Intake manifold porting pictures... your thoughts please

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
I have a question here, and some comments. If this SC kit is built for that much power and its creating that much heat, why would you want to recirculate hotter than ambient air back into the SC? I realize that these cars use a MAF stock which requires the air to be recirculated for fuel mapping purposes, but I would think that at that kind of power it would be better to run SD so that there is no issue with going rich when you let off the throttle from dumping previously metered air. If your outside temp is 100 Deg and your heating that air to 300-400 deg it would be much better to continue pulling in 100 deg air rather than recirculating air that was only cooled to 130-150 deg. Just my thinking here. If there is more than the MAF air metering issue then I would love to know what it is. Not arguing. Just asking questions. I have done a decent amount of tuning on turbo applications and this is how I personally dealt with the issues related to off throttle fuel enrichment from using a MAF system. I know nothing about the tuning of these cars so if my past experience is completely irelevant or counter to the best way to tune these cars I can deal with that.

It sounds like the concern is that when the blower is moving more air than the engine can ingest, that heated air gets pushed back up through the rotors if it isn't bypassed, and will causes the rotors to heat up/swell/lock up. Not much of a way around this other than the trick FGT setup posted earlier that has an external intercooler with wastegates acting as bypass valves.

Blu13gt

Established Member
Let me re state my question. If there is a concern with temperature rise on the rotors after a run, why not vent the extra airflow to the atmosphere rather than recirculating it? The only reason I can think of to not do this is because the car comes with a MAF which would cause a rich condition as soon as you vent the air since the MAF would have already calculated the vented air into the needed A/F ratio causing an extreme rich condition as soon as you lift off the throttle.
The way we would get past this issue on turbo systems was to put the MAF in a blow through configuration or to switch to speed density. I don't see a way to put the MAF in blow through for this setup so that leaves the only option as being SD IF rotor over heating is this big of an issue. I'm not a S/C guy so I am completely aware that I Might be missing or misunderstanding something here. But if rotor heat is a concern, and in a water to air intercooler heating the IC system is a concern as well. Why wouldn't you vent the un-needed boost(hot air) before the IC, you wont have un needed air being cooled by the IC, you wont have hot air being recirculated into the supercharger(hotter than ambient), convert to SD so that the air wont ACTUALLY be metered and you wont have an extremely rich condition when off throttle.

jazz05

Established Member
Well i will jump in, haha, yes the maf is the problem, unless u opt for a standalone with sd, you are stuck regurgitating hot air, the hot rotor deal is a little contentious but absolutely iat's suffer from this, or shall i say there is room for improvement

Blu13gt

Established Member
Ok. Thank you. it seemed like a problem that could be easily solved to me(easily being relative to just stating a solution). I'm not sure how difficult a stand alone SD system would be but it seems to me like it would be the best solution for a high HP car if all the things brought up in this thread are actually a concern to the owner.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Cost and complexity would be the drawbacks. I think D3 makes a plug and play harness for ProEFI but if you want to run a different system you'll be stuck figuring out the wiring and making a harness. Most good standalone systems are not cheap and all the desirable options and addons add up quick. Then once you get everything installed and set, your tuner that is familiar with your car on SCT may be familiar with whatever new EFI system you put in your car, leaving you to find someone else to tune it. For a max effort build, standalone makes sense. For the other 99%, tuning the factory EFI with SCT does what it needs to.

Users who are viewing this thread