IRS Diff. Brace question

marcoc

Established Member
I am looking to do the IRS brace on my 99 Cobra. Can this be installed while the IRS assembly is attached to the frame? Do I need to Drop the IRS to install a brace? I have the IRS out of the car now, my diff is getting rebuilt, I am replacing all bushings, and installing an OR H-pipe. My budget is pretty much spent so another $130-160 right now is difficult. wondering if I could just install it in the Spring without dropping IRS out.:shrug:

OW99

Established Member
I've never done it with the IRS in the car but I assume it's possible. Even if you can't you can take the cat back off and lower the rear of the IRS within 20 minutes.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
if there is any way you could swing for a cover, now would be the time to do it. covers have some added benefits over a brace, but one of the only drawbacks is you usually have to drop the diff to install it.

but the answer to your question is yes, you can install a brace very easily while the entire irs is in the car and all back together

best of luck with it! :beer:

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
if there is any way you could swing for a cover, now would be the time to do it. covers have some added benefits over a brace, but one of the only drawbacks is you usually have to drop the diff to install it.

but the answer to your question is yes, you can install a brace very easily while the entire irs is in the car and all back together

best of luck with it! :beer:

+1. You'll probably only spend $75 or so more for a good cover vs the diff brace. The main advantage of the cover is a drain plug.

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
I seem to remember trying to install the brace when I had the diff in and I couldn't get it to work. I got frustrated and just dropped it. Not saying that it is not possible though.

marcoc

Established Member
well considering i have to drain the break in diff lube after the break in period maybe i can install a cover then. looks like the brace can be done but dropping irs is probably less stressful. gotta see what i am going to do. thanks guys.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I installed the Billetflow brace in my car without dropping the IRS. I think I pulled the cat back off to do it though. It's been a few years.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
i have both and you can't go wrong with either imo. they are both excellent and slightly different in their own way. but if i were to buy another, it would probably be the frpp first.

edit: i never tried the fore piece, i think they don't make them anymore

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread