irs brace

palehorse

Established Member
I know wrong forum ,but most of you are over here and I am looking for a quick response. I cannot get the front differential bolts out to save my ass. I have impact and breaker bar and no luck. What is the deal? any suggestions? and how about those nuts at the top of the bolt? when the bottoms finally break free, will they spin? how the hell you get a wrench in there?

Any suggestions?

Jgruggs

Established Member
Can't remember who it was , but not too long ago someone had posted some real good structions with pics and all. Maybe do a search and see if you can find it. Good luck

racebronco2

Established Member
the nuts on top are 18mm and will spin as soon as the bottom 15mm bolts break loose. when i first took mine out i don't remember them being tight enough that you could not break them loose with a breaker bar. for the top nuts i just used a boixed 18mm craftsman wrench. i usually have the cat-back removed so it does give alot more clearance.

N S

Wants to go faster
Established Member
I hit the bottom 15mm(?) bolts with an impact wrench to loosen them and then used a regular socket wrench (bottom) and an open ended 18mm wrench (top) to get them the rest of the way out.

Cliff notes: Impact wrench

palehorse

Established Member
Thanks for the replies, I did finally did get it on (longer post in the proper forum) but the long and short of it is I never did get them off, so I just did it with the front attached. I pushed the differential up about 1/2 inch and could get bolt 3 in. I assume Billetflow instructions say to remove them so you don't flex the mounting flanges in case they crack or break. If I am wrong and there some other reason that should concern me about the install someone let me know.

Thanks for the replies.

jershelb

Established Member
Broke mine loose fairly easy after i let is soak for a couple of hours and hit it with a longer handled wratchet. Howver, upon completing the install I was unable to maneuver a socket or wrench in to tighten down the dif. bolt closest to the dif. drain plug... It hasnt been leaking, so I hope it holds up ok until i have a chance to drop the dif and get it tightened down... :eek:

dragon40k

Established Member
I didn't need to take mine out. Though as palehorse said there maybe a reason that you're supposed to take them out. I havn't noticed any ill effect though and I drove her pretty hard today.

Users who are viewing this thread