Intercooler fluid quick quesetion

vortech1120

Established Member
Hey everyone, I just have a quick question.

I just bought a higher mileage 04 termi BONE STOCK and I'm doing some general maintenance, and noticed that there is ALMOST NO intercooler fluid. Will I be safe putting the Ford Gold intercooler fluid? I'm not sure if it has green or yellow currently and I tried taking off the hoses and nothing came out.

Thanks

Bad03Vert

Hello 5.0
Established Member
The Gold stuff will work, just make sure to flush the old out.

Make sure nothing is leaking when the system is full, I got hosed when I bought my Terminator......had an intercooler leak under the blower.

Last edited:

Bad03Vert

Hello 5.0
Established Member
You should be able to find it at your local Ford dealer. You could also find Xerex G-05 coolant at an auto parts store which is a close equivalent.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Distilled water and Amsoil coolant booster here.. No anti-freeze due to my location.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
You guys running distiller water without a significant percentage of antifreeze are setting yourselves up for a much more agressively corrosive mixture.

Bottled filtered drinking water would be a much better choice for high water percentage mixtures and is most certainly preferred for straight water systems as often dictated by many race tracks.

Do a search look into it, when water is completely striped of minerals it basically developes an ionic need or "hunger" to replace them. Aluminum is the softest most available mineral for distilled water to dissolve and absorb.

Radiators, heater cores, cylinder heads are all going to be subject to more aggressive corrosion when using distilled if there is no antifreeze in the mix to pacify the water and help protect against corrosion.

Don't take my word for it, do a little research and see for yourselves.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
You guys running distiller water without a significant percentage of antifreeze are setting yourselves up for a much more agressively corrosive mixture.

Bottled filtered drinking water would be a much better choice for high water percentage mixtures and is most certainly preferred for straight water systems as often dictated by many race tracks.

Do a search look into it, when water is completely striped of minerals it basically developes an ionic need or "hunger" to replace them. Aluminum is the softest most available mineral for distilled water to dissolve and absorb.

Radiators, heater cores, cylinder heads are all going to be subject to more aggressive corrosion when using distilled if there is no antifreeze in the mix to pacify the water and help protect against corrosion.

Don't take my word for it, do a little research and see for yourselves.

Calm down Jimmy, I didn't see that he put distilled water. I'm actually running spring water and amsoil coolant boost. I understand the difference and effects of distilled and reverse osmosis filtered water. Spring or good old tap water only here :coolman:

Thanks for the warning though:beer:

Last edited:

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Calm down Jimmy, I didn't see that he put distilled water. I'm actually running spring water and amsoil coolant boost. I understand the difference and effects of distilled and reverse osmosis filtered water. Spring or good old tap water only here :coolman:

Thanks for the warning though:beer:

I could not be more calm.;-)

Unless I was actually napping.:-D

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Yea I actually ****ed myself by putting distilled water in there.. For some reason I thought that was what I needed.. It's only been in the system for about 2 weeks. I'm switching it out this weekend for filtered water with coolant booster.. FML

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Yea I actually ****ed myself by putting distilled water in there.. For some reason I thought that was what I needed.. It's only been in the system for about 2 weeks. I'm switching it out this weekend for filtered water with coolant booster.. FML

and I told you not to use Distilled water without anti-freeze last year.

Son, I am disappoint. :lol1:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
and I told you not to use Distilled water without anti-freeze last year.

Son, I am disappoint. :lol1:

LOL I just drained it and filled it with the proper water.. No Coolant boost right now, It'll come in on Friday I think..

LOL You think I remembered that from last year lol!!?? I should have just called and asked before hand.. Oh well. It's all flushed out now lol.

Users who are viewing this thread