iPhone fell in water...

tdschst

Established Member
Ok so about a half hour ago my iPhone fell into the toilet. It was literally in for a second. I took it out of the case and let it dry, I actually shook some water out of it. It still works just the part you put your ear up to doesn't. I called AT&T and they said that I'm up for an upgrade July 20. I can still talk with it on speakerphone and with they earphones in. Has this happened to anyone? Will the ear part start working again?

THE_STIG

Established Member
Don't talk on the phone when shitting and you can avoid these problems. Pretty sure you are boned. Should have turned the phone off immediately and let it dry for several days, then you might've been ok.

32ValveRom

Don't mess with Teksids
Established Member
A friend of mine did. But that was after dropping it on the ground a few times. He got a replacement and dropped that on the ground too.

dooberGN

Established Member
You should have took the battery out right after it happened then put it in rice. I'm not sure if doing it after you already turned it back on will work.

skidad62

Established Member
th8a489bb31b20e996097d8a31009a.gif

lol couldn't help myself... good luck with your phone

tdschst

Established Member
Phone never actually turned off. Like I said it was only in for a second. I tried turning it off and the little apple symbol came up right away like it was going back on, then it said to connect it to iTunes and it was in recovery mode. Doing that now

dooberGN

Established Member
Phone never actually turned off. Like I said it was only in for a second. I tried turning it off and the little apple symbol came up right away like it was going back on, then it said to connect it to iTunes and it was in recovery mode. Doing that now

Oh ok I thought it died then you turned it back on. It might work, it's worth a shot.

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
...you can't take the battery out of an iPhone..lol

Just turn it off and let it sit in the rice as long as possible...overnight at least.

You'll either be lucky or it'll totally fry. They do better than most phones in water though.

prostkr

Established Member
I sank an air boat a week or 2 ago. Dunked my phone. It never came back to life. This was in brackish salt water... I have had luck in the past soaking the phone in rubbing alcohol to displace the water then giving it an hour in the oven at 150 degrees.

19mustang95

Wants another Mystic
Established Member
Take it to the Apple store. i've had two friends both destroy there phones from water (one fell in a pond while riding his bike, the other washed the phone in a pair of shorts doing laundry) and they both got brand new phones free of charge. I was amazed.

NO-BlkLightning2K

Putin 2016. Yup.
Established Member
well deserved. you have to be one dirty bastard to use you cellphone while on the shitter.

so how did it happen? you try to send a text and wipe your ass at the same time? guess there's not an app for that.

Last edited:

dooberGN

Established Member
...you can't take the battery out of an iPhone..lol

Just turn it off and let it sit in the rice as long as possible...overnight at least.

You'll either be lucky or it'll totally fry. They do better than most phones in water though.

Yes you can.

BriansZ

Established Member
I sank an air boat a week or 2 ago. Dunked my phone. It never came back to life. This was in brackish salt water... I have had luck in the past soaking the phone in rubbing alcohol to displace the water then giving it an hour in the oven at 150 degrees.

I'm glad it worked for you but that isn't the recommended course of action. As others have said, remove the battery (I know this isn't possible on iPhones) and place in a bag of rice. Heating the phone to try to evaporate the water could cause more problems.

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
You need some help, stop drinking before its too late

Sent with My Massive Johnson

wjk

Established Member
Use a blow dryer to dry it off... Make sure you get the blow dryer real close and do it for a good minute or so.

tdschst

Established Member
well deserved. you have to be one dirty bastard to use you cellphone while on the shitter.

so how did it happen? you try to send a text and wipe your ass at the same time? guess there's not an app for that.

I was doing some dishes beforehand and had my headphones on. I had basketball shorts on with no pockets so my phone was sitting on the counter while I was dropping a deuce. When I went to walk out I went to grab it not looking and instead knocked it off the counter into the toilet.

I talked to AT&T and the guy told me to try it and I kept getting error 46. He said that's water damage and to put it in a bag of rice in the fridge. Good thing tho is that he waved me having to wait until July 20 for a iPhone 4. So I'm just debating about it but I might go that route or use an old phone until I can get the iPhone 5

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Take it to the Apple store. i've had two friends both destroy there phones from water (one fell in a pond while riding his bike, the other washed the phone in a pair of shorts doing laundry) and they both got brand new phones free of charge. I was amazed.

They were pretty fortunate to get free replacements. Unless Apple has changed their policy, they don't usually give free replacements for water damage. I believe there is a water detector thingee inside the phone that tells the repair department if the phone has been exposed to water. The last time I was in the Hartford Apple Store there was a mother and daughter there trying to get a free replacement because the device stopped working. The rep checked the device and quickly informed her that it had been exposed to water damage and was not eligible for a free replacement. The mom asked her daughter what really happened to the device and the daughter confessed to dropping it in water. She got a replacement but had to pay for it. Well, actually mom told her daughter that SHE had to pay for it. So from what I know about Apple's replacement policy I'd say your two friends lucked out. Sometimes the Apple Store is liberal with their replacements depending on the circumstances and how you present your case. My daughter dropped coffee on her Mac Book and fried it. She called Apple and was told they couldn't replace it. She went to the Apple Store and they gave her a free replacement. My policy she shouldn't have gotten it, but she did. So Apple can be good to work with. You won't always get what you want, but they're very good about working with you. At least that's my own experience from the iPhones that I used to have. Here is a portion of the iPhone 4 warranty.

"This warranty does not apply: (a) to consumable parts, such as
batteries, or protective coatings designed to diminish over time
unless failure has occurred due to a defect in materials or
workmanship; (b) to cosmetic damage, including but not limited to
scratches, dents, and broken plastic on ports; (c) to damage
caused by use with non-Apple products; (d) to damage caused by
accident, abuse, misuse, liquid contact, fire, earthquake or
other external causes;"

Oh, and be sure if you ever bring in your iPhone for service/replacement like this that you are always cordial. Being demanding doesn't usually get you far. Politeness goes a long way.....usually. :)

Users who are viewing this thread