Iridium plugs and e85?

xXSVTmonsterXx

SVTP Monster
Established Member
I've read some scary things about running iridium plugs with e85.
Any truth to this?

I've got a 360+ci modular with big cams custom intake and e85 only..
Its 12:1 compression with peak power at 7500-8k rpms.

I have new tr6ix but I'm worried about running them for the tune now. The engine is being installed this week.

What plugs should I run? ?
Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
There is no reason to run those high dollar iridiums....that are really exposed with minimal material. You will be just fine running the $2 ngk BR7EFs.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
well, after rereading your original post I'm guessing now it's naturally aspirated? I just assumed it was a terminator it was probably boosted lol...but maybe not being 12/1. a 7 range plug might be too cold

Boss 327

All Motor
Established Member
I've read some scary things about running iridium plugs with e85.
Any truth to this?

I've got a 360+ci modular with big cams custom intake and e85 only..
Its 12:1 compression with peak power at 7500-8k rpms.

I have new tr6ix but I'm worried about running them for the tune now. The engine is being installed this week.

What plugs should I run? ?

Off topic but are you still running the stock computer?

xXSVTmonsterXx

SVTP Monster
Established Member
N/a and will be running stock computer with msd mod 6 to handle the rpms/ignition.

It will see boost down the road but for now I want to see what it will do n/a. I'm sure 500+rwhp is attainable with my setup so the plug should handle that for now.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
I suggest TR6's.

Believe it or not I have now have been seeing some better results in boosted applications with the TR6's as well.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I suggest TR6's.

Believe it or not I have now have been seeing some better results in boosted applications with the TR6's as well.

interesting, I thought you had most always advocated the BR7EFs for a boosted car. What changed your mind? Should I switch this car to TR6s? Certainly runs and idles awesome currently....but I'd love to squeeze out every last ounce of safe performance if i can!

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
interesting, I thought you had most always advocated the BR7EFs for a boosted car. What changed your mind? Should I switch this car to TR6s? Certainly runs and idles awesome currently....but I'd love to squeeze out every last ounce of safe performance if i can!
I have always run the BR7's just to be extra cautious, but I have not run into any issues with the TR6's and detonation. They have also been making slightly more HP in most applications. I say go for it.

Anyone have an idea of how to gap the tr6 for my setup?

What is stock for your N/A application?

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
I have always run the BR7's just to be extra cautious, but I have not run into any issues with the TR6's and detonation. They have also been making slightly more HP in most applications. I say go for it.

cool, i picked a set up this afternoon. they all looked gapped .035 out of box...I moved them down to .028, which I think was the out of box gap on the br7efs. I'll probably put them in tomorrow morning...we'll see what happens :D

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
cool, i picked a set up this afternoon. they all looked gapped .035 out of box...I moved them down to .028, which I think was the out of box gap on the br7efs. I'll probably put them in tomorrow morning...we'll see what happens :D
I would go .026

65fastback2+2

Established Member
the tr6 has a extended plug tip vs. the brf7e's.

i ran tr6's on a 2v with e85, 17psi and 21* of timing and it ran superb.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Anyone recommend a gap for my setup N/A?

Total guestimate...but I checked a factory 9.85/1 comp '01 NA cobra gap and it's .052 to .056. Considering you're at 12/1...You might start at .050 with the tr6s and see how it runs, then adjust from there. Upper rpm blowout...maybe tighten a bit. If not, maybe widen a bit.

xXSVTmonsterXx

SVTP Monster
Established Member
Total guestimate...but I checked a factory 9.85/1 comp '01 NA cobra gap and it's .052 to .056. Considering you're at 12/1...You might start at .050 with the tr6s and see how it runs, then adjust from there. Upper rpm blowout...maybe tighten a bit. If not, maybe widen a bit.

Even with everything done to the car?
Again 8K rpm, 360+ cubic inches (big bore 5.4), race ported GT supercar heads, Big custom cams for a 360+ci engine, custom intake, big primary long tubes, full 3" exhaust, msd mod 6 to handle high rpm with the stock ecu..

Again it should do 500rwhp easy, probably more! I'd think the gap would be similar to a power adder car, no? I don't know anything about plugs, etc so I have no clue. I just know E85 is sensitive as hell to preignition so I don't want any issues as I have A LOT of money tied up in my build. :beer:

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
well...then who built the engine or gave you advice on this combo if this is your build? it's a pretty unique and radical sounding NA build you don't want to make a mistake with. I'd contact them for a starting point

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Kevin, is this right? I got the first br7ef out, got ready to put in the tr6 and decided to compare. The tr6 looks like more threads and the tip extends further? The tr6 part # I picked up is 4177

IMG_0912.JPG

xXSVTmonsterXx

SVTP Monster
Established Member
c6z, that was a brilliant suggestion! I am an idiot for not contacting MMR sooner, as they built the engine :idea:. Spoke to the tech there that worked on my engine and is aware of my specs. He recommended a TR6 gapped at .030. :beer:

04Sleeper you were dead on in your recommendation for the gap! :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread