Intercooler Pump Gone to Cobra Heaven??

Mr Incredible

Established Member
I searched and believe I have it narrowed down to a bad pump, but I just though I'd ask all you smart guys out there before I go buy another pump.

The problem started when my wife was driving home one day and noticed steam coming out of the passenger side hood vent. I popped the hood and it look like fluid had spewed out of the top of the H/E reservoir cap. I refilled it to the proper level and it happened again the next day. The reservoir gets really bloated when the car is warm an I don't see any fluid movement. Have not made any changes to the car lately.

1. I tried "burping the system", or forcing water through the pump in case it lost it's prime.

2. I checked the 10 amp fuse in the distribution block(#19) and it was fine.

3. If I jumper the pump at the relay with the car off I hear nothing and see no fluid movement.

4. I have turned the car on and let it sit and idle for a few minutes while squeezing the line and blowing air into the reservior see no fluid movement at all.

Is there anything else I'm missing???? It's gotta be the pump right?
Thanks for the help in advance.

SVT10TH#1721

Established Member
On The Pump Crawl under the car Passenger side Front follow the lines coming from the H/E they go to the pump.

Mr Incredible

Established Member
Thanks, I'll check it this weekend before I order a pump. What could be wrong with it? Just a burnt wire or pulled out of the plug?

JedWele

aka "boostfiend"
Established Member
There is a relay that you can jump to see if it comes on that may help your troubleshooting process. I will see if I can find the pics.

JedWele

aka "boostfiend"
Established Member
Not really , its located on the passenger side kinda behind bumper, close to the fender. If you crawl under there you will see it, lot easier if you jack it up a little.

Mr Incredible

Established Member
Ok I jumpered the pump and got under and played with the plug and got the pump to turn on. WOO HOO!! But, I could put pressure on the plug in different directions and make the pump speed up and slow down. I went ahead and zip tied the plug in a good position and then took out the jumper wire. Then I put the jumper wire back in and the pump didn't turn on!!
So I got under and played with the plug again and it turned on but when I removed and replaced the jumper wire it did the same thing again, wouldn't turn on. WTF!! Is it a bad plug or a bad pump?????

JedWele

aka "boostfiend"
Established Member
Hard to say, if you got a ohm meter you can check and see if its getting power or not when it’s not wanting to turn, if it is , could be something internally loose in the pump or it could just be going bad

HISSMAN

The Great Bearded One
Super Moderator
Just watch about getting a pump that flows to fast. You need the water to be in the Heat exchanger for a little bit of time in order for the heat to transfer properly. With an aftermarket HE, I would say that you would be fine due to the larger capacity, I would just stay with the factory pump if you still have a stock HE. On that note, does anyone actually still have the stock HE? That was probably one of my first mods if I remember right.

Ironhand

Banned
SoCalHarley said:
That pump flows better than the Cobra pump from what I was told and is much cheaper... I think the Cobra pump was more than twice the price.

I replaced mine after it completely failed and fried the 10amp fuse as well, with a GT500 pump and have noticed at 5 degree drop in temps.. But that was with the same temp outside. So that could all have been just due to humidity(sp?). Plus it was only 90 Bucks. :) Now they are alot higher in price.

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
i disagree.

take a hot skillet off the stove, and run it under water. which cools it off sooner - lots and lots of water cascading over it, or less water, but staying on the skillet longer? total flow is what matters. get as much flow as you can.

gt500, lightning and cobra use the same pump.

JedWele

aka "boostfiend"
Established Member
Yeah some of the aftermarket ones people use , flow extremly high GPM , but not the one listed on buyfordracing.com

Users who are viewing this thread