Irs Bent?? Help Please!

mymustang44

Cammed What??
Established Member
My suspnsion is off on that side and I'm having a lot of trouble figureing out what I bent/broke to cause it to be off.

Does anyone know any common problems I should be looking for? I'm open to any suggestions cause this is all that's keeping me from driving it now.

Last edited:

SVECobraR

Established Member
The knuckle and cross axis joints are the first to get damaged.

I have a spare striped IRS, sans knuckles, that you can have for cheap if you'd like. Given you figure out whats needed.

71catruck

Established Member
I slide mine over a curb sideways a few years back and the knuckle got a little bent. Had a ton of positive camber and toed in. Just needed an alignment I'm still running the knuckle

mymustang44

Cammed What??
Established Member
Here's 2 pics of what's wrong. I squared the planks off with the wheels so you can see how the suspension's off.

The left side aligns with the front. And the right side doesn't.

20110226154757.jpg

20110226154811.jpg

olgreydog7

Jaded
Established Member
The stock tie rods are made weak so that they break first. I did the same thing but hit a curb trying to do a j turn before I could actually drive. Jack it up and look under there and you should be able to see what the problem is.

mymustang44

Cammed What??
Established Member
Jacked it up and took both wheels off today and still nothing that strikes me as obviously bent, but I adjusted the tie rod in and got it to where I could drive it without it pulling me into a ditch, so I'm just gonna take it to get a full alignment and have em replace anything if they find something wrong. Thanks for the help.

kmyers

Established Member
I am having a similar issue with my car. I just bought the car and I must admit I did not notice this when I bought it since the car didnt run and was the trunk was close to the garage of the house. Long story short I just put a full maximum motorsports IRS race bushing kit in it and when I reinstalled the IRS my passenger wheel sits inside the fender 1" as opposed to the driver side which is flush with the fender.

th_IMG_7055_zpsf76d06f6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

th_IMG_7056_zpsc6a7b755.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

As you can see the driver side tire is flush but the passenger wheel is recessed inside the fender 1" . I will take measurements when I get home from the wheel to the top IRS bolt and see if they are the same. At a glance this morning they looked to be similar.

When I did take the IRS apart one tie rod was bend pretty bad but I replaced it so it is hard for me to image the actual IRS cradle is bent. Any help is appreciated.

Last edited:

71catruck

Established Member
Those aren't good enough pics to really tell you anything sorry. But if you had everything apart to do the bushings you probably just need an alignment. The top a-arm to knuckle bolt is your camber adjustment.

kmyers

Established Member
71catruck...the passenger wheel sits inside the fender about 1" as opposed to the driver which is flush with the fender lip. I will get it off the stands tonight and see how it sits.

SOVACobra03...if i need the knuckles I will let you know asap!

I'll look into all these issues when I get home.

01yellercobra

Established Member
Your passenger tire looks like it has some serious negative camber. That'll make it seem like the tire is sunk in.

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
Your tires are in full droop so it's really hard to say what's going on. Take another look at it when it's sitting on the suspension. It's pretty typical to have different gaps between the tire and fender lip because of the loose factory tolerances of all the components. But an alignment should tell you what's happening with it.

FWIW

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

Charlington

Established Member
If the rear tie rod was bent (backed into something) wouldn't that make the wheel toe out?

Edit: also make sure the Camber Bolt is not loose or someone put the Camber Bolt in backwards (from the wrong direction) I noticed mine because the stain from where it was previously run.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread