IRS or Live Axle?

Mustanganatic

FOG
Established Member
I'm looking for opinions on an '04 IRS. I've got an '03 body-in-white that'll used for open track events... someday. I found a stock IRS at an area speed shop for $1000 with around 10,000 miles on it. If I could get some people's thoughts on this price and it's performance on the track it would be most helpful... thanks!

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Mike:

$1,000.00 for an '03/'04 IRS is the going rate. IMHO, the IRS is an improvement over the stick axle. Can you make a stick axle better than it was from the factory? Absolutely! Can you improve the IRS from stock form, absolutely.

If your car is a dedicated track car you might want to check out some Delrin/UHMW/Aluminum bushings for the IRS before you install it?

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160766

Good Luck!

:thumbsup: :coolman: :beer:

Last edited:

Roger Davis

RSD
Established Member
If it's a racecar stick with the solid rear. Thousands of racecars run the solid rear as it is a proven performer. The IRS might give a smoother ride on the street but you said you were building an open tracker.
If you are real serious about racing go for a 9" full floater rear.

RD

Mustanganatic

FOG
Established Member
Bruce, Roger, thanks for the advice. I've been checking alot of forums, mainly concerned over the durability of the IRS. From what I've gathered, it'll take the amount of abuse that I would be giving it, as long as it hasn't been really beat up already. A well set-up live axle probably would be the way to go, but I'll have to see how much $$$ it'll take to get it there. I'm thinking that for $1000 I've got a half way decent set up.

Cobra-R

Established Member
If I was building a car, hands down it would be a IRS car. I have driven/owned many IRS cars, both stock and modified as well as both full MM and Griggs solid axle cars. I think the IRS is more economical, gives better braking, and is just as good if not better handling on all types of tracks that I have driven them on.

Brian

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Mike:

I don't think you'll regret going from a stick axle to an IRS? I really like the IRS, compromises and all. Yes, it's a little heavier but worth it IMHO.

There are many things you can do to improve the IRS. Including but not limited to coil-overs, bumpsteer, and bushings.

The IRS is a more efficient unit and will make up for some deficiencies in the driver and car.

YMMV

Mustanganatic

FOG
Established Member
Bruce,
The shocks are the only thing I don't get between the driveshaft and the wheels, I'll add coilovers on my "to-get" list. I'll need all the help I can get to overcome driver deficiencies :-D

Users who are viewing this thread