intercooler mix?

CobraEd

Established Member
Well we went into a ditch and smashed the intercooler to the point that it is leaking. Once I replace it, what do I put in for coolant regular yellow antifreeze and water at a 50/50 mix? The original coolant was a yellow green color.

Ed

The Traveler

Established Member
I am assuming you meant you smashed the heat exchanger and not the intercooler? If the original coolant was more yellow, then you should put the gold premium coolant in it. 50/50 with distilled water is always good or you can increase the coolant percentage a little. Too bad it happened but now is great time for an aftermarket heat exchanger.

Spotless 10th

Established Member
Increase the coolant %?? No flame but you want about 25% coolant (GOLD) and 75% water. Water cools 4.? times better then coolant. If you live north where it still gets below freezeing use a little more coolant.

SVTADVISOR

The Cobra Doctor
Established Member
Go 50/50 mix and try to use distilled water or water that does not have alot of lime in it.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Sounds like you have the Gold coolant. It's important to know because you can't mix the two offered on the '03s -- Gold and Green.

CobraEd

Established Member
Now I am concerned. I guess the color I saw was "YELLOW". So which coolant was that?

Ed

nugen

Established Member
Uh oh, here goes the Water Wetter argument again. Good stuff, but it'll turn the coolant red.

RickSvt

Its Fast
Established Member
If you drain it out all the way, you will be ok with whatever you chose to use. Just make sure that you get it all out and dont have any air in the system.

Rick

Spotless 10th

Established Member
Gold, During hotter months, the SVT owners manual and SVT reccomend useing more water, not 50/50. Radiator is another thing but still more water in hotter months. Coolant is more for an antifreeze, lubricant, and for corrsion. Use distilled water ONLY, not filtered or other.

Last edited:

SolidSnake

Unleashing Hell
Established Member
Why can't ya mix coolants...green and yellow? I just put my KB on and I threw in some Prestone stuff that was orange, mixed it with the yellow that was originally in there. And when I went to JDM for my heat exchanger, they threw a little bit of green in there too. So my fluid is a hodgepodge of color, mostly orange looking now.......

Users who are viewing this thread