IRS built for a 700++ rwhp COBRA ! ! HELP

KB04Cobra

You're STILL gonna LOSE
Established Member
Im planning on building my IRS for my 04 Cobra . . . when i drop the IRS i want to do everything at once. I wanted to hear some feed back from some ppl who built theirs and what combos they used, which products work well together. I wanna minimize the fabrication, and rigging that comes along with parts in the aftermarket world. What combos of spring and shock don't have clearance problems and handle the best. What brand halfshafts are ppl running in 9sec 1/4 cars? I kno im gonna have too deal out some $$$$ to build this thing up, but i want to avoid the "trial/error" part because that gets real expensive. What control arms are handling best on the track and strip? Which bushings are riding the best? I'd like to lighten up the rearw/o swapping to a solid axle. Who offers the best subframe equipment? Any pointers would be helpful, if theres any problems anybody else has run into please let me know. I;ve got Hoosier dr 335/35/r17 in the rear now and i want them to work so please HELP!
Thanks
Scott

03cobrarocks

Established Member
JB said:
BILLETFLOW IRS DIFFERENTIAL COVER BRACE

what he said times a million.....

plus you might want to look at maximum motorsports kits... pricey but if you are going to have the rear out anyway might as well look into it...

also subframe connectors are a must... I know that isnt part of the rear but you know...

I think billetflow makes 1 or 2 other great products for the irs to...

KB04Cobra

You're STILL gonna LOSE
Established Member
Luckly i live in south florida, so i can go to steeda or UPR for equipment, I'll give MM a call and see what they say about the buildup, What halfshaft is evey1 going w/? Has any1 had to fabricate or rigg any parts from MM inorder for them to work? Thanks

FOURCED

3 honks and I own you
Established Member
KB04Cobra said:
Luckly i live in south florida, so i can go to steeda or UPR for equipment, I'll give MM a call and see what they say about the buildup, What halfshaft is evey1 going w/? Has any1 had to fabricate or rigg any parts from MM inorder for them to work? Thanks

There isn't any "fabricating" whatsoever when using the MM products for the IRS. All of it is basically a straight bolt-in affair. When doing the Delrin upper/lower control arm bushings you do have to straighten the mounting tabs, and cut the washers out on the lower control arm mounts. I wouldn't call that fabricating myself... but to each his own I suppose.

I basically have everything in my rear-end that you'd need for that kind of horsepower... but trust me it ain't cheap. You'll need a set of Level 5 halfshafts... you MIGHT be able to get away with the Level 2's but a halfshaft upgrade is something you'll need if you track the car a lot. I also run a Detroit Locker in the IRS center section as I gernaded the stock trac-lok and would have probably broke another stocker had I gone back to one.

Parts List:

Drive Shaft Shop Level 5 halfshafts
Detroit Locker with 3.73 gear
Maximum Motorsports urethane subframe bushings
Maximum Motorsports aluminum differential mount bushings
Maximum Motorsports Delrin upper/lower control arm bushings
Maximum Motorsports adjustable rear tie-rod ends
Billetflow IRS brace
QA1 Proma Star rear shocks/QA1 coil-overs

I still need to get the Mathis brackets from Doug for the rear... that's the last thing to do to the rear and the ONLY thing left ;-)

Hope this helps,

Shannon

KB04Cobra

You're STILL gonna LOSE
Established Member
thanks for the help Shannon i appreciate it. . . how do you like your coilovers? im deciding on h&r race springs or coilover setup.

FOURCED

3 honks and I own you
Established Member
KB04Cobra said:
thanks for the help Shannon i appreciate it. . . how do you like your coilovers? im deciding on h&r race springs or coilover setup.

Well... I can't really answer your question at this moment in time as I have yet to drive the car since the coil-overs came and have been installed. I've had my car apart for the last six months or so due to clutch/transmission woes and then I pulled the rear-end out of it to do the upper/lower control arm bushings for the rear. I'm hoping to have it back together by next week sometime and then it needs to be inspected and aligned before I put any serious street miles on it.

I got the skinny about the QA1 coil-overs from another member on here... he runs them on his coupe and has cut some hellacious 60 foot times with the coil-overs WITH the IRS. His best 60 to date thusfar is a 1.44 and has went 10 oh's with a 2.3L Whipple and a 50 dry shot of nitrous. I had to be different than him (and everybody else) and like my car to handle well as well as hook hard... so I have two different sets of coil-over springs to run depending on how I want to drive the car.

I'll give you some more info in the next couple weeks after I get to drive the car some :)

Shannon

KB04Cobra

You're STILL gonna LOSE
Established Member
sambandit said:
All you need is a IRS brace, and level 5 halfshafts. I also did new gears and a Truetrac, but neither are neccesary.
hey sambandit, on what engine setup did you make those hp/tq #'s?

alrothel

Banned
Hey KB04... I read you are in South Florida. Recently moved here myself. Where are you getting your car tuned / dyno. You mentioned Steeda. Any recomondations
Al

KB04Cobra

You're STILL gonna LOSE
Established Member
alrothel said:
Hey KB04... I read you are in South Florida. Recently moved here myself. Where are you getting your car tuned / dyno. You mentioned Steeda. Any recomondations
Al
Scott at Diablosport is doing all my tunning, were finishing up the nitrous tomarrow. The shop is a couple blocks from my house in delray beach.

Users who are viewing this thread