Intercooler cleaning and plug check

Brahmus

SVT Cajun
Established Member
After 45K miles since the swap and after hearing what I think was detontion during a recent datalogging session I decided it was a good Idea to check the intercooler and pull the Denso IT22's (since I've heard mixed reviews from them. I have a cheap Razor's edge oil seperator, have since day one. Well obviously it doesn't work.. haha
760618.jpg

760621.jpg

I've also noticed flaking from the rotors. Should I remove them from the blower and remove the coating left? What should I use? Any pointers?

760620.jpg

760619.jpg

I've used carb cleaner on my L to clean the intercooler in the past but is there something that works better? I used oven cleaner in the C&L worked much better than the carb cleaner but I'm worried it's to harsh for the intercooler. And is it work it to do the PCV delete? Can I do that without a retune if my tune is rich enough?

Brahmus

SVT Cajun
Established Member
Next I pulled the plugs, gap seems to be fairly close. I'm no expert at reading plugs so tell me what you see. They are #1 starting on the left going right. I do notice 3 and 4 have a green tint to them. What does this mean?

760622.jpg

760623.jpg

760624.jpg

So my plans are to check the gaps on the Denso's are reinstall. Clean intercooler with ??? clean blower (removing coating??) PCV delete?? and do some datalogging.

Comments concerns?

morrison_205

Established Member
some say oven cleaner works good but i tried it didnt work well at all, i then grabbed some carb cleaner and it melted right off. and the obvious you need a real oil seperator.

Z7What

Powered By Eaton
Established Member
WOW THATS DIRTY!!!!! I say do the PCV delete. How does detonation sound? Should i be worried? Also i have some BR7's if you want them. If you are able to come Wednesday night you can pick them up.

Wayne

Last edited:

throttle jockey

Stock Block 11 Sec. Club
Established Member
I've haven't used this method to clean the IC, but get a five gallon bucket (from Home Depot or the likes) fill it with a solution of Simple Green/Castrol Super Clean and water. Cap off the IC to keep the internals clean, then soak it in the solution. I'm not sure of the soak time, but 15-20 minutes should do. Rinse with fresh water. Repeat if necessary.

Also, why not switch over to NGK TR-6? Excellent plugs, easy to come by, and much more reasonably priced. I bought IT-22s but my tuner highly advised I run the TR-6s instead. Been very happy with them for a couple of years now.

Last edited:

Brahmus

SVT Cajun
Established Member
I'm not opposed to TR6's. It's just that the denso's "should" last longer. And "if it ain't broke don't fix it."

I "think" a cheaper route would be to do the PCV delete instead of another oil seperator. And that would guarantee NO oil in the future.

I didn't think of acetone!

Brahmus

SVT Cajun
Established Member
Z7What said:
WOW THATS DIRTY!!!!! I say do the PCV delete. How does detonation sound? Should i be worried? Also i have some BR7's if you want them. If you are able to come Wednesday night you can pick them up.

Wayne

You should always be leary of detonation. It's what kills these motors. I'm told it sounds like a can of rocks rattling around. Mine didn't sound quite like that at 5K rpms. But as explained, that would be an awful fast rattling. But I don't know what else it could have been.

Brahmus

SVT Cajun
Established Member
Well the carb cleaner seem to work best on the intercooler while the brake cleaner worked better on the plenum. Go figure.

Got the rotor pack out the blower and started stripping. Using paint remover works well. But how close should I get to the plate, I don't want any to get between the rotors and that plate or down into the seals. Is it critical to get every speck off?

I have used the GM supercharger oil before, what are the other options?

FordFanStan

Established Member
I think it sort of funny yet cool the two main SvtP lifted L powered F-150's are both from LA. Is there ever going to be an L powered F-150 muddin' video? I would absolutely love to see that... Stan

venomous

snapping like a squirrel
Established Member
Brake cleaner is good to finish off when you clean it because it does not leave any residue. To prevent any future oil, I just capped off the line at the inlet at the top, then got a line merge and ran the vacuum/line to the back and problem solved. Never had any future oil problems

Brahmus

SVT Cajun
Established Member
FordFanStan@DMP said:
I think it sort of funny yet cool the two main SvtP lifted L powered F-150's are both from LA. Is there ever going to be an L powered F-150 muddin' video? I would absolutely love to see that... Stan

He lives about 2 hours from me and I helped him with his swap, it's contagious.. haha

I'm sure we can arrange a vid like that one day. The problem is both of us like to keep our rides clean.. haha

Z7What