IRS Bushing Install.......

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
There's only two reasons why any of you should do this install......

1) You just absolutely love working on your Cobra, no matter what the job,

and/or

2) You're so broke you can't afford to pay someone to do it for you.......

It's really not that bad, but time consuming and when you're done you're thinking: "Why did I just go to all that trouble for a modification with a very small performance improvement value???" But, when in conjunction with other rear suspension mods, it can assist in combating wheel hop so I decided to do it. And heck, they're only $50 and are on Postban's famous "Red Pill" list....... :rolling:

Anyway, took 4.5 hours to prepare the car, drill out old bushings, and install new ones, and another 2.5 hours to line up and re-attach the IRS and get the car back on the ground. I could probably do the whole thing in two less hours if I did it again........but isn't this always true when doing a mod for the first time????

Getting the old bushings out is not as hard as a lot of folks say and you can do it effectively by either totally drilling them out or using MM's special tool. (Thanks to Jason (TV) for letting me use his removal tool......). I tried it both ways and takes about the same time.

My biggest problem was getting the IRS back up in the car.......Can be a real bear getting it to line up to get the IRS bolts through the bushing sleeves. The trick here is to re-install the FRONT two IRS attachments first and then the REAR. Of course, I did it the other way around first and couldn't get the front in........ Ohhhhh, that cost me about 1.5 hours......

And, this is not one of those jobs where having a lift makes all the difference. A lot of the fellas prefer doing it on jackstands and 99% of the work is done from the side of the car, not under it. But, if a lift is available, I wouldn't turn it down either......

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

sounds good dwight. I need that tool back as I will be tearing mine down starting this weekend. you are more than welcome to come on over and help. Sunday is when I will probably do most of it.

Dave(predator) whats your schedule? :-D

blk04cobra1

1000rwhp coming soon
Established Member
now you know why we would charge $350 to them...they seem very easy til you have to line the IRS back up...congrats on doing it yourself though.

predator

Established Member
TRBO VNM said:
sounds good dwight. I need that tool back as I will be tearing mine down starting this weekend. you are more than welcome to come on over and help. Sunday is when I will probably do most of it.

Dave(predator) whats your schedule? :-D

Let me check and I will get back to you..... :thumbsup:

booricua

A JODER
Established Member
congrats on having it done after reading this and I knew it was not a picnic It definately reassures me what an excelent job at very low cost Billy did for me as he did the IRS , diff aluminum mount, CC plates and an alignment for under the advertised cost here That Wiseguy is the SHYYYTTTT

IronTerp

Yeah, I'll tell ya......It ain't going to take "The Wiseguy" 7 hours to do this!!!!!!! I watched him do Scott's the other day and he went through them like Grant went through Richmond........

RAWSN8K

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc
Established Member
I will be doing mine as soon as I get back in town but I have my IRS out of the car so it should be a little easier. In addition, I am upgrading to 4.10's....need a little more out of the hole punch.

IronTerp

mixxer said:
terp do you notice a difference with wheel hop?
I still have the car up on jackstands.........I'm going to remove the paint that covers the chrome on the inside part of the OEM Cobra rims while they're off the car. And I'm going to clean up the entire rear undercarriage. Can't believe how much rubber is still under there!

Blk03SVTCobra

Established Member
TRBO VNM said:
huh? :shrug: you are joking right?

read the 2 posts above yours Sean. :poke:

For the record, between the time I clicked reply and the time I hit submit, both Dwight's and Kent's posts appeared. I had brought it up, typed in the reply and then got distracted before hitting reply...

IronTerp

Blk03SVTCobra said:
For the record, between the time I clicked reply and the time I hit submit, both Dwight's and Kent's posts appeared. I had brought it up, typed in the reply and then got distracted before hitting reply...
Hey Jason, quit picking on Sean!!! :bash:

Sean, to be honest, I really doubt they'll have a huge effect on wheel hop and are only really a part of a group of mods that help. But, when I throw those MT street radials on there, I think the wheel hop situation will be much improved!

RedfireBeast

MACA Member #29
Established Member
the biggest thing that helped wheel hop in my car was going to 18" wheels go figure......the nitto drag rads were a waste of money they suck...work good on a pulley only car...also QA-1 rear shocks help a lot. The bushings are just something that needs to be done even if your car is stock.

predator

Established Member
RedfireBeast said:
the biggest thing that helped wheel hop in my car was going to 18" wheels go figure......the nitto drag rads were a waste of money they suck...work good on a pulley only car...also QA-1 rear shocks help a lot. The bushings are just something that needs to be done even if your car is stock.

Bushings are a great upgrade! When you think about all the rubber connections in the IRS holding everything together it is amazing how people like JR and others manage to get the 60' times they do. I have watched a lot of high horsepower Cobras come off the line and the first thing that happens is that the rear squats.....everything flexes....and then it takes off. A lot of forward energy being wasted in the process. If you are an autox/RR/OT type then the problem is even worse. Our cars perform great for factory machines. With a few upgrades like bushings it makes them even more enjoyable.

TRBO VNM

predator said:
Bushings are a great upgrade! When you think about all the rubber connections in the IRS holding everything together it is amazing how people like JR and others manage to get the 60' times they do. I have watched a lot of high horsepower Cobras come off the line and the first thing that happens is that the rear squats.....everything flexes....and then it takes off. A lot of forward energy being wasted in the process. If you are an autox/RR/OT type then the problem is even worse. Our cars perform great for factory machines. With a few upgrades like bushings it makes them even more enjoyable.

yeah, I think that is why it has taken me so long to do it. I have pulled good short times and haven't had any IRS problems, except for the leak. So its one of those things, if it ain't broke.....

Users who are viewing this thread