.

Last edited:

BlackStripes

Established Member
Spintech of all people makes an awesome set of stepped FLSFCS I have them on my red 99 OT car and love them.

.5 pint Not worth it, do it right and install a cooler.
.5 qt might make the cover worthwhile.

hmm... I know that the diff in my ex straigth axle had a little more than 2qts capacity, whats the capacity of the IRS? 1/2 pint doesn't look as bad, probably is around 15%-18% increase.

I have custom FLSFC's and custom 3" side exhaust, you are not gonna do this with off the shelve parts.

sleepless

Established Member

sleepless

Established Member
:dw:Umm, heat is radiation...

Well, no. But, the point is that black absorbs light from the sun and the process of this absorption, it converts the light energy to heat.

A black metal pipe does not absorb ambient heat any more than a white pipe.

Do this experiment. Take a blow torch to a white and black pipe. They will both be the same temp.

Point is, you can paint car parts that are not exposed to the sun any color you like. You seemed to be concerned about this in a previous post; you don't need to be.

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
Well, no. But, the point is that black absorbs light from the sun and the process of this absorption, it converts the light energy to heat.

A black metal pipe does not absorb ambient heat any more than a white pipe.

Do this experiment. Take a blow torch to a white and black pipe. They will both be the same temp.

Point is, you can paint car parts that are not exposed to the sun any color you like. You seemed to be concerned about this in a previous post; you don't need to be.

Actually yes heat is a radiant form of energy, so is sunlight. And more than just light affects the color black, infrared sources are one example.

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
Just adding to the discussion...

Last year I was at Mont Tremblant, and clearly was overheating things back there.. The diff was puking oil out the vent.....so much so that I was black flagged for smoke. The exhaust was cooking the oil as it dripped onto the pipes. This year.....for the hell of it and since I was already under there swapping a T2R in, I wrapped the pipes with header jackets. I have about 2500 or so track miles this season give or take, and there has been no oil puked out the vent. The level remains right at the fill hole. The oil did seem like it was wearing longer, but I have no data besides how it looked/smelled to determine that validity.

BlackStripes

Established Member
Interesting, i wonder if the T2R survives better under heat, or is the actual exhaust the one that causes more problems than anything else.

As i said before, i haven't had a problem yet, i have side exhaust and a T2.

What does the Cobra R has for diff?

Users who are viewing this thread