Ipods in mustang

JohnsMyName

Established Member
Ok I did a search and learned alot, but still want your opinions. I want to be able to liten to my ipod in my car without the fm transmitter noise. So my options are buy a new deck thats ipod ready or get an RF modulator. I also want to run all the wires under the center console to give it a clean look. So has anyone done this? Any pictures?

Rocsfinest97

Domestics > Imports
Established Member
I will be doing this soon with an Alpine Ida-x001. They are run just like a regular head unit, but they have an extra wire that you can lead to whereever you so desire. I myself, have an extra "pocket" under my head unit as a side result of the previous owner deleting the original head unit's space. (see me car domain if that was too confusing.. I tried haha)

But yeah, with an FM transmitter, you'll most likely always get engine static. Most I have seen are horrible, and the ones that do work that I have experience with, have mediocre sound quality. Very similar to the quality of streamed media on the internet -- lacking deep punching bass and high end clarity.

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
I use an alpine or panasonic headunit and the cable's come thru a whole in the side of the felt pocket inside the center console... FM transmitters blow

ArkansasMystic

Established Member
I have an Alpine head unit (one of the best for iPods) with the cable as mentioned above. I too have the pocket below the head unit, so I just have my cable running through there. Mine isn't the cleanest option, and I am really considering moving it to the console pocket so it cant be seen. Here are some pics (they aren't the best, but some I had taken while doing my console swap, and yes I know the console is colored different, that was before I polished it, and it does match now).
AfterConsoleSwap1.jpg

B4ConsoleSwap7.jpg

SVTStrikesBack

Last One Standing
Established Member
I have a head unit very simialr to the one Mystic 1219 has, but I run the Ipod cable under the center console and into the armrest console. The operation of the Ipod through the head unit does not take much longer than normaly accessing a song on the Ipod itself, it just goes about it differently.

If you want me to run through it with you I will, but once you actualy enter the song you want, it only takes about 1 second to retrive it.

ArkansasMystic

Established Member
Yep, the Alpine's are very easy to use to control the iPod. I had a Kenwood in my last vehicle and it was complicated and didn't work half the time. My car was setup as is when I bought it. With the new console, all I have to do is run the wire, no holes to cut, so I plan on moving it to inside the armrest pocket so it cannot be seen.

SVTStrikesBack

Last One Standing
Established Member
I went ahead and cut a hole at the bottom of the console box so the wire never got pinched. I think the Kenwood's are getting better too as I believe they are changing their connector to something high speed like the Alpine's have. Either way, I liked the way the Alpine looked better, and at the time, all the reviews were way better for the Alpine than anyone else's units.

JohnsMyName

Established Member
Is it a certain Alpine model or is it any that is ipod ready? Also does it come with the ipod wire and if so is it long enough to reach the armrest?

Rocsfinest97

Domestics > Imports
Established Member
Is it a certain Alpine model or is it any that is ipod ready? Also does it come with the ipod wire and if so is it long enough to reach the armrest?

Theres two decks, one is only an ipod/radio/bluetooth, and the other is ipod/radio/CD/bluetooth. The latter is not as fancy.

I have the deck 5 Liter has, that is the one that doesnt play CD's but the wheel and screen work identical to the Ipods screen and menu layout. Its really nice.

ArkansasMystic

Established Member
The cable is separate, and the one I have is 6.5 ft. I use crutchfield for all my info, great site and helpful staff, I suggest checking them out for info.

Rocsfinest97

Domestics > Imports
Established Member
The cable is separate, and the one I have is 6.5 ft. I use crutchfield for all my info, great site and helpful staff, I suggest checking them out for info.

Funny, I called crutchfield concerning a few items and I got a redneck who was dumb as a box of rocks.

SVTStrikesBack

Last One Standing
Established Member
Funny, I called crutchfield concerning a few items and I got a redneck who was dumb as a box of rocks.

It happens. I was having a problem getting my head unit to work with the Mach 460 as I thought I was hooking everything up correctly, but still was getting some strange stuff happening thought the speakers. Anyhow, after getting another adapter wire and it not working, I was tranfserred to someone that hapened to have the same thing go wrong with his. As it turns out, there is a known problem with teh adapters they sell bendingin a way that some of the pins don't make contact, even though the connectors still seem to go together correctly.

It just seems that not EVERYONE there knows about it, I just had to stay on them about it. Other than that little problem, they have great service, their shipping is quick, and they package their products very well. Also, there are SEVERAL decks they sell for our cars, so it's just a matter of the features you want. I think almost all of them are compatible with the Ipod now, but it doesn't hurt to double check.

ArkansasMystic

Established Member
I have had experience with several places where the products were cheaper, but service was horrible. I have had good luck with them and prices aren't that bad. No they aren't the cheapest, but you get decent service.

JohnsMyName

Established Member
So I have been researching and the IDA-X100 looks like the deck to get. Do you guys know if everything needed comes with it from Crutchfeild? I have installed decks before but not on the Mach 460 with the internal amps. With the correct wiring harness is it just as easy?

mystic1219

Established Member
Im mystic_1219s brother and I installed the alpine when I had the car. The alpine is a GREAT Way to go. The head unit was $180 or $200 I think, and the Ipod cable was another $25. If I had it to do over, I would have ran the cable to the console so it was completely out of sight, but the alpine is great for controling the Ipod and sound quality is as good as it gets (better than listening to a CD). I think the alpine is the 9856 or somthing for that model.

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
If you give me part numbers on what you are looking at I can tell you what you will need.. The x100 is kinda goofy to use and can't play cd's.. The 9856 is a good all around deck..Either way, the ipod cable is 25-30 dollars and is plenty long to reach from the deck to either the glovebox, or center console.. The velvet pocket is really easy to remove and I just use a unibit and drill a large slotted hole about an inch up in the side of teh pocket.. That way you can still have things in the bottom that won't fall thru your pocket.. Out of all the brands, Alpines pretty much have the best ipod/mp3 navigation..

Helomech74

Established Member
Which adapter are you guys using to adapt the aftermarket head units to the Mach460 stuff besides the shitty one that Crutchfield sells?

Users who are viewing this thread