Introduction and Bolt-On Cobra Jet Intake Install/Dyno

SmokeGreyHatch

Established Member
Hi All,

Just wanted to take a moment and introduce myself. I’ve lurked around here for years, but mainly been deep in the fox body/SN scene (Corral member since 2002). A couple of months ago I pulled the trigger on a 2013 301A M6 Sterling Gray GT. After giving the first couple years of the Coyote production a rest to work out the kinks, I feel like I couldn’t have made a better decision. These are truly remarkable cars. I daily drive this car 6000-8000 miles a month all over the southwest (West TX to LA), and the car has been flawless the past 20k (zero oil consumption, zero MT-82 issues, zero ticks, etc). Although refined, there’s something nostalgic about these cars that brings it back to the mid-90’s fox bolt-on days – on a completely higher level.

I plan to retire the car in three years after 200k or so, but as we all are……what fun is driving something you love……un-modded.  Ultimately this car will be a light HCI/Built Block/Deep 9’s/9K shifted NA car, but main goals for now were simple – smart, reliable N/A power modifications and weight reduction without sacrificing refinement, NVH, and DD creature comforts. I had a HCI/Paxton/Tremec Smoke Gray LX Hatch than ran low 11’s at 122-124 mph and I want this car’s performance to mimic ol’ fox with new car refinement and reliability.

450 rwhp SAE on 91 and 3500 lb w/driver is the goal (E85 and FTW E85 on tap if needed)

Where we are today:

• MGW Shifter – great mod.

• Ford Racing Stainless Clutch Line – Tilton Fluid

• JLT Oil Separator – Might remove and put an EV-289/stock line in. Or just do the Peterson deal.

• Cat Deletes, Borla X-Pipe, Borla OAP, Borla ATAK Mufflers – Best exhaust combo I have ever heard…..countless compliments and it is LOUD

• AED 91 Octane Tuned 391rwhp 389rwtq SAE

What’s in store over the next few weeks:

• Ported Cobra Jet Intake (runner welds smoothed)

o These are currently recalled for those who aren’t aware. I just received mine the day they announced. Under high vacuum (deceleration) the three top bolt bases can break the epoxy on the lower half and separate. My new unit should be here the 1st-2nd week in June.

• SCJ Monoblade Throttle Body

• Custom JLT 110mm 4.25” Intake

o I have researched this until I’m blue in the face. The Ford Racing unit won’t be out until Q3 (or later). They have a picture of the 3D printed tube and AIRAID remaining components in the instructions. The GT500, Dual 65mm, and SCJ all take a 5 inch diameter hose. This is why the 123mm and 5 inch tubing was used on the CJ race car. There appears to be low speed air stability/noise issues with that big of a unit from tuners’ experiences. This is also why Ford Racing is making theirs 105mm just like the Parnelli Jones AIRAID. The problem with using the AIRAID is that it necks down to a 4 inch at the TB opening. Thus this is why I’m pursuing a 2010 GT JLT with a 5 inch to 4.5 inch reducer and t-bolt clamps. Hopefully this will be the best compromise of drivability, power, and cost – not to mention availability. Hope this info helps some folks.

• Ford Racing 47 lb’ers (E85 and FTW E85)

o For those that don’t know FTW requires about 8-10% more fuel than regular E85 due to it’s highly oxygenated state. I’ve personally seen 20 rwhp on top of regular E85 power on an N/A coyote with no other changes. Albeit expensive, it’s nice for occasional Saturday night messing around/drag strip use.

• JPC 1 ¾” long tube headers

o The only header on the market that utilizes a merge spike, great design, and a connection to the factory h-pipe junction. These are dead even with Kooks, more torque than ARH or any 1 7/8”, and the best bang for the buck when you have a shorty X/H already.

• Dynotech D/S – rotational weight savings

• Stiffler’s D/S loop

• 3.90:1 Motive lightened and REM-treated (polished) gears - rotational weight savings

o With the MT82 ratios, stock tire height, and a 122 mph trap we should be right around 7800 in 4th. 28’’ slicks will lower this a touch.

• BMR Radiator Support for Sway Bar

• BMR Poly LCA with Relocation Brackets

• BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar

• Weld 17/15 RTS’s - rotational weight savings

Hope to have this combo dialed in within a month or so with Shaun at AED. I’ll keep this updated as I progress.

Thanks,

-Matt

stangr.jpg

Dyno:

http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/5643/y9ngyqfdzvqixcyoonizmi.mp4

Last edited:

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
That sure is a misleading tittle to the thread. Good luck with your build.

SmokeGreyHatch

Established Member
This thread will be updated as I install and will include dyno results in a few weeks after the first batch of intakes arrive from the Ford Racing recall.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Looks like a solid game plan for the build. Where are you getting the 3.90's lightened and cryo treated?

-Thomas

SmokeGreyHatch

Established Member
Need to talk more with JPC, but likely them. Heard good things about innovators west (harmonic balancer company) also. It's about 6 lbs saved. 12 if I did a spool and axles, but it's a street car. I wanted to focus on rotating weight losses first. D/S (20), gears (6), wheels/tires (80), and eventually Baer SS4+ brakes (30) plus aluminum flywheel/light clutch (12-14). There's 150 lb of rotating weight with lots of easy static weight stuff left (seats, rear seat delete, rear end weights, radiator support, washer fluid, etc).

DTL

Established Member
I'll be curious to see how you drop weight from the car. I've done all the "normal" weight reduction mods and a few not-so-normal. With stock Brembo wheels/tires, driver (195lbs) and 1/2 tank of fuel, my '13 GT weighs 3718lbs.

SCalla1384

Established Member
Very nice man! Could you send a link to the lightend 3.90's?

I think you might be trapping over 122mph. Some full bolt on GT's (stock intake) are trapping ~120mph.

With your weight savings, e85, and CJ intake, I think you'll be closer to mid 120's. just a thought

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Very nice man! Could you send a link to the lightend 3.90's?

I think you might be trapping over 122mph. Some full bolt on GT's (stock intake) are trapping ~120mph.

With your weight savings, e85, and CJ intake, I think you'll be closer to mid 120's. just a thought

Jpc has the REM treated and lightened 3.90's on there site. Its a good part but not for $599. Any other vendor have them also?

-Thomas

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Jpc has the REM treated and lightened 3.90's on there site. Its a good part but not for $599. Any other vendor have them also?

-Thomas

That's about the going rate for polished / lightened gears

when your getting after it, especially n/a, it costs to play

01bluesnake

Established Member

-Thomas

Yes, Call strange direct and ask about there AX lightened series gear. They also do micro polishing and treatment on them and is cheaper than $600 for sure.

SmokeGreyHatch

Established Member
Getting closer!

photo_zps7a54a8b7.jpg

JLT 110mm for 2010 gt fits like a glove including the heat shield. Just need to figure out the PCV. Just a few odds and ends to finish with wiring the TB and it'll be mechanically done. Now if only Shaun would send over a base tune....:D

FIFTY

Established Member
Looks good, can't wait for the results, I would like to know what the drivability will be after its all sound and done, keep us posted!

Users who are viewing this thread