Inter cooler issues

FL Steve

Established Member
So I noticed one day that my ic reservoir didn't look like the pump was working. Coolant was completely still. After the car cooled I started to pull the cap off and coolant started pushing out for the reservoir making a big mess. I checked the pump fuse. Fuse was fine the I jumped the pump power at the relay. Pump was working but wasn't pumping coolant. Burped the system a few times and got coolant to flow. (Not a very strong flow though). I could hardly tell it was flowing again just by looking through the reservoir bottle. Drove the car a few more times and once again I look at the pump and doesn't look like it's running. Let the car cool off then start unscrewing the reservoir cap and coolant starts to push itself out and overflow out of the reservoir. I have no way of checking the iat2 temp right now so I can't tell if the pump is kicking in while driving. Ordered a new relay and waiting on that. Anyone have any other ideas of what is going on here? Fluid does not push out of the reservoir while driving the car. Thanks for any input!

hotcobra03

Established Member
These pumps are trash...very common issue

stock setting pump comes on at 70deg from reading threads.

Some have replaced brushes but soon back to dead pump..

I need a new 1...been couple yrs. Now its been out..I see no change without it on stock

01yellercobra

Established Member
These pumps are trash...very common issue

stock setting pump comes on at 70deg from reading threads.

Some have replaced brushes but soon back to dead pump..

I need a new 1...been couple yrs. Now its been out..I see no change without it on stock
You've been driving without a working intercooler pump for a couple years? That's really not good. When mine went out my temps maxed at 160 degrees. This was in the winter in California.

FL Steve

Established Member
You've been driving without a working intercooler pump for a couple years? That's really not good. When mine went out my temps maxed at 160 degrees. This was in the winter in California.

367,000 miles.....I think his car is doing alright!

I get your point though. I personally don't want to drive my car without a properly functioning IC pump.

01yellercobra

Established Member
367,000 miles.....I think his car is doing alright!

I get your point though. I personally don't want to drive my car without a properly functioning IC pump.

It'll drive fine. I ended up driving mine about 150 miles that night. But I stayed out of boost which kind of ruins the point of driving the car.

Next time the car is up to temp tap on the pump. When mine went out it I could get it to run by tapping on it, but it wouldn't run for very long. I ordered a new one the next day.

FL Steve

Established Member
It'll drive fine. I ended up driving mine about 150 miles that night. But I stayed out of boost which kind of ruins the point of driving the car.

Next time the car is up to temp tap on the pump. When mine went out it I could get it to run by tapping on it, but it wouldn't run for very long. I ordered a new one the next day.

I guess I'll stop messing with it and buy another pump. From what I'm reading they're a highly consumable part. I just didn't think mine would be giving me problems so soon.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
The nice part is the Cobra, Shelby and Lightning all use the exact same pump. The only differences are the bracket that attaches them. So when you call Tasca or who ever just price the cheapest of the three (seems to vary) and swap on your factory bracket and you're set.

Users who are viewing this thread