iPhone screen smashed, what to do?

7.62x51

Established Member
Wife dropped her iPhone 4S after dinner last night, and shattered the front screen. Phone still works OK though.

I've seen some repair kits online, but we do have warranty on the phone - but it's $99 for a warranty replacement.

You guys think I should just go the warranty route? Not sure if there is a better option...

Thanks

BANDIT HPT

Established Member
I used one of those $99 screen repaire sites a few years ago on my iPod touch. They didn't used the same screen material. They used some kind of plastic instead of glass. It worked for awhile but it developed dead areas on the screen. It got so bad I had trouble unlocking the screen.

Blown2v5.0

Established Member
If anybody other than apple repairs an iphone that's under warranty. It will void the apple warranty and I believe your service warranty provided by your carrier.

Sent From a galaxy far far away

7.62x51

Established Member
I used one of those $99 screen repaire sites a few years ago on my iPod touch. They didn't used the same screen material. They used some kind of plastic instead of glass. It worked for awhile but it developed dead areas on the screen. It got so bad I had trouble unlocking the screen.

Yea, it's $99 to replace the phone through Apple anyways.

If anybody other than apple repairs an iphone that's under warranty. It will void the apple warranty and I believe your service warranty provided by your carrier.

Sent From a galaxy far far away

Called the Apple store up north in Carlsbad, they quoted $229 to repair it. May just go with the warranty option.

Thanks,

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
do more research. Cant you replace just the glass on the iphones for like $20 yourself?

I don't recall if the glass+digitizer are integrated.

7.62x51

Established Member
do more research. Cant you replace just the glass on the iphones for like $20 yourself?

Thanks man. I just found this video online:

How To: Replace iPhone 4S Screen | DirectFix.com - YouTube

Yea, looks like the glass itself is only $30 or so (I didn't realize it was only the glass that needed to be replaced). I may just give it a shot, and if all else fails just warranty replace it.

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
I don't know if it's the glass used on iPhones, or just the larger glass size, but almost everyone of my friends has a cracked or shattered screen.

My work Blackberry has been dropped and abused for years and it doesn't even have a scratch on it. :shrug:

wieduwilt

"30 clips in a mag"
Established Member

They aren't. You can separate the glass from the LCD and the digitizer but it's a pain. If you've never done it before just be careful. It can be done though - I do it all the time for people.

deadpres

everyday is caturday
Established Member
I claimed($100) a broken screen on an old school EVO about 2 yrs ago and the company sent me a phone that was obviously used and abused. Plus, they don't send a battery as you have to use your old one.

+1 on a lost/stolen phone if it's $100 or less

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
Around here there are quite a few places that will replace the glass in minutes. I think my dad paid 50 bucks to have his done while he stood there. Still working great over a year I think.

Sonic 03 Cobra

Yes, that's a 2011
Established Member
If you have AppleCare you get two replacements for $50. The $99 (4s, $129 for the 5) is if you don't have AppleCare. Been there done that.

PSUCOBRA96

Established Member
My biggest gripe about the Iphone is that crappy screen. you can drop it four feet from the ground and it wont break, then you can let if fall a foot and it would shatter.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The Otterbox Defender offers great protection. Or, if you don't like thick cases, buy a gel thin case, and then buy a custom sized holster case (which is what I did for my HTC One) for superior protection if dropped.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
Get it fixed?

My friend smashed her front and back on her 4S. I ordered the parts last week, 40$ to replace it (front/digitizer/back). It takes a bit of time to fix them and you have to be very careful doing it but it's worth it.

I have a friend who buys them off CL cheap and fixes and resells them.

pickup_man06

fast is never fast enough
Established Member
It's a bitch job. Very tedious and very easy to tear up the digitizer cables/lose screws. I just did mine, saved a lot of money! But almost not worth the stress and money saved really.

Users who are viewing this thread