Intermittent harsh vibration followed by loose clunking in driveline - help

twistedneck

Established Member
This one is not easy to diagnose. 2011 GT MT82.

1. First vibration occurred a few years ago. I had just installed some engine parts and i think a rear end gear down to 3.15. All of a sudden while cruising at 80MPH, the car started vibrating like crazy and my steering wheel was even vibrating bad. Pulled over stopped car turned off. Turned it back on everything perfect. I already had a DSS one piece drive shaft at that time but it had to be unbolted and reattached for the new rear end. Note, everything was perfectly in balance. the vibration came out of nowhere.

2. Rear end failed (i thought) it was clunking badly. sounded like debris smacking into something big. can't tell where its coming from. There was no vibration this time, just the loud banging (started out as clicking, moved to banging). Parked car and tried it again, the problem went away but came back very quickly so i got the rear end swapped. It was perfect for a year.

3. Driving at 90+ MPH the wicked vibration came back again! this time it was even more extreme and vibrated the steering wheel even worse (whole car really). I slowed down and limped it home with a horrible clunking sound of almost loose metal parts banging in unison with the rear end turning.

4. Swapped the rear end (drive shaft looked fine). After the swap to an Eaton true track we checked the rear end that was removed. it was perfect and there were NO PROBLEMS at all. Same with the first rear end that i thought failed, there was no issue what so ever with it!

5. Got on the road yesterday to drive home with my new Eaton true track. everything smooth as silk and buttery trans was of course super hard to get in gear until very warm but that's normal for my old mt82. drove 100+ Mph to test vibrations, nothing. Then i decided to give it some gas at the stop light, launched very nice and was pinning my head back then all of a sudden in 1st gear mind you i felt that same vibration through the steering wheel and it was directly related to the wheel spin rpm. i immediately let off the gas and very gingerly drove home. as i drove the clunking and banging got louder and louder until i was driving at 5mph when i got home. put the car on stands. rear wheels spin fine and it rotates easily. the clunking noise is audible but intermittent. its not every rotation and only gets real bad if you go from coast to acceleration. like under any power its LOUD.

Here are two videos you can hear the clunk noise begin after idling for about 20 seconds.

Help!

I don't think its the rear end - the first two swaps were perfect when i took them apart after! Drive shaft and transmission have been there for all of these vibration then noise events. The spec stage 2+ clutch was not installed when the first wicked vibration happened and it was present for the second and later events.

Sorry for the long post. I'm about to buy a new trans. My DSS carbon drive shaft seems OK i guess. hard to tell, the adapter for the rear end is also nice and square.

MG0h3

Established Member
While it's up there go under there with a stethoscope. Start with the tubing to see if its trans or rearend. Is odd that it comes and goes.

Initially I was going to say something in the front end due to the wheel shaking.

Further into the story I was thinking pinion angle. Sure the DS isn't hitting something?

twistedneck

Established Member
MG0h3 and hand-filer thanks for those ideas I did try both items and getting under the car we just could not tell. So I pulled the driveshaft and wham.. destroyed CV joint at the rear interface with the bolt flange. I sent it to DSS and they took a bit of time (2+ weeks to get mine started) but finished the checks quickly and from what I can see they put a brand new CV end on it and re-balanced.

I put the repaired drive shaft back on the car and it drives perfectly under full power or not its quiet and zero vibration. that clanging clanking is gone and was obviously the cv coming apart and it had been for a long time. You should have seen it when i took it out it was ugly. Not sure how a driveshaft CV could be intermittent, but it seems that way. I'll give another update in a couple months to make sure all is still good you never know.

I hope this thread helps someone in the future.

basspro302

Established Member
The cv style drive shafts are prone to intermittent noise and vibrations like that. It gets at the perfect angle and velocity it will vibrate like crazy. I cant count how many i have replaced on jeeps and dodge for vibration/noise issues

Glad you got it fixed

paulyboy928

Established Member
Any issues, OP? My car get a bad vibration an about 100 as well but once I slow down it goes away. I've had it for a while and I think it got maybe a little bit worse after I installed my ford racing DS.

Toplait

Established Member
My DSS has the vibration starts around 70mph. No rattle yet. Its less then a year old. After 80mph it goes away. Thought it was pinion angle related..... No change.

Users who are viewing this thread